Register now to get rid of these ads!

TROUBLES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redmeat, Apr 22, 2004.

1. <font color="red"> WHEN I try to luanch the HAMB it directs me to Ivilliges.a womens site..i had to get on here by hook and crook....anybody else know of this problem?

R E D M E A T </font>

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

sounds like you have some spyware on your machine... go download: adaware and run it...

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

4. traveling boot ho

traveling boot ho
    BANNED

red

since you switched to no-dial-up do you leave your computer on all the time?

i do so now i manually run spybot and an online virus scan everyother day
    everyone fucks with my pc
    i can leave my mac on for weeks and never have problems tho

kisses

5. plan9

plan9

winblows is slopware

6. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

For all you computer savy geeks out there - Install a new Host file to replace the existing one. This one lists tons of known spam &amp; spywares and lists them with an address of 127.0.0.1 . Check it out -http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    i can leave my mac on for weeks and never have problems tho

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can also leave it in your Isuzu pickup with the windows rolled down and the keys in the ignition. No one will steal either one. [​IMG]

8. traveling boot ho

traveling boot ho
    BANNED

i'd steal the mac

oh wait
    thats how i got the one i have

9. <font color="red"> I run AVG manually and both my spyware programs daily.....no help.....so I guess next is to dump everything.....anybody know how to erase everything so i can just pop in my windows disc and start over?

R E D M E A T
    </font>

10. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]
    anybody know how to erase everything so i can just pop in my windows disc and start over?

R E D M E A T
    </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as im aware, thats ALL you do. Pop in the cd and it completely reinstalls Winblows. Might wanna save your shit before ya do that though.....
    [​IMG]

11. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

what OS are you going to install?

if you have a printer might be best to do a search on formatting and OS installation then print out the stuff that applies to you so you got a source of info while your computer is down

12. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

and make sure you got your windows cd key! should be on your cd case or on the side/back of your computer someplace

if you got a pirated version get one of them cd keys while your still on the internet

13. traveling boot ho

traveling boot ho
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="red"> I run AVG manually and both my spyware programs daily.....no help.....so I guess next is to dump everything.....anybody know how to erase everything so i can just pop in my windows disc and start over?

R E D M E A T
    </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

red
    call me before you do this
    i pmd you my number

14. raaf

raaf

hmmmmm...

sounds like your "hosts" file may be screwed. some spyware programs will modify this file. the result is DNS is bypassed and your computer goes to the wrong places on the internet as directed by the local hosts file.

1. search your entire computer for the word "hosts". the file should be found in: c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

2. you should see a file called "hosts" - right click and open with NOTEPAD

3. if this file is healthy, it will read: "127.0.0.1 localhost" - if it says more than this, something is fishy. delete everything after the localhost line and save the file. then reboot. problem solved.

...but if you looked at the "hosts" file and it's fine, hmmm, i dunno. keep looking for more issues.

feel free to keep the thread going or PM me for more info.

-- raaf

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

16. daren

daren

You have a scum browser hijack. As said before download adaware and run it. Also check out www.spywareinfo.com lots of great tools and info on fighting the bad stuff on the internet.

17. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I heard recently that when running a DSL line (as am I) it is advisable to run a router, in order to protect your computer from being hijacked by hackers and having it used as a spam machine...is this true? Anyone else heard of this? The side benefit being that your computer while on the net can't be tracked...How do you hook one up if you only have a single DSL line going into your modem - going into your computer ???

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

19. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

you've probably already tried this but, spybot?

20. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]

red
    call me before you do this
    i pmd you my number

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, red pulled a phone number! [​IMG]

Is jenna back yet Howard? hehe

21. <font color="red">I am telling you all this SUCKS!!!!!!............i reinstalled windows and it is still there If something doesn't change soon I am going to blow this thing up

R E D M E A T </font>

22. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

did you format the hard drive first or just reinstall windows over top of the problem?

23. <font color="red">Just reinstall not reformatted ......YET......

R E D M E A T </font>

24. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

the first format might be a bit intimidating but once you do it and everything is working like new you'll be happy, just remember to write down all your passwords and stuff like that, if you got important emails just before you format I send them all to myself then close outlook and when you fire back up you get them mailed back,write down all your crap that you use to get on the internet like username, password, Ip's or whatever you use just make sure you save the stuff you want to keep cause a format you lose everything.

I always partition a small part of my hdd so I can save stuff there