Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Track Roadster 16 yrs in the making

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trakrodstr, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Kevin,

thanks for the kind words, I really didn't have much choice about the long time frame, but at the risk of sounding flaky, I think the wait made for a better project. I had plenty of time to think things through.

Is that your car in the profile photo?

Charlie

2. Thanks for the heads-up on the Williams roadster, I'll check it out, my buddy takes the Rodders Journal.

It's hard to believe that this long saga is really coming to a close...I probably won't know how to act.

Cheers,

Charlie

3. Hey Fuzzy...thank you. Your point on riding comfort is very well taken. In fact, you sound like an echo of Jack Presse, he stressed that if your ride isn't fun and comfortable, you won't end up using it very much.

I didn't take as much care as you did with my seating, but over the years I did have 6 or 7 "fittings" to get the driving position and windshield height right.

My best friend lives in Escondido and I'll be visiting him in the track roadster within the year. I'll try to give you a heads-up when I visit SD.

Trakrodstr

4. Jupiter,

Jack Presse and his wife bought the top of a hill south of Missoula MT, near Stevensville. The surrounding valley is quite deep (an old lake bed) and Jack's property sit atop a prominent hill with a genuine 360 degree view of the mountians. It really is a pretty site. By the way Jack will soon have an open slot in his shop in case any of you HAMBers are interested in Jack's talents.

I had not thought of a sound track but your idea is great...thanks.

Trakrodstr

5. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

New meaning to seat time - You going to lose your butt on this one!

6. hasty

hasty

Any progress?

7. Hasty,

Regarding Progress:

Hasty et al,

Yeah progress is being made, after a couple of small scheduling glitches. Jack and I are stopping overt work on the roadster in order to prepare some full view photos of the entire "complete" car. The photos are needed to secure insurance, which is needed to properly register the car. The hope was to get the trunk lid back from the painter, this last weekend — so as to allow a full-sized rear view photo of the roadster. Alas that was not to be. The goal now is to get the trunk lid to Jack and photos made by the end of the week. So, with a bit of luck I may have some full view images to post soon. We'll see...Jack cannot road test the car until we have full insurance protection.

The remaining work is now down to lots of final details such as: wiring lights, mounting headlamps, and correcting gremlins...such as a stubborn hood that "grew" while it was at the painters (after it's last "test" assembly). It looks like the hood will have to be cut, welded and partially repainted....gulp....

I was trying to think of interesting stuff to post/write about until I get the full view photos...any suggestions or technical questions?

More photos soon, I hope; sorry about the slow updates.

Trakrodstr
    aka charlie

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That thing is righteous! I can't get over the drums!

9. hasty

hasty

Thank you. When you have the insurance pictures....

10. Sorry, no photos at this moment.

My father, an electrical engineer, helped design the ultra low frequency communication system for nuclear subs and worked with Admiral Rickover; the father of the nuclear Navy.

Rickover was a driven taskmaster and when someone had failed, or had bad news, that person had to give excuses by number from a list outside of Rickover's office. Thus, an excuse such as "the parts didn't arrive in time" would be number 5, or "there wasn't time" might be excuse #2 and so forth....

Using Rickover’s system, I will, therefore, call this excuse number 1:

The "fancy" insurance company photos were shot this weekend against the backdrop of Jack's home on the hill in Montana. It was necessary to mock-up the hood and deck lid as there are still some issues, one being the hood will have to be repainted. No one’s fault, it’s just one of those “shit happens” deals.

Excuse #2
    The memory chip with the image files was placed in the mail this morning (Tues July 28). Jack is not online so we have a couple of chips we swap via US Postal Mail. When I get the photos I’ll try to get them posted promptly, but this is my annual busy season at work, so the weekend is the most likely appearance time.

The good news is that we are arranging to get the motor fired up using a 4bbl carb. That will allow cam break in and ignition timing to be accomplished. Once the motor is running fine Jack will then hook up the EFI and get that going. One variable at a time is a good way to go.

I learned today that the tranny shift lever is now finalized and that the door release knobs (old Dodge Bros items) are hooked up. I guess when a car project gets to that level of detail, the task is truly nearing its completion.

Well those are my Excuses (#1 and #2) for now; I’ll get to working on my next excuse(s).

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Gonna make your debut goal? Less than four weeks away! :)

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I haven't said anything all thread long...kudos on all the intricate details. I'm a detail freak myself...

...but this car just screams to be painted BLACK!

..just needed to get that off my chest. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

If it had a dark brown seat, there would be no need for the Rickover system :)

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Too bad you're not partaking in the finger's gouged, building three different sets of parts before you get it to work right, and smelling like steel filings every day. That's all the fun of a build. I have a lot of respect for the builder's craftsmanship, thanks for posting.

