Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Traditional Rodders and Custom builders stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, May 23, 2011.

1. Its because they don't read and understand english. The thread is not about what is traditional or not traditional. It is your chance to make a simple statement of what or who you are.

I don't know any way to make it any more clear than that. Its not about Gee if I just had enough money or my car would be traditional if I hadn't bought new spark plugs.

Maybe read back through the thread and some of the several posts that I explained and re-explained what the question is.

Todd,
    You are absolutely correct. You'll never get a damned one of them done. Send me the lightest one you got puleeze. :D

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Benno,back in post #3 I misunderstood what you were getting at, and now feel partly responsible for this turning into somewhat of a drama thread. I apologise deeply for that, but have now got my head around what you were originally asking and it's so fucking simple I don't see how I missed it.
    I am a traditional Rodder (well, Kustom guy);)
    Paul

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Same here.

I really don't see what's wrong with "labels" in this instance, we use labels to identify a type of car. It's not a dirty word. By the way, if your car is lowered in the front more than the rear it's a "dago." ;)

4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I like them all... some more than others. one of my cars is old enough (1941) but has a modern engine (1967)... and it's far from 'finished'. other cars I have are worn original cars. got way too many projects... and with a lack of skills, money, time, and guts to get into a project like I really should.... I really don't know what I am.

5. theczking

theczking

Here goes it again last time I said this I got kicked to the curb (right Nads)! who said to be traditional you had to do every aspect of the build? Don't ya think even the old rodders had help even back in the day and again I still believe traditional means building the best you could build with the best parts you can find or scrounge big differance between traditional and period correct

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clarification is wonderful, but only if you get it. In my final view I think that someone could buy a Brookville body and an aftermarket frame and build a nearly perfect traditional hotrod. There's enough stuff out there to do it if you have the discipline and knowledge to follow it through to the end. Anyone who would say it sucks because it's not "Henry Steel" would be a poser. A traditional rod doesn't live up to today's performance, accuracy, fuel mileage, or safety standards for that matter. It pays respect to the craftsmen and hotrodders we admire from the past, personal or from publications. A car built that has the same quirks and smells, the same handling issues or limited performance (that new fuelie crate motored car will kick it's ass in most cases), and perhaps if you're lucky enough some upholstery materials that were around back in the day, well it should be the driving experience you were looking for. Not for a contest, not even a measure of one's ability over the other. It was mentioned that many of the "famed" cars from our period were built by pros, and that says it all. Anyone here could outline what they want and say "Hey Jocko, build me this blah blah blah, but I want it to reflect the period of..." and it would be as real as it gets. I don't have to build it in a dirt floor garage with 1 or 2 incandescent bulbs and a wood stove to fulfill the goal either. I said before that I may posess an unfair advantage due to my profession, but that's only for true period details that may not be in the mainstream. Still, the one thing that I love in here is when I see real tradition respected, and the thing that chaps my ass on here is when I see it disrespected. Most often it's in event coverage with a picture of a dreaded rr built by misguided youth with no background or knowledge of the what's and why's.

Anyone can piss n moan about disc brakes and radials. I'd bet a cheesburger and a cup of coffee that most of em don't have anything remotely close and gets their flux of bullshit from a magazine or perhaps here on the board. The one who do have something that feel a need to "correct" what they're looking at would perhaps be better off as a high school hall monitor. At the very core, the "soul" of what the topic should be expressing, is the fun and personal satisfaction of hitting the mark and the ability to share it with like-minded folk who recognize and appreciate it.

7. Mr Speedy just the fact that you call a '67 mill modern puts you in the correct frame of mind to call yourself traditional.

A while back the wife had a '62 belair one day she said to me trade my Chebby I don't want another late model. She now owns a '38 Ford.

Highlander that's deep friend.

Those people of whom you speak they are the ones who should stand and be counted.

