Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Toymaker's Twin Engine Dragster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I knew a guy who had a 454 and a 402 bbc hooked together on a pulling tractor and never had a problem. Ever. Hook em together. I don't get what the problem is. Lippy

2. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Yes that is correct.

Elwood

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Makes some since I guess, I'm assuming you'd have the slave engine would fire after the primary/drive engine? I'm curious and I'm sure a few others are too, you sound like you have experience, care to clue us in:D

OK, while working on our other car I slapped a couple heads on and double checked the clearence between the heads and I'm sure I have enough clearence;)
    [​IMG]

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

More inspiration!!!
    [​IMG]

5. yep, that's a benchmark, keep at it sir, sure you guys can make this happen, and with the soul to make it kick butt....;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Heres some more inspiration!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8OukwZl_vsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8OukwZl_vsg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

8. "Don, just to be clear, do you mean he only had one cyl. firing at a time, 45 degrees as I understand it?"

What I believe he said and it is from memory is they were trying to establish just like you are a symetrical firing so there would be even spacing in the firing. The vibes were so bad he could hardly drive the car. In total frustration he said he uncoupled the motors (he did invent the greek coupler you know) and gave one motor a bit of a turn to find out how bad it would be at random coupling. He said the problem was gone immediately. That was during the heydey or I should say at the very beginning of dual motor cars during the NHRA fuel ban. I believe and it is a 40 year old memory. The article may have been called The Dual in the Sun. (I have this fotographic memory thing)
    I personally have no experience with a dually but I remember reading the article.
    Someone will have it I am sure. I am guessing it was around 72 or earlier and it would be Hot ROd. Popular Hotrodding, Drag Illustrated I am thinking. One of those. I just remember reading it and thinking how it relates to other areas like dual carbs or multiples. What we percieve to be the big obstacle in multi setups is often a non issue. He did not know or say what the firing sequence now was but that it was NOT in sequence. The engines were finally just coupled, period and not synched in firing in anyway . When he tried to synch them that is when the bad vibes came. Tractor pullers do multi engines all the time. Ask one of them how they synch their motors. Chances are they dont. Like I said I dont really know personally i just remember reading that. This discussion reminded me of that.
    Don

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how Ivo drove that beast with the center pipes blowing in his face. Guess he was just one of the founding members of the Crazy Motherfuckers Club!! :D You, sir, are doing him proud.

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I'll jump off here and enjoy the rest of this thread silently. Good Luck!!

11. I like the idea of 10* off, it just sounds right to have 8 long burns instead of 16 short, makes sense to me. but what do I know. :p

Rocky, feel free to call on me if you need any engine work, I'm glad to help you get this thing going. ;)

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

14. Your oil pan on the left motor going to clear the oil filter of the one on the right ? You could also look into the shorty spark plugs for added clearence too.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

19. I guess the exhaust must go down on this one.

20. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I love the insipiration shots!!!

21. the dirt pits remind you of anything Roc................................

Go Eagle!!!

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Keep the inspiration photos coming, IVO's car is GORGEOUS!!!! Tim Thank You and I appreciate your offer, I'll be in touch:cool: The oil pans do clear as is (but the filter will be hard to get) however I'm going to "LEVEL" the pan floors to the ground and modify the pick-ups, the shorty plugs is a great idea. Yep Carl, Dirt Pits, Flag Starts......Like Heaven:DYou guys got me GASSED UP and I'm going to the shop!!!

23. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Here's one for you Carl. This was at the Fresno Autorama this year.

Attached Files:

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

On the 4 engine car the front tires did 95% of the smoke and the headers down the middle kept the smoke out of the cockpit and gave him tunnel visability.

There are some youtube vids With Tommy talking about his mutiple engine cars. This was down at the roadster show about 3 years ago for the "Americas Car Collection" museum.and he does discuss firing order.

25. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2p5K4UcW_gs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2p5K4UcW_gs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Frd9zcKF1eE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Frd9zcKF1eE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I_TDSTNPGzU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I_TDSTNPGzU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks for the videos Tim, I agree and plan on using the 10 Degree seperation. I moved the engines closer together and may machine just a bit off the Ring Gear teeth as the teeth are almost bottomed out when I have the lash I'm happy with.
    Originally I was going to to a 3x2 frame rails but after looking at the engine layout I'm gonna use 1 3/4 Rd Tube and use the engine as a stress member. I may even weld the rear plate in the car as the rear and front lower tubes connect at this point with the front lower tubes being 21" O/S to O/S and the rear being 27" O/S to O/S.
    If my cam makes it this week I plan on having it fired this weekend, nothing like a little pressure. Thanks again for all the input, Rocky

Outback likes this.
  27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To make the filter easier to access why not use a remote filter? Then you just have the tubes coming from the left motor, make for quicker and easier changes in the pits?

Doc.

PS, This thread could be titled 'Doc Watson's average dream coming true'.

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Take video of the first fire up!:D

29. Thanks Katuna for the pics, man I'd love to take that one for a ride!!!

Damn Roc you are flying, keep it up you are an inspiration.................

30. chase knight

chase knight

Hi Rocky, just to make sure, you're having an OE gear-drive left-hand camshaft reground for your opposite rotating engine? Even though the camshaft is turning "normally", the throws on the crankshaft are going the "other way", requiring a firing order of 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. On Bob Stratman's inline-twin dragsters, we experimented with engine firing sequences. The 45 degree spread sounded the best, but the car always ran best with both engines firing #1 at the same time. The side-by-side setup may certainly require something different, however. Regards, Chase