Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission & shifter Levers - Bushings or No Bushings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Feb 5, 2018.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since it’s difficult for me to just leave well enough alone, I thought I’d ask in advance of modifying, for a change.

I have a Hurst 4-speed shifter on an A833 NVG transmission (3 speed w/O.D.) from an ’84 Chevy truck, which is going into my ’36 3W Ford coupe. The transmission levers & shifter levers never had bushing, just had the hardened shift rods inserted in the levers. I’m thinking of drilling the levers out to fit bushings in, to smooth shifting, eliminate wear & stop any rod chatter. I tried drilling an old lever I had, with a carbide rotary file and it drilled a hole to .504” hole, which is a nice fit for the bushings.

OK, now I know I CAN do it, the question I have, is it worth the time & trouble to disassemble & drill out the levers. Will I see any added improvement? If I go ahead & do it, what’s better to use – the steel or the nylon bushings?

Thanks for any experience & recommendations with this you’ve had.

-Bob

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could go hi tech and use heim joints.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would use the steel bushings.
    Never had any long time luck with the nylon ones.

4. If the rod holes are good and rods round I'd use as designed.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nothing wrong with bushings as long as you can get good alignment.
    So, how many dull HSS drill bits do you have?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a lathe - 13"x60" SouthBend, but I already have the bushings which are 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID. The rods themselves are 1/2", turned to 3/8" at the ends, to go through the levers. If I made bushings to go through the stock levers, they'd have to be 3/8" OD and 5/16" or 1/4" ID and I'd have to turn down the ends of the stock rods or make new ones. Easier to drill out the levers.

No high speed drills - I used a round, carbide mill to increase the hole of the trial piece.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To clarify. Your only speaking of the lever's at the transmission and not the Hurst shifter?

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I'd do the levers on BOTH the transmission & the Hurst shifter.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

OK your the boss.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I ran the toolroom I brought home various rotary burrs that were deemed less than perfect for production, the radius nose 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 inchers work great for opening up holes in semi-hard material, sometimes better than new ones as they don't go oversize, such as for bushing installs like this.