Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trade dillema, 54 Chevy vs 50 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser52, Nov 23, 2006.

1. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

my dad has offered me a trade. A 50 ford 2 door sedan he just bought, for my 54 chevy 2 door sedan,they are about the same condition, i cant decide. It would be cool for you to give me some strong/weak points about the two. your vote will determine which i shall have.:confused:

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yeah, dump that Chevy and get your self a FORD!

3. Aftermarket/repro market is about the same on both, suspension and ease of updating is about the same for both, even the book values are about the same. Personally I'd have the Chevy but then I'm not much of a Ford guy.

4. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I'm prolly more into Ford motors than chevy's, but I still vote for the Chevy. I know everyone's got one, but everyone's got a shoebox as well and I like the Chev body lines better. Then again, a flattie's prolly cooler than a stovebolt...

5. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

My first car that I had licensed on the street was a one owner '54 Chevy back in '68, thought it was ugly compaired to the 55-57's in the lot at the time, but I want a two door now. I'm a Ford guy but just never warmed up to the 49-54 Ford looks.

7. Keep the Chevy !

8. Vinnie

Vinnie

It's not a dilemma....Keep the Chevy and borrow the shoebox

9. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

well they are two totally different styles...just remember the Ford takes alot of styling aspects from the Merc.., and is smaller...motor wise they are all interchangeable, so its mostly down to style...youre the one that has to live with it. Parts are readily available for both...I just got rid of a chev for a 49 ford though

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I'd dump that Chevy in a heartbeat.

11. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

12. chevychris5

chevychris5

:) Stick with what U got - Chev. Mind I am biased.
    Think
    why is the old man doing me a real favour anyway?

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

why does your dad want to trade? does he know something you don't?

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pool your resources and build them both together. Then you can start a new post about how to figure out which one to drive to wherever:D

15. 29AROD

29AROD

i like them both. i think it also comes down to what you want to do to the cars. if the top is not coming down a few inches the ford is the better looking one, my opinion. but if you plan on choppin and dropping the chevy has some sick lines. also you cant get razzed by anyone for puttin a 350/350 combo in the 54.

16. teddyp

teddyp

54 chevy way cooler car when done 50 ford are like belly buttons everone has or had one

17. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Bias vs radial----Ford vs Chevy. No solid answer. Boils down to what you want. What do you want?

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I really hate 53-4 Chevys.

19. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Keep The Chevy!!!!!!!!

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Chevy, no ifs ands or buts.

21. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

actually your wrong (A LIL),.... 54 chevy has way more aftermarket possibilities, a mustangII goes in easier to a 54 chevy,... and yes the book value is about the same.

i have both,... dont care for either, cuz they are so overdone. but if i had to make a decision..... CHEVY

22. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

it has always seemed the shoeboxes are way more popular, haha but i guess not.Nomatter which one i get the tops comin down. Personaly i like them both the same, but the shoeboxes seem more natural to be full customs, then again when i see a full custom 54 its jaw dropping.

23. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

Chevy! I love 53-54 Chevy's

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if the ford were a coupe I think I'd like that one. if they were both original drivers I'd take the ford if it were a flathead V8.

I say sell them both and you and pops pool your resources and build a nice 49 chevy coupe.....

25. Pretty sure you can get a kit to put that suspension in either of those cars, Chevy you have a kit to put a late rear in but only because the stock springs aren't meant to carry an open drive rearend.

Ease of a changeover might be a factor, though - my entire expeirence with these Fords are two rotty parts cars, one woodie, one convertible. The Chevy is the one I actually have worked on.

26. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

The Ford.....EZ answer

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like 'em both, but Robert Mitchum didn't drive a Chevy in Thunder Road.

28. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Ford. It's already open driveline.................

29. I've always been a car guy,not a Chevy,or a Ford guy. Love the possiblities of both. Here's two examples. What I will say is,if you plan on chopping it,the Fords much easier. The Chevy window deal is a nightmare. Shoebox windows are a breeze. It's your coin to toss.

Attached Files:

30. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

duke, dont be a homo. keep the chevy... its gunna look way better when its done. chev's have better lines. PLUS... if the 50 was a biz coupe.. then yes... but its not... the chevs already got a motor... the ford doesnt.... the chev (from what i think you said) is running... the chop on the chev is going to look alot better... plus... i want a shoebee.. if you get one.. then i cant.. bitch.