Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Traditional Hot Rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jimvette59, Feb 6, 2020.

1. jimvette59

jimvette59

Hi fellows I need some advice . I have two sets of Edmonds heads for my 53 Merc. engine one set is what looks like a stock set for the 53 and one set is a early set with a much smaller combustion chamber?

2. There is not really a question here. Do you want to know what you have, the difference between the two, what to use, which is better?

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

I would like to know if the early ones would be to much for basically a stock engine.

K13 likes this.
  4. plan9

plan9

Sounds like you might have milled heads, which was common.
    You'll need to CC the heads to sort it out.... do both sets to obtain a baseline for how you proceed. (ie. piston dome height etc)

Read this thread to find out more:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-head-cc-and-compression.136330/

Not sure what your goal is, but if you just want the look of finned heads, go with the pair that will get you on the road with the least amount of bullshit. If you want a hot flathead you'll need to do a lot more homework.

das858 likes this.

5. jimvette59

jimvette59

Thanks for the information that is what I kinda thought. The early hears combustion chamber is very small compared to the 53 style heads.