Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission for '39 flathead-"Low N Mean"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpDDmN, Aug 20, 2008.

1. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

I've been pondering with the thought:
    What trans should I run in "Low N Mean"?(my 39 ford pick-up)
    I've got a 4-speed from back in the early '40's(but it's a truck trans,no sinc).
    Or should I run with a 3-speed & get another rearend ratio?
    or another 4-speed with the higher ratio & a higher rearend ratio?

What do you guys use on your period-correct flatheads???
    Thanx Jannie

Attached Files:

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

In this case, run a 39 Ford 3-speed transmission. If you are thinking about something later, use a T5.

3. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

& if I wanna run manual trans?what should I run with if I would wanna go for,say,..a 5-speed???(I'm running a 5-speed manual Toyota trans in my '34 now...goes like a train)...I'm also running a similiar 5-speed in my '65 Dodge pick-up....
    But....if I should go with such a trans,what would that mean in the whole period correct theme I'm going with on my pick-up???Is there maybe any other more period correct transmissions?or can I run with the Toyota 5-speed???
    What do you fellow Hambers think???......Thanx.....J :)

4. You are right, a Toyota 5 speed would not be period correct.

On second thoughts, which period are you wanting to be correct to? The avatar pick looks like current day OSR period.

5. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Yeah.I'm looking to be in the early '50's era correct,so I don't think the Toyota trans will go,rather some other trans from back then,4-speed......now what 4-speeds where avalible back then???I've got a 4-speed Ford truck trans.......

6. A toyota would be a better box. Don't get too anal about it, my point is your car/pickup isn't a period style in the first place so don't sweat the gearbox choice.