Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trans cooler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jan 8, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The original automatic trans in my sunliner was air cooled so when the 351/C-4 went in I put a cooler in front of the radiator,I was thinking about adding a cooler to the original radiator but was told the bottom tank looked to be not strong enough. I had trans issues on the trip to Florida and the fluid just started to smell burnt but still bright red so I was wondering if the 9X6 cooler I have might be too small.

2. I cool the 350 turbo in my 32 Ford with a 70's style Ford power steering cooler. It's a lot smaller than yours

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lostone likes this.
  3. might b a good idea to add a temperature gage so you know exactly what is needed. the coolers in the radiator work both ways, to cool and to warm the tranny up to operating temp'.

flatford39 likes this.
  4. You could try a later model radiator with an auto tranny cooler built in. I don't know what other years will fit but give it some time and someone around here will chime in as to what will be close if not an exact fit.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Might look into that if I have issues with the existing radiator in the future,going to look at coolers tonight and might go a little larger just to be safe.