Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tragedy avoided at car cruise today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chrysler, Jul 8, 2012.

1. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

This weekend was the Roseburg Oregon Graffity weekend. Today was a cruise from Roseburg to Canyonville. It was like a poker run but a little differant. You had to follow directions and look for awnsers to questions along the way. My friend Bob known as 1952 Plymouth here on the hamb and I took my Merc on the run. We took a wrong turn and got lost. When we made our way back and turned on the road we were supposed to be on we saw a early 50's Ford sedan delivery off to the shoulder with a daily driver car. We slowed and asked if they were ok and the lady said no so we pulled over and started walking back expecting a mechanical break down. As we approached there was a elderly gentalman leaning up against his car and the lady had a towel wrapped around his wrist and talking to a 911 dispatcher on her cell phone. We looked at what it was and the guy took a fall on his property next to the road and ripped about 3 inch wide section of skin from the bottom of his wrist and a couple of arteries had been torn. The guy was bleeding out right there. The lady was doing her best to put pressure on the wound and talk but it was still bleeding bad.
    Without any questions or safety gloves my friend Bob just grabbed the guys wrist and applied pressure while I went back to my car to grab a lawn chair to set the man in. It took about 15-20 minutes for the medics to get there as we were not close to a town.
    To me my friend Bob and this lady are Hero's today for what they did and I'm very proud of both of them. It was a pretty desolate road and if it wasn't for the cruise going on today putting the traffic on that road I think that mans odds of surviving would have been slim.
    My friend went his way to his home after the cruise and I had a 4hr drive home with alot of time to think about what had happened.
    God puts things in our lives like wrong turns to put us where we need to be to help someone else in need.
    One of the neatest parts was while we were waiting for the medics I looked at his field next to the road and saw a 1950 Chevy truck sitting in the grass. A little while later he started telling us he had a 1950 Chevy pickup that he wants to fix up some day. He was a neet guy and even when he was sitting there with a life threatning injury he was just talking away to us like we were all old friends.

2. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

your right God definatly sent you there that was a nice story

3. wademp

wademp

That's an awesome story! Right place at the right time!

4. big creep

big creep

thats a very cool thing you guys did, good karma coming your way soon!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wonderful story, you guys probably saved someone's life today. :) Someone sent you there at that time and that place.

Don

6. that is awesome.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not often we have the opportunity to help save a life. Good thing the right people were there when the opportunity came around!
    Tell your friend thanks! Renews my faith in mankind!

8. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Just proves that we are taken care of, it has happened to me

9. You just saved the life of somebody's husband, Dad, or Grandpa, or all of the above.
    Thank You.

10. wallyringo

wallyringo

good job guys pulling over and checking things out.

11. I just love talking with people like you knew them forever, especially about rides

12. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

Great story. Everything happens for a reason. You helped save someones life, you ARE heros.

13. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

Great Story, Great People, and Great God!

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

15. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

16. All concerned are the kind of people I am glad to share this planet with . Well done saving a human life is a very honourable deed .

17. We all hope we do the right thing when destiny calls.
    You guys did good and the lady was lucky to have you available at just the right moment in time.
    Thanks

18. Beau

Beau

That fella was lucky you guys showed up and were well educated and had a cell phone!

Evolution is amazing!

19. 1low52

1low52

It's so easy to not be bothered and keep going.
    Thanks so much for caring!

20. Jen......

Jen......

wish there was more like you out there ,

Jen

21. 41plym

41plym

Good job Mark
    41plym

22. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

The good thing was that while we were waiting for the medics a few other hot rodders stopped to see if we were ok. When we said that we had medics coming they went on there way. Sad thing was that when we did see a daily driver rig they just passed by never stopping to see what was going on.

23. Thanks for caring enough to stop. I recently stopped too, when I spotted an elderly man that was trapped, under the rear of his still operating tractor. Hundreds of people had sped right past him, as he was only about 4 feet off the edge of the pavement, in a very travelled road in broad daylight. Only one other person stopped to help. I think our interest in "tradition", includes "traditional values, in humanity". Hope all turns out well for him.

24. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

Thanks but the credit goes to Bob and the lady in the sedan delivery. They are the ones who got the bleeding stopped as much as possible. I just got the man a chair to sit in and helped him with his cell phone to let a friend know what happened to him. Those two are the Hero's that is why I put the post up. I want them recognized for saving his life.

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

You and bob need to go back and check on the guy in a week or two. It'd be icing on the cake to make a new friend that could hang with you and bob in the merc and go cruise!!

27. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Feel good story of the day.....thanks fella's I needed that:)

28. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thank you, and your friend for being a good samaritan.

Godspeed
    MrC.

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A great do-good story rooted in hot-rodding.....sounds like a chapter for the Jalopy Journal edition #3!

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

God bless the lady, your friend and you!