Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny options, 5.0 in a 54 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by conormulroney, Aug 5, 2006.

1. conormulroney

conormulroney

The stock 6 cyl in my '54 is tired. I have the option of purchasing an '89 SBF and was wondering what the best (read cheapest) tranny option may be. I don't think the original 3 spd could work because there is no provision for a mount on the tailshaft.
    At this point I am open to all options because I know that I will to have to fab in mounts for the engine and tranny, and it will be a minor miracle if there is no need to build a new drive shaft.
    So, what should I look for? 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed, or auto?
    thanks,
    Conor

2. chopndrop

chopndrop

c4 would probably be the cheapest/easiest , AOD would take more work to hook up the linkage and probably a more expensive tranny to rebuild but it depends if you want overdrive

3. ive got a 56 and i have a 89 motor out of a mustang. i just picked up a c4 out of a junked car and everything looks like its gunna work great

4. Tacson

Tacson

5. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

i got a c4 behind my 84 302. a c6 would work out too, since you are gonna have to fab a trans mount and driveshaft to go that route. i had a aftermkt trans mount in mine when i got it, otherwise i woulda just fabricated one, there is nothin to them.

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

I don't think C6 will work. I did AOD in a '66 PU and had to cut and raise hump about 3". C6 about same size. Go with C4.

7. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

Yes the best auto option would be the c-4.........c-6 would be good but like phil1934 said check the floor pan clerance..........Now for manuals 4 speed in good shape is going to be hard to find........(around my place anyways) so look for toploader 3 speed(RAN tag trans has 2.99 first gear)....easier to find and cheap........under 50 bucks usualy.........also if you want over drive a 5 speed would be good..........getting very easy to find and not very big, most have shifter made onto it so measure to see if line up properly.........so best two options would be c-4 or 5 speed...

8. conormulroney

conormulroney

Thanks for the replies. If I go that route, it sounds like the C4 option is best. However the sacreligious 350/350 combo at a can't pass up price may be in my future, too.
    Conor

9. du$ty

du$ty

im going with a t-5 in my 1955..behind a 351 windsor.t-5s are not the cheapest route but you can get a t-5 from 300-500 bucks.
    being able to shift and overdrive...priceless...make sure its world class.

10. "350/350 ...in my future" SACRILEGE !! Sell me the 54 and go buy a chebby. I'll put a T5 in her.