Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. My Bad:eek::eek:.... They are only 205/70/15's don't know how I made that mistake. I've just been looking and found some 235/75 x 15 which are given as 29 inch high and reasonable price so I think I'll have to sweet talk the lady into changing my chrissy present:eek::D

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

needlouvers, we need to talk. That brown car is exactly what is in my mind. I am about to start another project............bucket T.........go figure. I picked this car up from Frank Morawski ( super Bell Coupe, carrillo roadster.etc )about a year ago. It has been on the back burner while i finished my Corvair ( http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/sh...known-as-the-quot-Spousal-Avoidance-Unit-quot ) which is in it's last stages.

I went though this entire thread tonight looking to see if I could find something I think this could become.............Of course Skip's T is first choice but my proportions are different than his. My suspension is already done so I will be using it. It has a mid 60's jag rear. The body was built at Anderson Industries by Frank. It is a 1917 cowl...short pickup bed. The car came with weed burner headers that look like this

[​IMG]

needslouvers car also has the look. Everything in the pics that are wrapped in foam are all polished stainless steel..........

here is what I got

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna try to do a traditional looking roadster............I guess I won't be using those 22 inchers behind the car

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man! Thank you for the compliments! That's the reaction I've been hoping for! You can't pick a better car to shoot for as far as proportions as the Bill Roland redo of the Ivo car. You are damn close though with what you have as a start. Dig the weed burners big time! The chassis I just delivered last week was my first Jag suspension, and thus far my customer is quite happy with it. Matter of fact, he's bringing his next build in to me this week and it too will have a jag rear, although this time it'll be a stock bodied, full fendered "T" touring. Check into my thread "the Bucket of ugly, a de-uglyfying thread" to see where I started and where I'm going with mine. There has been about as much discussion back and forth there about what "makes" a traditional T-Bucket there as there has been on this thread, so I think it's a pretty good resource for 'Buckets too. Cool mini bike as well!

4. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I agree completely! This is probably the best breakdown of the "History" of the T-Bucket I have ever read!!!!!!!

5. That's one thing I wouldn't recommend!

Light car is hard to navigate snow deeper than one inch.

Toughest part was driving with the radiator shell only 2 inches above the pavement!

I had bent it up a bit!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A.D.D., thank you for your kind words about my ramblings! I have to tell you that I have all the pictures you posted of your car and the old construction shots saved to my "T-Bucket Stuff" file. I dig your car and wish that mine was as short. I just know that if I take the time to take a few inches out of mine it'll water fall into an orgy of, "well as long as it's this far apart, I might as well..."!

7. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

No problem. ;)

I appreciate someone willing to do the research and present a solid "History" about something.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember when I was a young guy, one of the locals put a similar set-up on his camaro and instantly and forever more earned the handle "shit for brains"(with a knod to Aloha Bobby & Rose). If 29bowtie is lurking this thread, he might even know who I'm talking about here, he just sold his car to a good friend of "SFB". Not everyone was diggin' ugly-ass crap in the seventies...

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do you, by any chance, remember the name it was sold under or the manufacturer?

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wanna say the company was Imagine Engineering. I remember the ads for those things in the back pages of Street Rodder in the early eighties. I think the same company made valve covers to make a small block look vaguely like a Hemi or big block or something too. And, just to clear the record, that fake cover is the very first thing I too would pull off that car... Then I'd give it to TfeverFred for his bizarre wall hanger collection... I can deal with lots of stuff, just not fake stuff. If you want a real shame, google the fake Hilborn set up none other than Don Gartlits used to offer!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny you mention that. Jimmy B just sent me a PM with a link to the one pictured or at least it's pretty close. The guy wants almost $400 for that thing.:eek: I'd love to start a collection with it, but not at that price. Who figured fake could be so expensive?:confused:

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

The person who thought of implants knew "Fake" would be expensive and every guy who drives a Porsche would want a woman like that. I couldn't help it....had to say it.

