Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Great googley moogley. Looks great with all that shine, in and out...

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work on the deuglying the previous owners misguided ways. The car looks great and will become a great family cruiser .

3. It should. We wet sanded it with 1500, then 2000 and finished with 3,000. We buffed it with a rubbing compound, then # 2 followed by #3 Meguires. It was a lot of work, but well worth it

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the info. I'll find a spot and give it a try.

5. Antiqued

Antiqued

Chris,
    What brand and size (including width) are your wheels and tires? Great job!

6. Wheels are original 16" Fords, I would assume 4 or 4.5", tires are 6.00 16 fronts and 7.50 16 rears...although this is not the tires and wheels that will go on it. I have a set of 16x4 and 6.00 16" for the front and 16x4.5 and 7.00 16's for the rear.

lewk likes this.
  7. Antiqued

Antiqued

Great. I appreciate your fast response. What tires are your preference ? Have you been happier with one brand over another ?

8. I've only ever run Firestones because I love the way they look. They act and handle like a bias ply tire...some people hate that, but I love old cars that drive like old cars.

Bigjake, glendale and cactus1 like this.
  9. Over the weekend I pulled both front and rear springs and reversed the main leaves. It has longer shackles in the front and I put a set on the rear as well. Put it together and it already looks a lot better. The car will get that dropped axle soon enough, as well

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I love your build threads! lotsa elbow grease and swap meet parts and you build gorgeous cars.

Local to me there is a handful of older guys with 46-48 fords they built in the late 60's that are extremely similar to what you are shooting for, and Ive always had a soft spot for these fords...

11. Thanks! All it takes is a vision, a little cash and some work.

young'n'poor and Flowmeister like this.
  12. Looks like a completely different car already!

13. Squablow

Squablow

Car looks great, paint buffed out really nice. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers with the thread title thing. Looks like you're really doing it justice.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a perfect '46 Coupe in '61 that I got from a young pal for $12! Not a dent, but painted the maroon car Washington Blue, reversed '50 Merc wheels (Buick rims reversed & welded to Merc centers on rear, 6.5" wide) Wheels also got the Washington Blue color, black tires. (8.20 X 15 rear, 6.70 X 15 front)
    Car sat 'tall', slight rake...331" Reath Chrysler, Hansen 6-71 blower, Moon triple Vee belt drive.
    '41 Ford pickup box felt 'threatened'...

A friend has given me a rust free '47 Fordor, Posies 'in-da-dirt' kit, (4" dropped axle, flat/reversed front spring) and we have grandchildren.
    Your '46 thread here is MOST inspiring! Great direction, everything is SO correct! (unpolitically so)
    Anxious for the trim to be restored...especially around the windows. Dash is supreme!
    Great choice of rolling rubber...Install that Anson! :cool:

15. The car is going to my friend Dusty's shop (he owns a minor collision/paint shop) sometime this week to have a few little touch ups done and a couple parts repainted (will be a basic enamel, not the flatz and buffed). The car has one spot on the passenger side fender where it looks like something fell against it. Hard enough to put a shallow dent and crack the paint. Dusty offered to fix it and respray some small parts that need a little attention (grill, front and rear gravel pans and tail light housings). So it needs to be mobile. After I get it back, I will do the front end and slowly start putting the trim on. Last night I re-drilled the holes for the stainless on top of the tail lights. Why you would shave such a neat detail is beyond me, but they are fixed, now. I still need the passenger front fender trim. I want to get all of the trim and get it polished up and ready to install before I start doing anything.

16. flatford39

flatford39

I made one of those bucks after reading loudpedals how to as well. It works great. Looks like you had to extend yours a little. Different bottle jack???

17. Yes, it's been raised to fit a different jack. I could not use this jig, the spring eyes on these late springs were too big for the square tubing on the jig, so I used my dads press instead. Same idea...

18. This is kind of dumb but what the hell. My most favorite movie ever: American Graffiti. I love the skull hanging on Falpha's rear view mirror

image.jpeg

Finally after hunting for an old one for years, I found an old 60's plastic scull still in the plastic sealed bag. Hung it on my mirror tonight. You can tell it don't take much to satisfy me

image.jpeg

19. F-head

F-head

20. I picked thes up from a member on here and they arrived yesterday. Very nice pair of 15x6 Americans in big Ford pattern. Now all I need is a set of 15x4's for the front. I want these to be able to run on the roadster or this 46 time to time. They will especially fit the 46 well when it gets that 283 ;)

image.jpeg

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit! That ´s lookin pretty shine for a flat black car! Very well done, I love the new dash too!

22. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

That dash!!

brad2v likes this.
  23. Chris does it AGAIN!!

The man knows no limits when it comes to doing magic with early Fords. Amazing.

24. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Love the paint!

25. HAHA I don't know about that.

26. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

like the skull and the wheels...

27. Loaded it up and took it to Dustys paint shop last night. Hope to be putting it together soon. It was nice to see it out of my driveway. Don't mind the hood gap, I need to correct that

image.jpeg image.jpeg

28. belair

belair

You really pulled that one back from the brink.

29. F-head

F-head

you could spray flat clear on that to go with the red wheels

lewk and Chris like this.
  30. You're reading my mind, Bruce