Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tri power accelerator pumps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Feb 4, 2017.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

im running a totally rebuilt tri power on a y block. using 94s. Should I be using all 3 accelerator pumps? i had all 3 carbs redone. When i ran a tri power on my 327, it only used the center one. both setups have progressive

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. not a tri-power expert , but i would think that just one on the main center carb is all you need. it does have progressive linkage,right?

dickster 27 on here will know

sjm1340 likes this.
  3. oj

oj

I use the accelerator pumps on the 94, makes them nice and smooth. What I did find is that the primary carb needs more fuel at idle, it thinks it is supplying a much smaller flattie with less HP. I drilled the restrictor to about .031ish.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, if you want to hit it off the line out it will bog without them. Even with progressive linkage as you ease into it the outers will perform better with a little added fuel.
    From experience if you continuously drive only on the center carb the outers will over fill slightly from the shaking of the engine causing leakage past the needle and seats, every so often you need to open them up. Same for dual quads, I do it at least once a month. Not necessarily WOT but to get gasoline used out of the fuel bowels...good luck and show us a photo.

biggeorge likes this.

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

6. skipperman

skipperman

You need pumps on ALL THREE ........ the end carbs are ( OR SHOULD BE ) just "dump"carbs .... or carbs that DON'T OPEN until about 3/4 open throttle and have NO PROVISION for idle circuit adjustment ... CENTER carb ONLY has the idle adjustment as the center carb handles it all from idle until the progressive linkage starts to open the end carbs ...
    That's how ALL the FACTORY set ups were and they worked well until someone that SHOULDN'T played with them ....

biggeorge and rollinsixes like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The only one that I have seen without accelerator pump on the outboard carbs are the setups that use vacuum to open the them.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great, thanks for the photos. Black air cleaners make for a different look. Thanks