Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLSTEELWILLYS, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

I have pulled the Engine and Tranny out of my 1940 Willys that My Dad built back in the 60's. It has a Oldsmobile 371 Egine and some kind of Auto Tranny. My dad seems to think that it is a B&M Trans.

Is there any way I can tell if it is a B&M or just regular Olds?

I removed the trans from the engine and there is plate that goes around the Convertor and is held to the flexplate with 30 Bolts! What is This??

Thank You,

2. squirrel

squirrel

Does it have a B&M sticker on the trans?

where's the pictures?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is the fluid coupling, not actually a torque converter, as I recall. On stock 4 speed Hydramatics the fluid coupling did not have a stator and therefore no torque multiplication function. First gear was low enough to do the heavy lifting. Really rugged old trannies........used in many applications including 2 1/2 ton Army trucks and I think even some light Tanks.......probably beefed a bit more for those than in your Father's Oldsmobile (stock..not the B&M).

Ray

4. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Ok, thanks. I will look on Thursday. to see if it has a Sticker on it. It has been sitting since the 60's.
    Besides a master rebuild kit is their anything I will need?

My dad Hardly drove the car. So I am Sure that there is NO broken internal parts.
    Judging by the condition of the Engine.

Do you replace the "fluid coupling" like you would a torque convertor?

Thank You

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Only if it has "issues", which is unlikely from your description of the circumstances. If the starter ring teeth are good, can't imagine much wrong with it if it's hardly been run.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  6. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Ok, thank you. I looked at the Transmission today and It has a metal tag on the Lower Left hand side= it is a Little red metal tag that is riveted to the case. it Reads General Motors and has = R54 333795.

Thanks Again,
    Jonathan