Register now to get rid of these ads!

tuning a chevy six with two carb intake???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled51, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Ok chevy six gurus, what do I need to do to get it running good? I am working on a 55 chevy with an original 6 popper in it. It has a Offy two carb intake, has been updated with an electronic ignition. It has original style carbs on it (Rochester 2bbl). What do I need to do as far as tuning the carbs? Smaller jets? No chokes? Help, because I need to get this thing running and I am not familiar with sixes at all. Thanks.

2. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

get it to stay running. then with it warmed up-

turn one needle in all the way. then turn the other in till it starts studdering out, turn it out 1/4 turn. (shut the car off)then turn it back in, count the number of turns it takes till it stops. mark it down on a piece of paper. then do the same thing to the other carb, except this time leave that one where it is, and turn the one back out to the setting you wrote down.

keep the chokes. just lean them out a little.

sounds complicated but its easy i have the same setup.

3. onefish

onefish

I had a similar setup a little while back. Check out inliners.org. There is a lot of info over there. There is a tech article about tweaking rochesters to work right in this type of setup somewhere in the tech section. I never went through the process because mine seemed to work ok. Leaked like crazy though and my girlfriend could never get it running. She would flood it out all the time and by the time I got there it would crank right up. All my problems seemed to be electrical so make sure you have all of that buttoned up.