Paul
    No drama or no real drama here. I managed to not call anyone a bad name and unless they are just hiding their feelings no one is going to whup anyone. At least not immediately.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That was me, 36Fred...and it still applies.

P n' B --at the risk of alienating you, I don't understand WHY is it important to you, or anyone else, to carry a label...??? Why is it important to KNOW who is "trad" and who is not...???

IF the owner of this site cares not for labels, or who is trad or who isn't on this site...why do you insist on carrying this out...???

R-

9. I consider myself a traditional rodder, but I also like to incorporate some things that are more modern but I take great pains to blend (Camouflage) modern pieces as much as possible. The Fordor in the picture is running a TBI 350 w/ a 700R4 but we worked really hard to conceal the wiring, sensors, etc.

My son drives it everyday and is not mechanically adept so we went with something that he could have repaired by any competent newer car mechanic since he won't always be within driving distance for dad to help out. The car performs great and is getting in the low 20s MPG on the road. He is willing to learn and did most of the body work on the car, learning to weld, metal finish, paint, assemble and align panels. Is the car strictly traditional, nope but it is his first car and he knows the difference in traditional and blended customs. And it isn't rolling on dubs...

The next project he and I are starting is a '27 T Coupe and the newest item we have gathered for it is the ignition switch that we salvaged from our '58 Chevy Apache.

So yes, I am traditional.

Attached Files:

10. el shad

el shad

Here is a label "Junior High Girls". Everyone takes shit so damn personal on here.....

I aspire to be a custom builder but my attention span and wallet haven't allowed it thus far. Maybe one day. Until then I will keep soaking up knowledge and ideas.

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I saw the post that set this off. If it had been directed at me I would'a been pissed.
    I haven't figured out how to post an avatar yet or even a picture, so even if I ain't
    real traditional I am real hard headed and a true Crusty Old Fart.
    Hell come to think of it I ain't even TOOK a photo in years.

I felt like a traditional hot rodder last week end though. Leaving the Good Guy's Nashville event last Saturday I saw a '50 Merc mild custom on the side of the Interstate. Though driving a '98 pick up I pulled over to see if I could help him out
    as I had my "pick-a-part" tool kit in the truck. Turns out this guy don't know car parts from plumbing. His coil wire broke.
    In the ten or fifteen minites it took to find and fix the problem I saw ten or fifteen
    "real Street Rodders" drive right on by, wouldn't even look in our direction.
    Every thing I own is not period correct, but I think that I am a traditional hot rodder.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What he said. Why is it important to you if the rest of us "stand up and be counted." You're asking for labels, which indicates somebody being right, and somebody being wrong, with the people who think they're right feeling just a little bit superior to the other guys.

It ends up being that we are each whatever we SAY we are. If somebody else (you, evidently) wants to argue, than that person gets to pick and choose whatever they think sets them apart, thus putting the other guy on the wrong side of the fence.

If it makes you happy, then I'm a traditional rodder/customizer because I have a car with drum brakes, points, carb, and bias plys.

If it makes you happy, validates your opinions and feel a little bit better than me, then by all means call me a "Street Rodder", a "Gold Chainer", or a "Contemporary Customizer", because I have a car with fuel injection, radials, disk brakes and ABS. Go ahead on, it's not worth aruguing with you about.

I came in to eat a sandwich, and check out the HAMB while I take a break letting some filler kick on the Diamond T so I can sand it and finish the cowl. Didn't know I was going to get drama along with lunch...

Brian

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Roger, with the greatest of respect your phenomenal history in this game, I think it matters because I come on here to look at this;

[​IMG]

not this;

[​IMG]

or God forbid this;

[​IMG]

overused or not, without tradition this might as well be just another car forum.
    Paul

14. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Ditto

I like the way old stuff looks and I like the way new stuff works, so I guess I am on the wrong side of this....

Just a guess here, if the boss got rid of the "non-traditional hot rodders", total users would be about 3,000.....hypothetically of course.

