Register now to get rid of these ads!

TRACTOR TITLE AND HOT ROD?is it possible in any state to get a title to tractor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FINLAND, Mar 12, 2011.

    Joined: Nov 1, 2009
    Posts: 15

    from Finland

    Hello! ANY FARMERS IN HAMB....?

    Agricultural question this time: Please advice: Is it possible to get a TITLE TO A TRACTOR IN ANY STATE IN USA?

    i quess farm tractors are not titled anywhere, but how about construction tractors or some other type of tractor...?

    I would like to get a Ford model T or A to be titled as a tractor, no matter in which state....I´ve heard rumours that Louisiana or Tennessee might be such states...? Please advice if someone knows for real.

    (The reason for this such a weird question is that if I get a vintage car to be titled as a tractor, my minor kid will be allowed to drive it while growing up to drive a car...Here in Finland You can drive a tractor in age of 15 but to drive a car You must be 18...-so now I need a Model T or A title which says "tractor" in vehicle information line...He is into Hot Rod scene and I would like to help keep this hobby alive...).

    also: if anyone might have a vintage Tractor title for sale, I would be very interested in it... Ford or Fordson would be the most desirable title.

    Please advice, I highly appreciate any information
  2. I farm. Tractors have no titles. Sorry. Also, why risk it?
  3. appaRATus
    Joined: Oct 25, 2005
    Posts: 134


    I work in agriculture and forestry in Georgia, no tittles here. Just a bill of sale.
  4. Raven53
    Joined: Jan 12, 2009
    Posts: 442

    from Irwin Pa

    no titles in Pennsylvania, I build antique tractors all the time. Bill of sale only.

  5. old lady's mad
    Joined: Mar 18, 2007
    Posts: 173

    old lady's mad

    none in tn. just bill of sale if your lucky.
  6. PhilJohnson
    Joined: Oct 13, 2009
    Posts: 906


    There are no titles for tractors in Wisconsin. I suspect the entire United States is the same. Here in the states the only thing you need to drive your tractor legally down the road is a SMV sign and be over the age of 12. The only title you might get with an A or a T "tractor" is one for a motor vehicle.
  7. Rolf
    Joined: Jul 23, 2002
    Posts: 1,835


    Why don't you import an "EPA traktor" or A-traktor from Sweden?

    I am sure you can find or have one built from an old Ford.
  8. when i was in California they had to regester Backhow to use it working on the roads that had traffic
    also our rental had a titled tag

    last year i iwas in the UK and they had tractors on the highway taged pulling dump traylors
  9. Yep tractors in UK have road tags
  10. mart3406
    Joined: May 31, 2009
    Posts: 3,055

    from Canada

    Just 'hot rod' your Model T or A in the normal
    manner.... and then stick some big knobby
    rear meats, a 3-point hitch and a PTO on the
    back and call it a "homebuilt tractor"! :D

    Or what about hot rodding an actual Fordson
    tractor? I've some on the net with Ford
    flathead V8's swapped in and one even with
    a V12 Lincoln flathead!!! :eek:

    By the way, back in the '20's and '30's
    in Canada and the U.S., there were plans
    and actual conversion kits commercially
    available to convert Model T's and A's into
    farm tractors.

    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. with a insurance card, N.J. will give you commeral tags. 6000 lbs.
  12. Mr48chev
    Joined: Dec 28, 2007
    Posts: 29,058


    Farm tractors aren't registered in this state although they do get driven on highways and roads quite often.

    I have seen plates on city an county tractors and equipment and maybe a back hoe or two belonging to construction companies but those wouldn't do you any good.

    Any Model T or A in this country that was converted to a tractor would have the frame shortened up as short as possible and probably a second transmission behind the first one along with much larger or dual rear tires and not really something on would drive on the street.

    Typical tractor conversion

    There are usually restrictions on those "farm equipment exemptions" for under age drivers too. Meaning that they can only drive on the roads with that license when they are actively engaged in farm related activities and cruising the Ave. or going to a rod trot isn't in that category.
  13. rustdodger
    Joined: Jan 17, 2009
    Posts: 275


    In case you haven't already guessed.In the USA titles are issued by each state to that state's own set of rules.In Washington State (as in most states) tractors are not titled nor do they need a plate or tag to be driven on roads. Titles are required in most states to get the needed paperwork to legally drive your vehicle on the road. Since tractors are usually excluded in most states they don't have a title in my experience. I hope that for your sake there is a state that titles tractors but it isn't something that I have heard of. I'm no farmer but I own a couple of tractors. I hope that is of some help to you.
  14. Oklahoma does not require titles or registration on farm equipment, other than farm-use trucks.
  15. When I bought my tractor, the dealer told me it was, basically, a big lawnmower. There is no title. In CA, as in most states, I would assume, a tractor is an implement of husbandry and requires no registration or operators license. It can be operated on the highway only as necessary and cannot be used as a "car". A friend of mine tried to drive his to the store and was ticketed. He tried to pull the "implement of husbandry" card on the cop, but no dice. The LEO asked him where is your farm (he had none), where are you going (there was no farming, feed stores, farm supply nearby)
    That being said, what flies here in the US probably has little to do with laws and regulations in Finland. You need to ask your DMV/constabulary or whatever you have there
  16. George T G
    Joined: Dec 3, 2008
    Posts: 205

