Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission advice needed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigRed390, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BigRed390

BigRed390

I've got a '62 galaxie 500 with a 390 and the cruise-o-matic transmission. Said transmission most likely won't last through the summer. I've got a line on an FMX that was rebuilt about a year ago and hasn't left the garage floor for $125 or so. Question is, will this bolt up to what i've got without needing a new driveshaft, etc? I'm assuming the bellhousing will fit, but I don't know for sure. Any other problems I should be aware of?

Also, if anybody's got a better idea for what to put in there, let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

2. A couple of things to consider...

Assuming it really is a Cruise-O-Matic, the FMX will bolt up. You *** may *** have to drill the two top holes. Pretty easy. I don't think so but it is a possibility. Also, make sure the converter pump drives are the same. Should be, but things get swapped. Check the converter pilot diameters as well,... as the FMX has both large & small versions of the converter pilot. Cruise-O-Matics...so far as I know...used only the 1.848" pilot.

The tail housing may be & most probably is different. You can swap tailhousings & shafts to get what you need....you'll have to consider whether it is worth the trouble.

Since you have no way of knowing whether the FMX really was rebuilt only "a year ago"...you should assume most all the assembly fluid/lube has drained off the clutches, drums, etc and will not help your cause. Also, the soft parts may have dried out. Not easy to tell without disassembly.

The shift pattern may or may not correspond to the column indicator, in terms of where Drive is located. It will probably be on the "dot" rather than the D.

The Cruise-O can be rebuilt relatively cheaply & are decent enough transmissions, if heavy (although, so is the FMX). Your other realistic alternative is the C6 which opens up another can of worms in terms of swapping it in. Myself, I've found that unless you are prepared to do a lot of work with Fords pre'65, you are generally better off sticking with what came in the car, IF you are keeping the original engine.

Confused yet??? :eek: :D

BTW, a good source for an improved Cruise-O, either parts or complete trans: http://www.broaderperformance.com/Index.htm

3. Ive got my '62 Cruise-O at Broader right now. Good People!