15. ALLRIGHT!!

Some HAMBers with strong opinions...now we're talkin' …if you’ll excuse a bad pun.

Wicked,

I think about your point a great deal; mainly because you are correct — my own personal satisfaction would be greater if I had done the hands-on work (of course, it might have come out ugly).

Why then did I spend so much time and effort on this project? And despite my lack of hands-on work, why might my contribution be significant? These are very interesting questions and get to the very heart of why hot rods are so quintessentially American; the process of an individual making a car from a pile of disparate parts (apologies to any non-Americans in the audience, but that’s the way I see the history of this endeavor we call hot rodding).

Earlier in this thread, I made the point that my contribution is somewhat similar to an architect who conceptualizes the design of a building but does not actually construct it. This, however, is an imperfect analogy because Jack Presse also made substantial conceptual contributions; thus mine is a somewhat flawed argument.

The reason this project progressed as it did is connected to my professional life. Here’s what I mean:

I am an academic scientist/professor who has trained several generations of graduate students and post-doctoral research fellows (folks who want additional training in preparation for an academic career). So for 28 years I have been training young scientists to be senior scientists…I argue that a somewhat similar process has taken place with the roadster project. I don’t do any of the hands-on work; but using my knowledge and experience I nudge and guide the efforts of others. In other words the grad students, research fellows and technicians are my hands in the laboratory. In this analogy Jack Presse is my hands-on colleague in the auto fabrication shop. If I am really lucky, my hands-on colleagues are exceptionally talented people who do excellent work and make me look good. This I believe is the basis for how Jack Presse and I have worked together. Both parties derive great benefit from this relationship, especially if due credit is given. Perhaps the most important part of my day job is launching the careers of the students and research fellows; i.e., making sure that the young folks get credit for their work and creativity.

Similarly, Jack deserves credit for his contribution and I deserve credit for launching the project, having the vision in the first place, keeping the theme focused and making sure that the project is completed.

When I retire, my plan is to guess what? Construct a car with my own hands, so someday we’ll see whether I have the moxie to get that job done.

LB+1

True, I am making excuses for the interior. However, the light tan leather “spoke” to me that day [EXCUSE #3.]
    LB+1 will have to reserve final judgment until he sees the finished roadster.

3wLarry,

First thanks for your strong opinion, that’s exactly what I want — honest reaction from devotees who really get what a proper hot rod is all about.

You are not alone in your lack of enthusiasm for the drab green body color. As Jack so politely puts it “…that [green] would not have been my choice…”

There are two practical reasons I chose the green. One is that I decided that Jack’s metal sculpture came out so well that I wanted enthusiasts to focus on the surface contours and detail, not on the color. You, I presume, would argue that black also emphasizes shape and form; perhaps so, but the drab green really deemphasizes color.

The second reason is that I wanted a color that evokes the 50s, which the drab green color does.

In a related matter, the single stage paint was flattened a bit and has not been color sanded [mostly] so there is significant orange peel in the paint…This too is a bone of contention, but if, after living with the roadster a while, I agree with Jack and the painter, Ron Rebich [Northwest Muscle Cars] that the paint needs color sanding…I’ll actually do something with my own hands!

Malcom asks the most pointed and sticky question.

The short answer is…no. It is very unlikely that I can get the roadster to the HAMB Drag Nationals. The car will be ready, but it will not be legally titled and insured in time for extensive road testing. Neither I nor Jack want to see this car leave his hands until it has been run through some real world testing. Frankly, I don’t have the money to ship the car to Joplin MO and then back to Montana.

I am embarrassed that I won't be able to follow through with the roadster's debut, but Kansas has some pretty strict DMV laws…ooops sorry, please see EXCUSE #4 for details [too much red tape].

Thank you all very much for your great questions and worthy opinions…conversing on the HAMB forum is really gratifying to me and Jack [ I and John Alfeld, another customer, friend and admirer, who is a HAMBer keep Jack informed].

Trakrodstr
    aka, charlie

16. that motor is a work of art!

17. Just keep us posted. I don't care that you aren't building this one. Hell, I can brew beer but it is also nice to go buy some Rogue or Fat Tire that someone else brewed!

18. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Congrats on your dreams coming to fruition. "14 years "Wow"...Life is short, have fun with your toys! The Oakland Roadster show would be the premier place to show it however the World of Wheels show in Detroit, MI. is where I would debue it.
    ( maybe a top-10 contender??? final fit and finish is largely determinant of that).
    Say,..can you bring me up to speed on the durability of Nickel plating on header pipers? Is it long lasting? I appreciate your imput. Best wishes on finishing your dream
    I'll look forward to seeing it around.

19. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I find all thought liquid until acted upon - No positive with out a negative.