    George T G

    I would have to check to be sure about tractors. but in Pa if you apply for a licence plate for a loader I believe it is SME (Secial Mobil Equpipment) and you pay a title fee and guess what Pa sends a title.When she has time (it's tax season) I will ask Other Half to call PAN and find out about farm tractors but I am sure Pa would GLADELY sell you a title.
  17. bobbyb
    Joined: Jun 28, 2009
    Posts: 151

    from ohio

    No titles for tractors in Ohio
  18. Finnrodder
    Joined: Oct 18, 2009
    Posts: 2,965

    from Finland

    Buy your son a Valmet 15 or 20 and after 3 yrs when he is 18 trade it to model A or something...

    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
    Joined: Jan 13, 2004
    Posts: 2,758


    It might be easier to get the kid a birth certificate that says he's 18.
  20. George T G
    Joined: Dec 3, 2008
    Posts: 205

    George T G

    So why are you concerned about a title anyway? If It's not a car.
  21. AllSteel36
    Joined: Jul 20, 2009
    Posts: 562

    from California

    I can't believe...maybe I'm wrong...that would go through anywhere...have you actually seen cars titled as tractors?

    If not, just use handle bars instead of a steering wheel, if he gets pulled over he can say it's a bicycle!
  22. dorf
    Joined: Dec 5, 2008
    Posts: 1,087

    from ohio

    my neighbor was a drunk they took his drivers license so he drove his tractor to the local pub, highway patrol arrested him for driving a motor vehicle without a license. they can twist or bend the law at will.
  23. good luck getting insurance. the kids a copilot!
  24. 1971BB427
    Joined: Mar 6, 2010
    Posts: 6,762

    from Oregon

    Make him wait like all the other kids do; he'll appreciate it, and wont learn to break the rules.
  25. elcamino65
    Joined: Jan 24, 2010
    Posts: 277

    from washington

    I have a tractor with a washington state title. but its a 70s international. the only reason it has a tittle is becuase we bougth it from the county
    Joined: Nov 1, 2009
    Posts: 15

    from Finland


    Thank You very much for replies, so far it seems that Pennsylvania and Washington might be such states...

    Please keep posting any information You might have.

    Here in Finland it is common for 15 yr old kids to cruise around with their tractors in rural areas and it is OK by cops and insurance companies, in cities kids mostly drive their scooters and so called "moped cars"..well, my son is not exited of those plastic moped cars which look like some japanese toy cars..If the "tractor Hot Rod" fails due to lack of the title our plan B is to build a "moped car out of the fiberglass T- bucket body but there are few regulations which make it more difficult to build:mad: : like engine power is limited to 5.3 hp and max weight is 770 lbs and brakes, safety belts and such parts must have EC-approval documents.

    Tractors which are this old do not have any of these regulations:D but my only way to get it registered in FInland is to import a T or A with tractor title, I cannot just take a car and build it in here and apply a new Finnish title for it...

    In our neighbour country, Sweden, they can build so called "epa tractors" from cars but they are not legal here in Finland...but I just checked from Our DMW that if I import a vintage tractor, it is OK by them.

    So, if You know any state to get a title for some form of "tractor" please post it here.

    Thank You again!
  27. George T G
    Joined: Dec 3, 2008
    Posts: 205

    George T G

    I know you want to work with your son to help heim get started in the hobby but isn't that a bit expensive to buy and import somthing like a Model A tractor from Pa just to get a title.?
    Joined: Nov 1, 2009
    Posts: 15

    from Finland

    Hi ! Well... I just need a title and I´m hoping to get one without vehicle inspection... I export cars regularly from US and one T or A junk does not cost more than those moped cars I´m in position to use some $$$ no matter how I solve this thing and if I can spend some good time with my kid, thats well spent money I think.
  29. George T G
    Joined: Dec 3, 2008
    Posts: 205

    George T G

    I'll ask around
    Joined: Nov 1, 2009
    Posts: 15

    from Finland

    Thank You GEORGE T G, I highly appreciate all help : )

    AND special thanks to FINNRODDER for the pic of the Finnish VALMET tractor, that photo brought me a lot of mixed feelings, You see, I learned to drive with similar beast back at my younger days in early 1970:ies...(I quess my dad thought that it would be more difficult for me to break that thing than his car which I had chrushed a bit while practising...).

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.