Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tree rings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murfman, Oct 4, 2012.

1. murfman

murfman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guess the old girl has been a few different colors over the years! It looks like the rings of a tree when felled.

2. I think I would choose a color, sand till I hit it then buff and call it done. :D

3. 56FRLN

56FRLN

Or one of my kid's art projects.

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Errr yup, perhaps you might want to keep sanding there - for a while - that'd be for quite a while actually.
    Nice effect BTW.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Jaw breaker rings...

6. It's only been painted once,,would you believe twice,,uh,three times,,ah heck it's just got a lot of history!:D HRP

7. smarg

smarg

Can you say media blast..?

8. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my '34 truck was about 14 different colors through they years, might have been more, I can't remember.. I have pics somewhere of when I took it down.. Several different greens, blues, reds, it was apparently pink at one point (?!).. very colorful.

9. Zerk

Zerk

10. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

you read my mind!

hell, you could even do it two tone that way!

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love shit like that... It is the kind of thing that reminds you that someone actually built this car brand new low so many years ago, then some other guy cared enough about it to have it painted...then another guy...and another guy...and another guy..and maybe even another guy..now you.

Good hot rod Karma for you.

-Abone.

12. I like your thinking Jeff. HRP

13. a friend in our area has a '31 chevy coupe that every few years he repaints it a different color. car must have 4 or 5 paint jobs since the early '70s when he built it. gold, then light blue, then dark blue, then medium blue then....

14. murfman

murfman

Well it appears that the car was originally a 2 tone light / medium blue,but the light blue is on the entire car, unless someone sprayed the medium blue in a 2 tone fashion early on. Then I guess it was the pinkish red color followed by yellow. The funny thing is I am piecing together 2 cars and the second car was originally black and painted a pinkish red color that is almost the same as car # 2. She's been around the block a few times, multiple, spots of lead work on the right rear quarter, the left quarter has been replaced, the roof, hood, upper tailgate, fenders and hood are off car #1 (along with the engine) (a 53 from Michigan) and the doors and the rest of the body are from car # 2 (along with the frame)(a 54 from Pahrump Nevada) The lower tailgate is from a 53 out of North Dakota, the trans is from a 2004 Mustang and the rear axle is from a 2000 Explorer. The tail lights are from a VW in SoCal. I don't know if it Johnny Cash's Caddy or Dolly Parton's coat!

Oh yeah, it is (Was) a Plymouth Suburban

Car 1:
    [​IMG]
    Car 2: (after the roof of Car # 1 was welded on)
    [​IMG]

Build thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293022

15. OK a little off topic but what is going on with that flat fender? I have never seen one with wood holding the roof up before.

16. murfman

murfman

It was a factory Chassis-cowl with a home made body, I bought it out Wisconsin a farmer used to park it out by the road to sell vegetables. The body was crudely made out of 2 x 4s and old plywood and barn boards (A farmer, go figure) I copied some of the generic dimensions and redid the body in red oak. I fiberglassed the side trays up so the would be water tite and filled them with ice and liquid refreshments

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]