Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tunnel ram carb mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

I looked at an old Edelbrock tunnel ram for sale with the carbs mounted sideways. Someone built some decent linkage but haven't seen many with the carbs mounted this way. Any disadvantage to mounting them this way? The bowls point towards the fenders, not front to rear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen many like this. If you look down in the carbs then open the throttles about a 1/4 you will see that the actual gasoline mixes at the discharge valves and aims into the middle of the large chamber under them. Wide open each barrel should be aiming at a port then the mixed fuel is on both sides of the butterflies. Best would be Holley center squirters for racing but tough on the street... Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I would think jet changes become a lot easier sideways mounted

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

It's really...50-50 either way.
    Per jimmy six's comment, no, in all cases, you're dealing with two...four barrels with progressive linkage for Holley's I assume..!? In most any case, while at "part throttle", four runners will have open throttle blades, four runners will have closed runners above them.
    While at full throttle...all eight runners will have open throttle blades...no mater the carburetor direction/orientation.
    Edelbrock carburetors fit easily either way, Holleys are a pretty tight fit and may not fit on your manifold in a front to rear direction. They may NEED to fit sideways.

As far as the engine is concerned, no...either direction works pretty much the same.

Mike

saltflats likes this.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sideways makes jetting holleys much easier and faster.