Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trying to build a 1920ish Ford roadster body out of this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Mar 10, 2016.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I'll contact him and see if he can rebuild mine. It's running now but for how long nobody knows.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The fuel pump works but flooded the carb so it delivers too much pressure. Luckily I had a Speedway fuel pressure regulator in stock so I fitted it after the pump and it did the trick. Set at 1 the Stromberg 97 doesn't flood now. 20180523_171442.jpg

brEad, N.Ozols, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Front fenders are finished. Made out of a pair of pre-war skis I had in the barn. They belonged to my father in laws father who was a German officer in the war. Unfortunately he died in a Russian prison of war camp in 1946. I also have his water bottle in the car.
    The fender brackets are made up out of Ford F1 shock brackets welded to 1946 sway bar. The triangulated bar is made up out of the center section of a 32 headlight bar welded to cut off 1946 shackle bars. 20180523_144943.jpg 20180523_144948.jpg

Lil'Alb, Outback, rwrj and 2 others like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I don't love the fenders, but I also don't enjoy tickets.

5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The rear fenders are also made out of the skis but needed some steel underneath as they weren't wide enough to cover the tire. Weird design which won't appeal to everyone but they're different that's for sure.
    They're removable anyway but I think I'll run them at Pendine otherwise I'll have sand everywhere.
    I've left the steel sandblasted. In time it'll rust to a nice brown color and blend in better.
    The upper fender brackets are cut off 32 front fender brackets welded to cut off 32 rear wishbones, welded to cut off 32 shock bones. The Con rods on the axle are 32 Deusenberg.

20180523_144953.jpg 20180523_145004.jpg 20180523_145024.jpg

Lil'Alb, rwrj, brEad and 3 others like this.
  6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I tried the traditional spare tire ring solution but it just didn't look old enough.
    I wanted them out of wood. When I found the skis I thought I'd try something wacky and weird.

Lil'Alb, brEad, Dannerr and 1 other person like this.
  7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Bad News. The 1915 radiator is coming back from my radiator shop unrepaired. Needs a new core which is too expensive to do here.

So now I've really hit a barrier. In order to get the radiator fixed I'll need to find a company in the US who know what they're doing and have done dozens before. That'll take time and money, neither of which I have right now.

I'll need to find some other radiator to run with for Pendine. The car will look like shit but it'll run. I'm gutted though because it's the brass radiator which gives the car it's personality. It's the only reason the car was built in the first place.

Outback, Stogy and brEad like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

You're a resourceful fella, I think it's time you learned radiator construction.

I remember Smokey here on the HAMB who was building ALL of a radiator from scratch. He cut and formed every single tube for the honeycomb style radiator. I can't find that old thread, but I can picture it in my head.

Outback, hendelec and Stogy like this.
  9. What about a shell with a junkyard radiator behind it? Like I had in mind...?

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever transpires here it won't be for lack of trying...sorry about the roadblocks...look forward to your sharing the Pendine experience...

11. Sorry to hear about the setback. Don’t let it ruin Pendine for you though! You have already accomplished an amazing task! Maybe someone more local has something you can borrow for the event? Come on H.A.M.B.ers, step up!

12. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Please pics. Remember it is not pressurised. I've "fixed" a lot of model A radiators. So they at least were driveable. A little cleaning and some soldering will get you a long way

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and Dannerr like this.
  13. 1low52

1low52

Sorry to hear your you're 'gutted'( I can understand).
    But seeing what you've accomplished thus far gives me faith that you, sir, will overcome.

Stogy likes this.
  14. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I'm going to try fitting a 28-28 Ford radiator as a temporary fix.

brEad, pcbart, Dannerr and 1 other person like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure your using something in house as mid twenties T comes to mind...29 is a low shell too and pleasing to the eye as well. You have a way with making us believers always...;)...and this is temporary as well.

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I tried about 4 different radiators. The Model-A was much too big. In the end I found some old aluminium radiator that fitted best. Of course it looked like dog poo so I had to do something quickly. Really running out of time here.
    I had an old Pines Winterfront lying around so decided to hide the modern radiator behind it. Made up a shell out of steel to mimic the 1915 T so that my hood would fit.
    This is how it looks after a days work. It'll work for this year anyway.
    20180529_153454.jpg 20180529_153502.jpg 20180529_153521.jpg 20180529_153532.jpg

alanp561, rwrj, patmanta and 9 others like this.
  17. I knew, you would come up with something! For a single days work, it looks fantastic!

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Well I had to do something or it would have looked like This! Really goofy! 20180529_181156.jpg

slv63, Dannerr and Stogy like this.
  19. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

First test drive today. 12 miles to the weighing station and back. Weighs 830kg which is 1830lbs. A bit more than I expected. Drives nicely though. Steering direct and no wobbles. Suspension works nicely. Brakes could be better.
    It's an amazing feeling to make that first drive in a car you've created all by yourself.
    Now waiting for my inspector to come to my shop to inspect the car. Then I can register it.
    Annual tax costs €192 here and liability insurance about €50.
    I've reserved the license number FO-RD 17 for it. Really wanted 14 or 15 but they're not available right now. 20180530_120819.jpg

20. Huge congrats! Really glad on your behalf! :D

How's the heat? Raidator ok? :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  21. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Seems to be. I've depressurized the cap. Also I fitted an automatic bleed valve on top of the head. This is because the water pump is mounted low down. My engine builder suggested it because he feared the head could get air trapped in it.
    Here it is. The tiny chrome button on the blank off plate. 20180530_152426.jpg

Stogy and Dannerr like this.
  22. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

alanp561, Lil'Alb, rwrj and 6 others like this.
  23. Have you any profile pictures of it, after you fitted both hood and fender/skis?

Stogy and Peanut 1959 like this.
  24. atch

atch

I've been watching this since day one; over two years. I've read every response as they were posted. To date I've never commented, but now I must.

Incredible vision on your part. I have no imagination and don't see the possibility of shapes like you obviously do. Congratulations on nearing the finish line and enjoy it to the fullest.

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It's all been a bit rushed at the end, what with Pendine being in one month. The quality is suffering so I'll have to re-visit a few areas over the winter and improve them.
    The hood doesn't fit well. The GM alternator has to go. The original brass radiator needs rebuilding.
    Main thing is to get it registered now so I can drive it around. The fine tuning can happen later. Anyway I've run out of money to put into it for now. Radiator rebuild, 12V generator all costs big money.
    At some time I'd like to find and build a good B 4 cylinder engine. But again - big bucks investment so that'll have to wait. I haven't worked it out but I figure I have less than €5000 invested in money. Lots of hours work though.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic journey to this point @edwardlloyd...and your quite the craftsman. We are very fortunate to have you here.

Congratulations on this milestone...now the people have been patiently waiting and really want their pizza delivered...:p

...as @Dannerr said a few more pics to look at as we enjoy our pizza n' beer.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Runnin shine likes this.
  27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I really need to drive up to Aventi Pizza and show them what became of their Fiesta pizza delivery van. I'm sure I'll get a free Pizza.

slv63, Dannerr, Peanut 1959 and 2 others like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the trip permit Ed...thats a little over the top. I may be incorrect however and it is actually a dealer plate...​

29. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It's a dealer plate.

Valentines Speed Shop and Stogy like this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This is a great build. I just got here from a a link on another thread and read the whole thing. WOW!