Register now to get rid of these ads!

turbo 400 question????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDSLED, Feb 29, 2004.

1. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

I just finished installing a 500" caddy motor and turbo 400 in my 66 ford pick up. the problem is it takes off in second gear most of the time and wont down shift unless you are going less than 20mph's or so. I dont have a manual for it yet just wonderin if any of you have had this problem. the vaccum line is metal and appears to be suckin just fine.
    any help is much appreciated
    FED

2. DrJ

DrJ

Is your idle set too high?
    That'll do that to it.

3. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I'd pull the govenor out. Cut the nail heads off and polish the valve up with 320 or 400 grit paper wet.

Be very easy on the valve. You can use a wire folded over to hold some 320 paper and polish the valve bore of the govenor with a drill motor.

Reassemble with some new nails from home depot. Check for free valve movement when compressing both weights at the same time.

Will not down shift under 20 mph? Do you have an electrial switch hooked up for kick down or do i miss understand the statement?

4. McGrath

McGrath

What did you have to do to get the Caddy Motor mounted? Heres a Pic of the 350 in my '65 F100. It set right down on the Ford Frame towers using '69 Chevy truck Motor mounts. I had to make a Crossmember for the TH350.