Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tranny slow to go into gear....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mack57, May 14, 2015.

1. mack57

mack57

Hi All,
    I have a th350 that at times does not go into gear. If you give it a little gas it slips into gear...? Any thoughts as to where to start with diagnosing?

Thanks,
    Mack

2. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

check fluid level or could be dirty filter

3. aaggie

aaggie

Flush it and change the filter.

4. 62nova

62nova

Burnt low reverse clutches.

5. squirrel

squirrel

...and burnt forward clutches, and it probably has a worn out stator support, and some worn out drums, and the pump is worn out. In other words, it's a "good used" transmission that needs a complete rebuild.

6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm going to leave this on alone. I was thinking of something COMPLETELY different......

7. Any time I have had a T350 that was slow to go into gear it was not long until it would not go into gear at all.

Maybe it is just low on fluid but that is about as likely as me being president, yes possible but no probable.

8. mack57

mack57

Thanks All!! Will let you know how it goes!
    Mack

9. My daily has been doing the same thing for about a year (178,000 miles) and was worse in the winter. I just shift between D and R a few times and let it warm up on cold days. This time of year, no problem and it otherwise works fine. Still I know it won't be long until...........

10. I had a 64 rambler station wagon I bought years ago. Got it running drove it for about a week and coming up my mountain drive way one day, it just shot transmission fluid out the dip stick and emptied most of the fluid. I towed it up to the shop, and dropped the trans pan and replaced the gasket and filter and filled it back up. Never had a problem after that. I am pretty sure it was a clogged filter.Bruce.

11. mack57

mack57

Thanks Bruce! That's the first thing I'm going to do is clean it out. It did sit quite awhile at some point. I have only had it on the road a handful if times now.

12. Mack57, keep us posted and let us know how you make out.Thanks Bruce.

13. mack57

mack57

Hey Guys,
    Ok, I dropped the pan and the filter was clean as could be. So, I asked at the parts counter and they said to try the vacuum modulator.

14. mack57

mack57

Now..... I've broken the tab for the retaining ring that holds the modulator in place.... It's always something huh?

15. D-man313

D-man313

Shifter adjustment? Mine just did something similar, wouldn't go into reverse, move shifter a little more and it engaged. Would slam into drive, adjusted it a little bit and works smoothly now.

16. You broke the case?
    Forward clutch seals or excessive clutch wear ..Low /rev doesn't apply in D , 1st

17. mack57

mack57

Ok, vacc modulator has seemed to make the issue better.... Looks like a rebuild is in the near future though....
    Thanks All!!

18. I am glad it helpd you out for a little while longer.May be you can get the summer out of her.Bruce.