Register now to get rid of these ads!

True or False - Need some professional help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Design Guy, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Design Guy

Design Guy

I'm reading my Hot Rod Ford book (damn good book) and I keep focusing on one thing. The book says start with the chassis, which seems like an obvious choice when building, but people are different. The book also states that used A frames are fairly prevalent (more so than 32's) and a decent one can be purchased for about $100 to $200.

Given that the book was written a few years back, I think it's fair to say inflation might have an effect, but do you think these numbers are still reasonably feasible? If so, my fiancee is about to lose her parking spot.

Thanks!

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

not in california, at least not at swapmeets, the ratrodders like usin them, its gettin pretty hard to find one thats not hacked up or bent badly , if you find a good one it still wont be outragous like a stocker 32, but i like 32 frames under model As also some good reasonable priced aftermarkets are kiwi konnection(bakersfield), cornhusker(nebraska), and i think they call themselves classico street rods(ontario ca) i think i saw their booth at turlock, i heard its a coupe of guys who worked for tci, check out carl fajsted at duece frame co. (in stanton ca , real nice guy, hell sterr you in the right direction) sqweek at kiwi will too, another nice guy)

3. Tony

Tony

Well,
    There's no way to give an absolute number, but i know a few guy's that have sold 'A' frames, bare, for the 150-250 range.
    I can pick up one now for about that.
    Dat Dirty Rat sold one last year for 100 bux.
    I sold a '29 pick up, all tin and a frame for 1000 last spring....

But then again, thats just hear and now.

Rat...

4. sounds bout right i no this guy he has a few a frames he wants 200 each seems steep but atleast for the extra 100 u dont have to look anymore

5. Design Guy

Design Guy

Thanks for the input folks. At least I know what I'll be in for when I make that fateful purchase. I would be lying if I didn't say I felt like I'm in way over my head.

Now how does this grinding thingy work?

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

only way to lean to swim is jump in the deep end with both feet!!! i was pushed and it was the deep end but i dind drown, but if you dont know how to weld ...learn or take some classes at a J.C. even bolt together kit cars will require some fab. the rest just requires some thought and reaseach which you are obviously doing , look at lots of cars ,talk to the owners pick their brains look every where ideas come from race cars , jeeps, imports ,streetrods whatever,look at lots of pics, and buy some of don montgomerys books, study study study!!!!!!!

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

you can trust what you read in that book to be pretty good info.

if model a frames are hard to find in so-cal, thats about the only place.

if you are patient and cheap, keep your eyes open, they are everywhere, i can think of several trailers sitting around my town made from frames. and don't pass up PARTS of frames, they can be welded together again.

a few questions for you though, i read into the comment about the parking spot, is this a budget operation? you know what you're in for to build a "by the books" trad rod? you will be spending many, MANY hours looking for parts, the right parts, the frame will be the least of your worries. i guarantee that!

8. mikes51

mikes51

A bud of mine just bought a frame, about $700 "ready to go".
    That means all the modifications were done to be able to bolt on currently used suspension parts and drive train parts. I wonder if a stock "A" frame would work without lots of mods.

It's a trade off, you can buy low and do the modifications yourself. Or buy high and concentrate on other areas.

How are you set up with tools, welding and fabricating techniques? That is an important factor in how to approach your project.