Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tricks to make a frame VIN show up "clearer"??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyD, Aug 29, 2011.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

I'm trying in vain to make out the vin on my '41 Ford coe. Its on the front crossmember, I can see it but can't read it if that makes any sense. I've wire brushed it, put layout dye over it and lightly sanded it, washed the hell out of it with purple stuff, gas, etc and still can make it readable. Acid maybe, hell I don't know. Anybody got any idea's??

2. rusty28a

rusty28a

Try a piece of paper and rub a crayon or pencil across it. If you can't make it out, just realize that sometimes they are either too far weathered to see or were not stamped hard at the factor. Best regards.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Take a pic of it blow in up on the computer or post it here. The paper and pencil trick normally works if its not to far gone.

4. Search for "Nital Surface Etchants". It is the professional name for the solution that forensic scientists use to raise serial number from weapons used to commit crimes after someone has attempted to remove serial numbers.

Good luck

5. BJR

BJR

Isn't the frame stamped in more then one place?

6. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Its my understanding the COE's only had it in the one place. Anybody????

7. You might try rubbing soapstone down into the numbers and then wiping the surface off. Worked for me.

8. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

A friend of mine who's into antique firearms said that the first thing he tries is having the number magnafluxed. The surface is polished and the powder will often reveal the missing number. It's less destructive than acid etching, as the acid can destroy what's left of the number, if it's improperly applied.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think you are wrong the acid restores the numbers by removal of excess metal around them, when the numbers are stamped the molecules are then embedded deeply in the metal. Take it from an old Chop Shop investigator this information is true. If you have a friend or someone at the local Police dept. and they have an auto squad they could do it for you.

10. Griffdaddy4

Griffdaddy4
    from Albany,Oh.

My 1952 Ford COE has VIN on backside of glove box door!

11. Try taking digital pictures of the area on close-up at different angles and with light source at different angles also, it might bring up features of individual numbers not seen otherwise.

12. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

agreed

13. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

If you can put a big magnet on the back side of the frame rail where the vin is stamped you may be able to pour some fine metal shavings on it and then vibrate the shavings into the stampings. Blow off the excess to reveal the number. Ive seen it done with some success.

14. brandon

brandon

After a couple tries with acid and voltage, a couple detective friends of mine came to the conclusion that rusty metal wont reveal numbers.......and that being said, they said they will probably show up better the next time they try................;):eek:

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

lightly sand the area where the number is and then use a tire crayon to color the area, then wipe off the crayon, the color in the low par of the groves will help you to see it better.

Or with the crayon still there doe the pecil etch deal with a piece of paper.

16. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

17. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Yeah, I got a '50 F1 (see avatar) and its in the glove box in it as well. Ford started that in '48, on trucks anyway.

Thats sounds a little to dangerous for my taste!! I'm in the recovery stage of a bone marrow transplant from cancer right now, I don't think doing this would help my recovery if it went wrong, shit happens!

18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I was trting to read the serial number on a Model A frame and was told by a Highway Patrolman to use Easy Off oven cleaner, it is an acid and will dissolve the rust in the stamping.

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've spent many years in the aviation industry which in nondestructive testing they use a dye penetrant to look for cracks and metal fatigue. Seems to me that would be something helpful in the identification of had to read serial numbers. Dye penetrant maybe able to be purchased from an aviation supply company. Just a thought.