Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Gassers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CDN34Pickup, Aug 1, 2005.

1. back when I was in High School guys were using 55-59 chevy pick up front ends.....kinda wide unless ya really go high.I liked the econoline front end from the mid sixties....and we put them under every thing from tri-fives to early novas,and even a couple of falcons.You guys in the north west the man we had do them is still in Milwaukie Oregon his name was Guy Mitchell.....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Hey Curly, did you just use the original front frame rails and removed the front crossmembers? Kinda looks that way from your pics. What axle did you use?

3. I made my own crossmember across the front where the leaf spring perches mount. I then cut out the original crossmember and now I'm in the process of boxing in the frame rails. I ordered up a midplate and a front motorplate from AllPontiac.

For an axle I went with a stock Econoline. Springs are Ebay specials for a trailer. Hindsight being 20/20 if I was to get springs I would probably go with the slightly longer ones from Speedway.

4. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

If I may ask.

Did most tri five Gassers circa 1960's have the 10 percent maximum

"Engine Set Back"?

Is it or rather would it be accurate and believeable for a Gasser builder now NOT to have the 10 percent maximum Engine set back?

If there is a Gasser built with a 10 percent maximum Engine Set Back
    how would a 4 shifter be configured? Were mostly auto transmissions used in this configuration?

I know there is a firewall 55/57 specific now available. I simply want to make the most accurate STREET Gasser possible so I must have wipers, heater, lights, ect. Thank you kindly.

5. if your talkin drag cars yeah alot did set them back.HOWEVER most the street "gasser" axle cars that ran the street it was all about the look,and serious horsepower under the hood, personaly I like that idea the look and makeing it streetable

6. Saw this post so I dropped in. Posted these today on the Art Show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and chriseakin like this.
  7. dutched32

dutched32

love those wagons guys!!

8. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Nice drawings, they remind me of the Trosley Cartoons work.

Jigger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Thanks petritl.
    I posted this before going through the whole thread and noticed a
    comment on how these cars don't make good gassers. I'll leave that up to the experts.
    I assume they mean performance wise?

10. Tri 5's have a great engine location as is. The front spark plug on small block is a good two inches behind the spindle centerline as is.
    You won't get that from any Nova , Camaro or Chevelle. My pop ran his '56 B/G with stock engine location and factory front suspension until '63-'64. He raised the stock upper A-arm mount up and used ball joint spacers for more front travel and made his own "Super Stock" leaf springs out back. This worked very well. Just remove the front pumper, raise the front a little and get the right wheels/tires and you got a great start. The photo here is March Meet '63 Panneton082803.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 55belairx2 like this.
  11. PS. If you want a manuel trans without the linkage hassle, use a hydraulic throw out bearing. You can get them from McCleod, Hays,
    Ram, Wilwood etc.

12. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I am finishing mine up and will try to make the billetproof NW show.

jp

13. So many awesome gassers, each one a little different,all of them bad. Mine uses a 49 ford F1 axle and springs,standard 55 steering box,2x4 chassis rails,works fine with my big block.

Attached Files:

14. jez-h-r

jez-h-r

Here's 2 of the best from Britain. "Honky Tonkin" (the dark red one) runs regular low 9s and gets a foot or more of air under the front tyres on every run. "Roarin' Rat" (the bright red one) was built in the late 70s, way before any gasser wars revival. Both cars now run in the Gasser Circus at various events in the UK and always put on a top show.

Attached Files:

15. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

16. One new pic and one rescanned 56 @Pond-2.jpg

56 smokers-1.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 55belairx2 like this.
  17. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

With all the gasser luv round here, I'm surprised this one nosed over.

18. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

Ill keep it going. After I got my 55 I started searching for other chevy gassers to get some style ideas. Didnt know it but apparently gasser doesnt mean nose high.

Then I found this mother, Ive started mapping out a spring behind front drop axle with radius rods and a 4 link for the rear because of this one picture.

[​IMG]

19. cause there are a couple others about the same thing..........

20. choke

choke

The new front end is taking a pounding!!!! Should be in the mid to low 9's once the carbs are figure out!!!!

Attached Files:

21. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

22. edweird

edweird

this is my friend tommies 55. as the story goes , it was a drag car in the 70's that was called the KANSAS CITY MADMAN. the car came from st. matthews, s.c. any body know anything about it?

Attached Files:

23. edweird

edweird

it just sits to damn high!!

24. edweird

edweird

somebody please tell me where i can get a clear hood scoop like this.

25. choke

choke

Car belongs to Bill Cileo. He's also the driver. I did the front and rear suspension fabrication for him. He's also a HAMBER, but he nevers post pictures, soI did it for him.

Attached Files:

26. Butch M

Butch M

Hears mine still in the work's

Attached Files:

27. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Nice 56 Butch, love the green. Think I saw paint pics on another thread. Really great detail.

28. lorodz

lorodz

heres mine almost done .
    [​IMG]

29. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

here's mine! and two of my buddies!:rolleyes:

Attached Files: