Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer storage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kilroy, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I have a 20' enclosed trailer that I pretty much just use for storage and a mini-workshop, so it doesn't get out and move much. In fact it's been sitting in the same place for a while now and I've been meaning to do something to protect the tires etc.

What do you trailer folks do when you put your trailers away for a while to make sure they're ready for you when you need them?

If you knew you weren't going to need it for a while would you jack it up and take the wheels off? Are there special jacks?

Thoughts?

Something else... Is there a product out there that lets you plug the trailer into A/C so I could use the lights inside? I searched but all I came up with was for big RVs etc and I won't have anywhere near that kind of load.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The relatively light weight stabilizer screw jacks for RV use work well to keep your stored trailer. Sit them on a concrete pad for best stability.

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

Are the lights 12v ? If they are get a solar trickle charger and do what pasadena said.

4. You can make plywood covers for teh tires or buy some vinyl ones at teh RV store. UV rays like to eat tires.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This^

On my 24' I simply raise the front jack as high as I can and lower the two rear stabilizers as far as they will go. Takes most all the weight off the tires.

6. cwayne

cwayne

Not sure how true this is but it was passed on to me this week from a friend who stores his '40 RV.. He was told to put plywood under your tires if you park on concrete for a long time as the concrete will speed up the drying out of your tires and weather cracks show up..

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cover your tires and the sun won't kill and dry rot them!!!

8. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Thanks for the advice guys...

Today I laid down some gravel and bought a couple pressure treated 2x10s, wrapped them in plastic and got parked the trailer on them... I put 55psi in the tires too...

I'll clean the tires and make the covers too.

I don't have the leveling jacks yet but I'll do that next.

Great suggestion on the solar charger too... I'll probably pick up a s smallish deep cycle bat and the charger for the lights...

Thanks again

9. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The best thing to do is to take the tires off, and store them somewhere there is no UV light, also store them as far away as you can from anything electrical because of the ozone produced by electrical powered devices, then set the trailer frame on some good steel (like short pieces if I beam, etc), or concrete blocks. If you can't do that jack the trailer up untill the tires, and springs have no load on them (this saves the springs, and keeps the tires from getting flat spotted) then cover the tires.