Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trust miles-how do you handle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50desotocoupe, Oct 30, 2014.

1. I second that, all cars have their own tool box with some extra parts.

2. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

In February 2000, after putting new clutch and changing to 4 barrel carb on my flathead in my 50 Ford sedan, I went for a test drive and blew the transmission (3 speed o/d ). Got it back to the house and replaced 2nd gear. Went for another test drive and trans not free wheeling. Go back home, pull trans and completely go through it. Next day button everything up and do a quick 10 mile test drive, works great. Early the next morning, I drive 820 miles to Orlando, Florida.
    Same year I drove it to Omaha, Nebraska. Total trip was 3700 miles in 14 days. We hit 11 states. Differential seal started leaking. Stopped at friends house in Illinois. Borrowed his ramps, took new seal out of trunk, replaced it and was on my way. In Kentucky the after market fuel pump (6 volt) started acting up, filed points and again on my way. Two years before that I did a trip to Omaha without any problems.
    In 2005 I again went to Florida, on way home fuel pump (same one) acts up. Take it off to file points again but points in bad shape. Make it home and a week later I head for Columbus, Georgia at 9pm. At midnight on I-85 the battery goes dead, pull to side of highway and take new voltage regulator from under front seat, flash light in mouth change and polerize regulator. Battery was dead so had to push start by myself. While in Columbus, fuel pump gives , order another one, change it and drive the 700 or so miles back home. Two weeks after getting back from that trip I was shifting into 2nd gear and broke a rear axle.

rustynewyorker likes this.
  3. Scumdog

Scumdog

My take is: tighten all hose-clips and fuel fittings, check all wheel lug-nuts are snug, check all fluid levels are correct, tighten the battery clamps and go!

Fussing too much takes the fun out and hells-bells, it's only a 50 mile round trip!

4. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

My laptop went dead before I finished my post and I couldn't figure out how to edit it this morning. Anyway, I always carry spare parts. And most importantly, I don't power shift and smoke tires while on trips. Locally I have blown 12 trannys. So especially careful on trips.
    I have made many trips without any problems at all. If I didn't trust my car to go a trip, I wouldn't drive it around the block! Over 80,000 miles since purchasing in 1995 and ashamed to say I haven't had it out much in the past 5 years (400 miles maybe). Still 6 volt and bias ply tires. People drove them that way 60 years ago and drove long distances, so why shouldn't we do the same?
    BTA I live in Hampton Roads area of Virginia. One last thing, I don't run antique plates and all my classics are state inspected. Hope everyone has a good weekend and get out there and drive your cars. Ron