Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to find dad's '31 in PA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reichart90, Jul 9, 2007.

1. reichart90

reichart90

My dad and I always enjoyed watching American Graffiti together and on most occasions he would tell me the same old story of the night he went to see it for the first time at the movie theater on Main Street in our town, not having really a clue about the movie except that it was about cars. At the time, 1973, he was driving a '31 chevy 5window coupe already turned hot rod, with a 283 sbc, full running boards and fenders that were molded into the body, hood and sides, non-chopped roof, primered black his first summer of driving it and then that winter painted it metallic brown, and bolt a set of aluminum slots with mickey thompsons on her... either way a unique ride like no others at the time in our town which much resembled the town in American Graffiti in it's hay day. As he exited the movie theater that night, his car which happened to be parked right in front of the theater on main street was swarmed with people. He moved on from the car numerous times with many "better cars". I hear this story all the time but I never stop him from telling it even though I know it better then he does I think. He knows the area it got sold to, a small town about 20 miles away with a population about 50% Amish i would imagine. He always ends his story.... "I really wish I could find that car..."
    Just recently he built a fiberglass "milner" style 32. He said he owes it all to the little brown chevy coupe and the enjoyment that car gave him was the inspiration.
    Just yesterday my girlfriend took a ride out to the small town in my '55. She made flyers on the way there stating "WANTED: information regarding 1931 chevy 5window coupe sold in the area in the mid 1970s...." We posted them on billboards at the small post office, the only pizza place and the only diner in the town as well as the mom and pop grocery story and the vfw. It's a long shot but how sweet it all could be if the car surfaces. [​IMG]

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

I really hope you're able to find it. And if you do...have a camera ready so we can all see your father's reaction. Good luck.

3. BuickinaBucket

BuickinaBucket
    from Newark, DE

Hey man. Cool story. I'm from the area (Trevorton, near Shamokin in Northumberland Co.) so I'm curious which small town you're referring to. I'll definitely keep a look out. Both of my cars are still stored up there, so I'm in the area often.

Do you know if they're having the Keystone show at the fairgrounds this year?

4. reichart90

reichart90

The 4th Annual Rod and Custom Cruise-In at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds is August 10, 11, and 12. Its getting bigger and bigger every year. For info call 570-387-2000.

The car was sold to someone in Turbotville

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LMAO, I live in Turbotville '69 until '71, I didn't buy it though, I was to young.... Hope he finds it...