Register now to get rid of these ads!

TRANNY Gurus-Need Turbo 400 HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NOAH324, Nov 20, 2003.

1. NOAH324

NOAH324

Firing up a th400 Olds 455 combo for the first time in a year.
    It'll go into gear, but when I shut off the motor she belches tranny fluid up through the dipstick!!
    I've only fired it up a couple times and I think the tranny fluid level is actually low but I'm scared to put more in until it's done barfing!
    Is it just getting rid of trapped air or is there some kind of pressure valve or something that I'm missing???
    Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!
    =NOAH=

2. shifts

shifts

Is this a rebuilt trans & the first time running it? Known good trans? Fluid foamy looking? First thing I'd check is the vent. Its the little plastic or sometimes metal pipe located right above the top cooler line. Sometimes they get pluged by mud daubers,etc. You can usually clean it by running a piece of wire through it. That would be the first & easiest thing to check.Dave

3. shifts

shifts

Good idea to change the filter too. TH400s have a tendency to plug filters w/ age. Dave

4. Noah, dude ! Shifts is right about vent being plugged, but another possibility is the torque converter is bleeding down. Make sure torque converter is fully charged by running it for a few minutes before shutting it off. If it's been sitting a long time that may be all you need. If converter is bleeding down, it would need to be replaced.
    your pal, Ric

5. shifts

shifts

Ric, the reason I didnt mention drainback was that he said it was actually low on fluid as I understood . Best way to check for drainback is to check fluid before starting engine & rechecking after running for a few mins. If fluid level was high & goes down to normal after running, you have drainback. There is a special anti drainback valve you can use to correct this in most cases.Hope this helps. Dave