What are the tires from the 60s that would look good on a T? I'm going for the 60s look like mid 50s to late 60s.

I kind of like those day two cars (Muscle car world) were guys take them and put mags on cars. I kind of have that idea for my Hot Rod build a car bought and then changed in the early part of the 60s.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You really can't go wrong with a pie crust cheater type slick on the back, and either a 5.20 or 5.60 bias ply or older rounded style 145-155 radial on the front. I wish someone would reproduce the Pirelli Centurion radials that were popular in the early sixties. By the way, these should all be on 15" wheels for an early sixties car.

Late sixties stuff got to be a bit different. By '67 or so, the pie crust side walls disappeared from slicks, and those tire started showing up on 'Buckets. And, George would probably skin me alive if I didn't mention "Blue Streaks" that came along about the same time. Cragar S/S wheels were very popular, and about the same time saw the rise of the slot mag. things were still mostly 7"-8" wide until the latest part of the sixties when Indy low profile tires made the scene, and in my opinion, probably shouldn't. After Bill Booth put a set of motorcycle wires on the front of his "Torsion T" in '66 or so, many others followed suite. Still pretty common at that time to see cars with 15" 12 spokes spindle mounts too, as these were now being replaced on drag strips with the lighter, narrower 18" version of that same wheel.

A mid fifties car would probably have still been on 16" ford steel wheels and a 7.50 on the back, and a 4.50-5.00 bias on the front. 5.50 would be just a little too big in my mind, but probably pretty accurate too.

This decision would be pretty critical on the car as well, 'cause it really does set the time frame for what you are building. By the late fifties, everybody was going to 15". In '58-'59 mag wheels really became an available thing in 15" for drag cars, and fairly quickly showed up on T-Buckets apparently before other street driven hot rods.

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I wish I had your brain and memory! Wow the info.

I was thinking like a crager type wheel or the torque thrust style. I think grey or black center ones. There is a bucket with those wheels on it and its a black and white picture I love.

I guess I just need to nail down my time frame and build it that way. I'm also still thinking Tall T.

I like the solid wheel look too. I really don't want to spend crazy amount of money on tires but I want a good look.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The guy with the camaros was home-made.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wonder whatever happened with that deal someone was trying to put together with Kelsey Tire to re-pop Blue-Streak slicks?

17. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Hey guys, so I have started the project T, can anyone school me alittle more on the revered wishbone setup.... I have a few questions. First off the spring eye in all the pictures is straight with the hanger, is this done simplily with heating and bending it? 2nd question, factory the wishbones seem to have a degree of tilt back built into them, I'm guessing 5-7 degrees, standard layback for a axle. So by reversing them that would lean the axle foward..... I understand the basics on this setup just want to be sure on how it was exactly done. Any help would be great and thanks in advance, here are a few pics of mock up stuff i have been playing with.....

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

First pic is a 42-48 axle, you can see the it points outward.

second pic is a 37-41 axle, it points inward...

here is a pic of it hanging on the front pearch
    IMG_0702.jpg

18. Here's what I would do. First I would use the '37-'40 axle (the '42'-'48 is kinda too wide). I would set the wishbone yokes square to the axle (looks the best) and then heat and twist (in the little vertical section just above the eye) the spring eyes so they were square to the axle in both planes. At this point you should be really close to being set up for a stock width '32-'34 style spring. If it is off a little bit you could heat and bend the main arms slightly to get it right on. You also need to narrow the spring eyes to 1-3/4" for the earlier spring. Once that is figured out, check if the perch plate on your frame is at about 6 or 7 degrees, if not you can bend a little angle into the spring eyes if needed for correct caster. Then set your hairpin brackets at about 36" apart.

Just saying, the reversed wishbone yokes look better with a V-8 60 tube axle instead of the I-beam.

19. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Thank you, I figured that heating and bending of the yokes was required to get it right, I just wanted a few other opinions before I started bending shit around. Using a 32-34 spring I did not know about and Iam glad you said something about it. As for a v8-60 axle.... I would love to put one in the car, however finding one that is good enough for chrome and not an arm and leg to buy seems to be a problem. I have some pics of a reversed wishbone on a beam axle I will post later, I really don't think it looks all that bad. Done tastefully and in nice chrome I am guessing will look great. I want to try doing this setup on the car, we have nothing but time to play with it so if it doesn't turn out then ill try something else.

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Depends on what you call an "arm and a leg". I still see V8 60 axles for about three or four hundred at swaps. I haven't done this mod. (kinda wish I had) but I think you'll have to set the front wishbone stubs strait and fill the space between them and the axle to keep them in their place. I have only seen pictures. You can set your spring hanger to set whatever caster you need. As for spring length if it is too long you can have the second or third up spring bent to mane it the right length. Probably don't need all the leaves on a light car anyway.

Just a few thoughts to kick around. Hope others that have done the mod. will chime in.

21. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

How is the front end in your car, a spring over?

I can honestly say I have never seen a v8-60 axle at a swap meet here in wisconsin or Illinois, Iam sure they are selling faster then I can get to them

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yes I mounted mine over the axle. I took the easy way out. Keep checking ebay for a tube axle you might get lucky. Actually if you do get an earlier I beam axle with a smooth "smile" it will look okay.

You know just use what you have and finish the rod and have fun. It took me ten years to finish mine because I had to have just the sight parts. Even then I cut some corners.

23. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

I beams aren't a problem, I have several. This car is not for me, Iam building a rolling chassis for a friend who is doing body and paint on one of my cars, a labor trade kinda thing. He also said to build it the way I would want it, so Iam kinda getting the best of both worlds!

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You really need to get in touch with "need louvers ?" here on the hamb or go to his thread "bucket of ugly". I'm sure he has done this mod. and can give details. Also Von Franko has done it on a couple of his clones. I think they both look at this thread at times.

I forget that everybody isn't like me and is doing this stuff for themselves and are going after just the right one look.

25. Seen several chrome ones come up on the auction sight; bought a really, really nice one for $300 buy it now, couldn't believe it. My kid (the cool old parts magnet) has picked up a couple of chrome ones for under $400 also. Plain ones for less. Just have to watch close and keep your eyes open.

Forgot about that aspect, one set up I looked at had a welded tab on the yoke bolted to threaded block welded on the back side of the axle; but never looked close at other set-ups, something to look for when the cars come out of hibernation in a couple of months.

26. jalopy45

jalopy45

I think this is the same car from 2012 , gives a better view of the air cleaner and valve covers., [​IMG]

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, not the same car, but one of many that was built in a similar vein in the early to mid seventies. This one was the AMBR car in '72-'73 or '74, I can't remember which. If memory serves it was also the same a few years earlier with a different paint scheme and maybe no fenders... Not sure on that one though.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember that car. I NEVER forget a mural, especially when it's applied on the side of a car.:D Lonnie Gilbertson’s 1923 T-Bucket. He won in '71 and '75.

I'm posting a pic of the yellow version and a pic of another of his that's VERY HAMB friendly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I used to be upset about the Oakland Roadster Show being moved to So.Cal. I now think it is the best thing that ever happened to the Grand National. Not only was it expanded to a bigger facility but the judging is better. They no longer judge on how much bling is on a car but overall how good a roadster looks. They now make the contestants drive their cars past the judges to see how it looks moving under it's own power. I really think the #5 in your two pictures would do better in the show now than the monstrosity in the other picture. Although that depicts what was going on in the '70s and what it took to win. If you didn't live through the '70s remember everything was ugly and in bad taste.

30. jalopy45

jalopy45

The #5 car was assembled at the 2001 Portland Roadster Show and driven out sunday.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!