Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trim removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigs merc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bigs merc

bigs merc

I could sure use some tips on how to remove the trim of of my 64' merc without damaging it. need to take it all off before i can send it to go get painted. thanks, input will be appreciated.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

there is a trim removal tool at napa or any parts house for a few bucks .it will save you heartache.

3. Weasel

Weasel

Eastwood has some plastic interior trim removal tools - I use them for external trim removal too.

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

If you have never done it before it might be a good idea to find a person that has. Call a local body shop and see if one of the guys there will come out and do it for a little cash or a 12 pack. Trust me, it will be well worth it.

5. Well, you just grab one end and start peeling. If it gets stuck, pry the prick loose with a big screwdriver..
    Thats how some people do it. I buy a car, all the trim is removed.."Do you have the trim?" I ask.
    "Yep, its all inside" ... Yes it is, but its all bent up and pretzelized.

On the FOMOCO products of that era, there is typically at least one clip with a nut on it on each end of the trim piece. The other clips are push in the hole style, and may pop out with the trim, or will come free of it with a gentle twist or prying with a plastic tool. I use plastic bondo spreaders, or the plastic putty knife looking tools.
    The door pieces have more nuts on them. you will have to remove all the interior panels to get to most of them.

6. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

On my 59 buick there were about 5-6 differant styles. I ended up getting a body service manual off of ebay. It told you how to remove each piece. Worth the $5.00. Some are spring loaded,some have nuts . TP