Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trying to set lash the proper way on a SBC 350!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuLLeTCoLeKToR, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Well, the reason I told him what I did is because , if he went ahead as planned, tomorrow he might be on here asking about where to get custom length push rods, when in actuality , he probably doesn't need any. He's probably working with lifters in various stages of compression. This, after all that hand cranking and setting and re-setting valves, with no oil pressure.
    The reason I didn't tell him how to make a solid lifter at the height he needs, is because I didn't think he needed to know that, at this stage of the game.
    Remember now , he still has no idea what kind of lifters he's got, I don't believe.
    I will only suggest doing things that may match his current skill and equipment level.
    But, thanks for your concern , seriously.

BuLLeTCoLeKToR likes this.
  2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I use a push rod length checker to and adjustable push rod determine push rod length needed, Proform part #66789 for 3/8 rocker arm studs and they make one for 7/16 studs for sbc. It is also nice to have a adjustable push rod, but you can do it with out it when you see how far off things are off with the gauge.
    With lifter on the back side of cam rise, slide the gauge on the stud and adjust the push rod length so the gauge touches both the valve stem and adjusted push rod.
    Remove the push rod and measure it. That is the length you need.;)

With AFR heads and maybe a decked block all standard dimensions are history. You gotta start from scratch.

Norb

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. The trunnion does look off-center. They come apart easily enough. Do it over a paper towel so you can catch anything that falls out of it. Comp Cams does rebuild those, do they offer a kit?

4. Yep !!
    A good rocker next the worn one.

I'm wondering how it snapped the ball end off and didn't bend the pushrod.

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I lost the end of one of my pushrods about 5,000.00 miles ago...not sure why. Had a loud tick I thought was a bad lifter, I bought new lifters and pushrods and rocker arms, I knew what my cam was so it was easy to get the right parts...did you find out what cam is in it yet? sorry I skipped ahead

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Hot rod did a dyno test and found no advantages with fancy rockers. stamped roller tip rockers work fine

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  7. Just an update...i tried looking for these rocker arms and also contacted COMP Cams to see if they had some old/new stock...no word yet. I also went ahead and looked over all my pushrods and rocker arms to see if there were any parts going bad. From what i can see...the rest of the parts look to be fine (at least what i can visually see). The hydraulic lifters are also fine from what i can feel (feels springy ...unless thats a bad thing) I also looked at the wear pattern on the valve tip? (Where the rocker arm roller bearing? sits on top of a rod with a spring under it? Opposite the pushrod) and i can actually see the wear line and it shows wear right in the middle of that valve rod end. I will try to do the best job i possibly can when setting lash also...gonna ask my buddy for a spare solid lifter also to check geometry (he has solid lifters in his 69 Chevelle). I have a few pics to show you all. Also, the under side of all rocker arms look ok too, you can see for yourselves, but i would buy a new set if you all think otherwise...if need be. I hope this doesnt upset a few of u all, but i am putting in an order for just a few 7.300 rods just to see if this will run as well as the previous owner says it did. Oh, i was also in need of knowing...what is end A and end B at the ends of the pushrod mean.
    I will do more work this weekend and am quite exhausted with all the researching and verifying of worn parts and unforseen setbacks, but i am up for it, i am trying to do what you have all taught me, it is just taking a bit of comprehending all this knowledge, even after watching videos and reading...i will need to learn the mechanics touch. Work in progress, but its all making sense.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    saltflats likes this.
  8. What the hell is going on here ?
    Why does the valve stem look so short and flush with the locks/keeper?
    Is that the one with the busted push rod?
    That's definitely an issue
    image.jpeg

9. Fordors

Fordors

It is adjacent to the valve cover bolt hole so that makes it no. 1 intake. The pushrod problem is on no. 1 exhaust. It was the camera angle that makes it look odd although some may disagree.
    Look at Bullet’s second photo above, the stem is the same height as the others.

10. I can't tell one way or the other.
    However the camera would have to be 100% overhead and directed down the center of the valve stem, o photograph in drafting plan view if you will. It's clear the camera was not doing that but I can't even confirm what side of the engine that is on.

11. No, that is #1 intake, it is the same height as the rest of the valves, bad camera angle again...i was trying to show the wear line on #3 intake so that you all could see the wear pattern is down the middle on the valve rod. Sorry for the bad pic...maybe i need to upgrade my Note5 after i fix my 55!

12. Yes, this is true...all heights are the same

13. That's good and bad for you.
    Good because it's not a problem.
    Bad because that's not the problem and your still looking for the problem

14. Guess that depends on the rest of your valve train and heads. I use roller fulcrum rockers on my canted valve heads, I kept breaking stamped steel rockers. Broke them often enough that I kept a spare in the glove box and could change a rocker faster then most people could change a tire on the side of the road. LOL

Besides no one ever puffed up their chest at the hot dog stand and proudly announced, "I'm Runnin' Stamped Steel Rockers!!!!" :D :D :D :D

saltflats and BuLLeTCoLeKToR like this.
  15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Beaner...ya got me

I don't know aluminum heads at all so forgive me for asking but are the dark oil stains normal?

16. Yeah, i know...will update as soon as i get new parts in, someone had said that i may just be stuck with a cursed truck...maybe Holy water is all i need! ;)

17. The oil in this truck does need to be changed out badly, i was gonna change it out as soon as i find whats wrong...but it has Lokar dipsticks which is gonna be a PITA to refill. I also bought Zinc additive to add to my oil when i do change it out, but oil is for sure in need of changing.

18. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

what do your valve covers look like? Do they have breathers in them? That would be where you add the oil.

19. RmK57

RmK57

You can take one your hydraulic lifters apart and make it a solid for checking geometry.
    Take the clip out and fill in the shell with washers and reinstall the clip. Good enough for
    getting your push rod lengths right.

pat59 likes this.
  20. Lots of scary stuff inside a lifter for a rookie.
    But That's how we move past rookie and develop an understanding.

21. Only when they leak. :D

My heads claimed that stock rockers would work actually. What they failed to mention was that stock long slot rockers were required and low lift cam shaft ( lower then my L79).

Dow glass cleaner (commercial) and the car wash will get the oil stains out. Get your engine hot, apply the glass cleaner liberally, wait about 20 minutes and blast away at the car wash (or your home pressure washer if you got one). Lowes used to have the glass cleaner in the cleaning products isle.

22. Wow, always wondered what those ports were their for...so just poor your oil down the open port on the valve covers? Mind blown...again

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, now you're messin with us, right?

BuLLeTCoLeKToR and Dooley like this.
  24. Hahahaha...NOPE!!!:p

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^This is like a train wreck, can't turn away, I am back in! ^^^^^^

26. In all honesty, i have always done things the way i was taught, change brake pads when brakes squeak, do oil changes when maintenance book requires, poor transmission fluid in dip stick tube and poor oil in screw cap on my V6 S-10 valve cover...HAHAHA! yah got me, its the same thing...minus the screw down cap, damn im an idiot! Well, i guess i do fill the oil up the same way...is this kinda like when my dad would say something like 8 track tapes? Let me hide for a bit, I'll be back...:oops:

27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Don't beat yourself up your learning faster than I did and seems like your dedicated to learning and fixing the problem that's a plus!

28. mountainman2

mountainman2

Exactly! Man wants to learn and is not afraid to admit when he doesn't know something. Too many come on here and ask a question and then spend pages arguing with everyone that answers.

henryj1951 likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is true, got to admire a guy that's not afraid to admit he needs help, and is thankful to those who try to help.

henryj1951 likes this.