Register now to get rid of these ads!

tunes for your hot rod and custom??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedRacer2002, Jul 26, 2007.

1. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

ok guys been doing alot of systems in old cars at the shop lately and wondering if anyone on the board would be interested in me throwing a package together with a 4 channel amp 4 speakers (choice of size) a subwoofer 10 or 12 inch in a box and all the nesecary wiring. most everyone i have done these for is using a ipod or similar unit for a headunit so they dont have a big new looking stereo in the dash... and i can also make one that comes with a headunit with a front input for a mp3 player.... and all the product would be JVC its not a unreliable brand and everything does come with a warranty through me... im thinking around 350 or less without a headunit and 475 with a headunit.... what ya think guys???? would i be wasting my time???

2. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

43 views and not one opinion??? damn everyone has opinions on everthing else....

3. It sounds like a good deal. I used to to high end installs years ago so I handle my own. But anymore I just listen to the Flowmaster HushPower muffs and enjoy the scenery. Good luck Joe

4. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

Sounds like a good price but I just installed a system in the coupe although I am not entirely happy with how the read deck worked out.

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

I've toyed with the idea of installing something in my '35 sedan but it would have to be tucked away out of sight. I wouldn't be interested in boomin' loud ass noise so it wouldn't have to generate 1000 watts. I'm old........I don't do "loud" anymore.

6. Would you be interested in putting together a simpler system for us roadster guys? I'd like to get something iPod-based, with no head unit at all. It would require a cigarette lighter-style powersource plug (I've already put one under my seat in the riser), plus an input jack for the iPod feed. I've been told that I'd need to install a rheostat/volume control in the input feed, but that could be a knob on the seat riser, too. Then all it would take would be a small amp and a couple of speakers. Once I get to where I'm going, I stick the iPod and the cable in my pocket and I'm good to go.

Does this make any sense?

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

What brand of components?? kraco, nope! Eclipse, Sweeeeet!

8. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

JVC on every component roadster guys i could do like two 6" mids and a small amp with wire kit for like under 200 and the ipod has a built in volume controll so no need for a reastat.... but someone wanted eclipse pioneer panasonic polk rockford fosgate memphis or arc audio i can get that too..

9. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i might be interested in this, i wasnt really thinking about a stereo too much, but wouldnt mind having a little bit of tunage, a ten would be more than enough for a sub, plus that would keep box size down.

hmmm.......

10. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I do not need speakers,amps, players,woofers, got all of that stuff, I need ipod capability and satelite:confused: what do I need to do or get, what is mp3 player? does that have anything to do with a ipod?

Someone should do a tech on this and simplify it, I think it would be usefull info for us "non electronic" folk.

11. Better quality sound comes out the bottom of the iPod thru the "big" plug than thru the speaker jack. But since the volume on this line-out is not controlled by the wheel on the iPod, an in-line volume control would have to be part of the package. You'd also have to deal with Power, 'cause it comes out of this plug, too.

It would be a pretty elegant solution, and eliminate the need for the cigarette lighter power plug.

But it would take some creative cabling and jacks to really do right, huh?

12. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

the ipod situation isnt that hard to take care of if you use a headunit that suports it ... i have used the jvcs and the jensen headunits that are extremely easy to use..... i guess i could do a tech article on this if anyone realy wants... you do loose sound quality on using the headphone output of the ipod though....

13. I just run old tapedecks, in fact I have a couple here that came in a lot of stuff for $20, that I turned around and sold one thing out of for $20. I figure I can live with it, I don't need to be able to open the trunk and propel myself along using the base line from a Lynyrd Skynyrd song - and who's going to bust in to steal a shitty old tapedeck anyhow? Even the one in my daily I bought for all of $10 at the flea market.