#1 The shade of green selected is mechanically soothing.
    #2 I for one have not the unique mind set to enter into and fund a 14 year Hot Rod enterprise!
    #3 To find & work with these Master Tradesmen that have perfected their craft into working art. I find it just simply amazing.
    #4 Well I guess the seat reminds me of a cheeseburger fries and a malt. lol :)

20. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Keep in mind,..this is your car so the only opinions that really matter about it, are of course yours. Continue to go with your gut feelings on 'what-you-like-best' and in the end, when it's all done and your cruising from place to place, sun on your face, wind in your hair, your pride in ownership will be that much greater, and your smile will be that much wider.

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

For what it is, It is good to see your efforts go into a work of art rather than stopping by a lot and buying a new sports car.
    If you already have a new sports car, that's okay to get you by till the real car is done.

22. Hasty,

My strong thank you for your philosophical message. The is too much food for thought to fire off a quick reply. I will have to let your reflections sink in a bit.

In the meantime there are lots of photos coming.

Kind regards,

Trakrodstr

23. HAMBers:

OK here we go…the attached photos were taken last weekend at Jack Presse’s home/shop near Stevensville Montana. Jack’s friend, John Alfeld, has brought Jack kicking and screaming into the Internet age. I am told the webpage will slowly mature and gain content…stay tuned. [www.streetrodplace.com]

The goal of this photo session was to acquire images for the insurance company so they could write a policy for a roadworthy car. I received the images a couple of days ago and saw a host of new features for the first time; thus, you HAMBers are seeing the new stuff almost as soon as I do.

For example, I had never seen photos of the door panels, rear view mirror, door release knobs, the gauges mounted in a painted cowling and so forth. More importantly this was the first time I had ever seen the whole car with the painted and plated parts all together…HOORAY!!

You will notice that the hood and truck lid are not mounted correctly as these two body panels are destined for repainting; both had “ouchees” and my colleagues in Montana vetoed using the panels without a redo. Fair enough. The problem area on the trunk lid is obvious; the hood apparently just wasn’t up to snuff in a number of ways. Both panels are back at Ron’s paint shop as this is written.

To say that I am very pleased is a vast understatement, but putting my feelings in to words is pretty difficult. There have been many times during the last 14 years when I seriously considered quitting. In the early 2000s if I had not already paid for the engine blueprinting, the induction system, trans, body and frame, I would have given up.

Originally the car was going to be fabricated by Greg Peek at American Track Roadsters in Denver — while that’s a story for another day — I will say the inspiration for the hiding the front suspension, via torsion bars, in the front frame rails was copied directly from Greg’s track roadster that appeared in Street Rodder mag circa 1995. Before I conclude this HAMB project thread, I’ll recap the “history” of how the roadster landed in Jack Presse’s shop. Suffice it to say, due to financial reversals beyond Greg’s control he had to bow out and recommended Jack Presse for the build in 2002.

The photos don’t need explanation; and yes, the paint color issue continues to raise its head. So far the vote is about 50:50 for-and-against the drab green.

My major car buddy, Steve D’auria, in So Cal made a strong pitch for having the paint color-sanded to remove the orange peel. Steve is a hands-on gearhead who has restored vintage Alfas, constructed and restored muscle cars, and is currently in the midst of replicating one of Bud Moore’s famous 63 Mercury Marauders driven with such success in the NASCAR series. Steve’s opinion carries a lot of weight so we’ll see. Parenthetically, I point out that my goal was not to have a orange peel paint job, but rather to have the finish appear like a family sedan, sitting on the showroom floor, circa 1954. Guess what…those 50s Detroit finishes weren’t that shiny, and most of the time new cars showed orange peel in the paint.

Thanks for lookin’ and hangin’ in there with this thread.

trakrodstr

Attached Files:

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Wow! Impressive. Maybe I missed it but what is the make/sizes of the rubber?

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit fire.

26. Nice! I can't wait to see it in person.

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

did I mention black? :D

28. This build and the Pontiac build are top notch and an inspiration. Was hoping to see the roadster at the HAMB Drags but will wait til another time. By the way, I am in total agreement with 3WLarry about the color.
    Later,
    Dick

29. hasty

hasty

Super nice.
    You said your next car starts when you retire. When is that? I'm looking forward to your next build thread...

30. Tman

Coker markets the tires as its Excelsior brand, the tires are made for vintage racing and are "V" rated which is 149mph constant speed.

750-16 EXCELSIOR COMP V and 550-16 EXCELSIOR COMP V

I have a set of old Halibrand Culver City kidney bean magnesium 16in wheels. I will use the Halibrands as touring wheels with tall skinny radial tires (also Coker), the radials are the same diameter as the Excelsior racing tires. The radial tires should be much more user friendly in everyday use.

By the way do any of you HAMBers know a convenient method of scuffing-off or polishing-off the modern DOT lettering on blackwall tires?

Thanks

trakrodstr