But now I am curious, what did you hope to accomplish with this thread?

15. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Deffinately traditional

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I do as much work as possible on my own cars, body and paint, most mechanical, I'm not a welder, fab parts tack together and have a pro do the finish welding on anything critical. Rely on friends and other ElDorodders for help when ever I'm in over my head. Everyone does things to their own level, would rather see something farmed out rather than unsafe.

17. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Count me in i try to do it all but sometimes its just easier to get a little help like packard helping me figure out how to mount brakes to my spindal mounts.....

18. twochops

twochops

When I chopped my 57 Buick,I sunk the windshield and the
    3pc rear window.Don't remember reading in any mag that
    anyone had done it that way back in the good old days.
    But I then again I don't remember anyone chopping 57 Buick.
    TwoCHOPS

19. In answer to many of you the same with the same question why are you so ashamed to wear the moniker. On a thread all the young guys stand up and be counted or all the chebby guys or all the old guys everyone in one accord will jump up and say hey I'm one of those but on a simple thing where we in theory should all have common ground. Oh no not me, you're not going to put me in that group.

I guess I am surpirsed.

Oh Rog,
    You are going to have to work really hard to allienate me. Everyone should be allowed to disagree with friends. It is all part of being alive.

Someone stated can of worms, I think that it has opened up discussion, way better than hey this is my car, or hey that is really cool, by my way of thinking at least. Always good to know where everyone is comming from.

20. jangleguy

jangleguy

It's a big beach and I'm a pretty tiny grain of sand. Not everything I build is period correct, yet it's all home fabbed, with the majority of purchases coming from the wrecking yard or swap meet. I can rough out body work, but that's about it. I know nothing of upholstery. Sometimes, my machinist pal lets me use his stuff after hours, but I mostly pay for machining. I assume that's all pretty common on here.

When I build stuff for other people, I don't concern myself with following my own rules as much as making the customer (or boss) happy, so I tend to use more store-bought parts there.

21. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

i do all my own work except the finnish paint

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about being a traditionalist or a non-traditionalist. There's nothing wrong with being a non-traditionalist. The HAMB can still be a great tool for you, but this thread was created to see out of all the HAMBers, which ones are really all about being traditional.

23. My knowledge is mostly in engine and mechanical work. That's all done myself. welding and metal isn't exactly something i know but i want to learn. I also have general knowledge in paint and body but not as much as i would like to. What I'm trying to get at is that if i can do the work on my car, ill do it, but if I'm not confident enough ill hire someone to do it for me and if they can, to teach me what they are doing.

24. el shad

el shad

Pee -N- Bee,

You, my friend, crack me up. I like reading your posts and watching the way you express your thoughts and opinions. I dont think you are an ass hole at all (even though I will call you one for fun). I think your honesty is great, and if we all kissed each others ass and agreed on everything the HAMB would suck.

Keep up the fine work.

You are about to hit 1 billion posts by the way....

25. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

arent we all tradititionalist? i mean,that is why we are on the HAMB?

kinda like going to church and asking if their are any christains here?

26. She may have been talking about bennies. :D

27. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Hey! I'm with you guys....

28. Shad
    Contrary to popular belief the majority of these fellas getting all het up are the same fellas that would be there if I needed help with something or wanted someone to have a burger with me. They probably won't admit it publicly but that is beside the point. Disagreement is just a healthy exchange of knowlege.

If you ever fail to call me an ass I'll think that you don't like me anymore, no cheese burgers for you. ;)

I think I have a higher post count than the boss.

29. el shad

el shad

That is exactly what I meant. I enjoy a healthy discussion with the boys, and I admire the way you compose yourself. Not kissing your ass here just though it was a notable observation on my part.

Please proceed being a crotchety old prick, Sir.

30. just stirring the pot here :D but won't everything we do today be considered 'traditional' in fifty years or so anyway.