Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toy Cars you had as a kid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Hemi J, Aug 13, 2010.

1. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

I had Digital Derby! Holy shit, if my kids could see that game they would laugh their asses off.

2. fitzee

fitzee

I remember my hot wheels the most. I remember when the Hot Wheels Super Chromes came out. they were just too cool.

3. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Wouldn't play with it outside, it was tooooo cool!

4. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

^^^^^ Pic did not post, grrrrrrrr.....

5. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Now?

Attached Files:

6. Still have the "Lakester Special". My buddy had the Smash up Derby set when we were kids

7. I had one of these too. It seems like the few I've seen in flea markets
    have had a price tag of around $35 on them.

[​IMG]

8. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

I had this and the 57 Chevy too! It was so awesome growing up around hot rodding and drag racing!!

On a side note, I blame "CHiPS" and the "Dukes of Hazzard" for the countless destroyed Hot Wheels that my brother and I had...lol Mama always said "if I see ONE MORE CRUSHED OR BURNED HOT WHEEL, SO HELP ME!!!" so we switched to Matchbox!

9. I got my first Hot Wheels cars in late '68. I had about 100 ft of track by '70. There were the sizzlers after that and HO slot cars. I had some Aurora Tuff Ones, Super IIs and AFX. Since the Tyco-Pros were so easy to make fast, the G-Plus cars were a no brainer. A guy didn't even have to be careful splitting the motor case. Before all that, Matchbox cars were the cool toy for me with the 1/43 or so "vintage" models at the top of the list.
    Then there was the Evil Kenevil motor cycle that used a T handle pull thingie to give it power like the demo derby cars. Man was that thing cool!. Those were all replaced with cox and Testrs tether cars and U-control model aircraft. A lot of those toys were salvaged out of the trash on my way to school in the morning.

10. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I got a busted up one for 10 bucks yesterday

[​IMG]

11. Hey Krash,

You said this in a post about toys you had as a kid.

I had a red '63 split window vette with a dice shifter sticking out of the back. It had slicks and a giant chrome blown engine with zoomies. You pull the shifter and it goes forward and makes rumbling noise. This is going off memory. It was circa mid 80's. I think about that thing often.

I've got one of those Vettes. It was recently working but something must have come loose inside...it should work fine again with a little tinkering. Interested?? I also have a real 39 Deluxe Sedan.

Murph

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does anyone know what year this COX Thimble Dome Mercedes GP race car cam out? Dad cut himself trying to start it Christmas day and it has sat on a shelf ever since. Firewall of current toy in under it.

Attached Files:

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My research says 1961.

14. Toner283

Toner283

I think I had (& maybe still have in a box of old toys) that same car but molded in blue instead of red. Much played with & much enjoyed when I was a kid. it was old then. IIRC it came from my grandparent's farm - it was one of my dad's toys when he was a kid.

15. aircoup

aircoup

does anyone remember a elcamino with a tow truck that came as a smash em up kit the elcamino had extra door tire ,hood ect that you could change to make it like you wrecked it probably around 62-63 it was one of my favorites wish i could find one now

16. spider-man12

spider-man12
    from Cincinnati

Hi, I had a purple vehicle that worked as you describe. I was searching for the maker of it when I ran across your message. I still have mine, but it does not work anymore.Also at this time I am not sure where I stored it.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

IIRC those were called Imposters and they were made by Aurora.

Edit: Oops, just noticed that I answered that in this thread 2 1/2 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. i love to find a complete marx toys pitchange charger

and i would love to abl to afford a complete new in the box kenner smash up derby with the 57 nomad and the 57 ford i had like 5 sets of them when i was akid including the bicentennial set all i have now is one of the 57 fords missing all its blow off pieces

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats neat.

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

[​IMG]

I'm on trike, my brother is sitting in my pedal car (He got his own that Christmas)

[​IMG]

I went for the race car, my younger bro, the mass transit thing

21. Plastic 1953 Ford panel truck...opening doors, I would load it with marbles and lincoln logs and drive the hell out of it......

22. i loved my tonkas..

Attached Files:

23. toml24

toml24

I had a Tonka safari Jeep that was a good size in the early 1960s. It was just about industructible. Im sure 100 years from now it will be dug-up at the landfill and will look good as new.

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

This is all I have left of my Thundershift 500 set.
    I wore the wheels off of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I had that Thundershift set as well, those Torino's in mint are a fortune!!!! I had a Tonka jeep, metallic green that made it to my 7th birthday, I had the Sizzlers track, with the '69 T/A in white and blue, loved it!!! Anyone remember Topper Zoomer Boomers, with wind up motors and bodies you could customize??? Had a roadster pickup that brought many a smile to my face!

26. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I collect the Pre-57 Tonka trucks... They are actually from my dad's era though... I have around 15 of them and a few Smith Miller pieces. I also collect vintage BMX & Freestyle bikes from the early to mid 80's...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  27. Hugh N

Hugh N
    from Montana

One of my toys is a 1948 era International pick-up that was a promo for the 40th year of IH trucks. International dealers sold them in the early post-war years at their parts department.

Attached Files:

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW! That trumps the lotus by a long shot! :eek:

29. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I had Matchbox cars.Lots of them.My dad worked for a toy wholesaler.I even had one of the store display carrosels .When the hot wheels came out and the Matchbox Superfast cars came out was the time I quit collecting.Most are gone now.Like many here,I have gotten some of my favorites back again.

30. Got these in 1964, '65 and '66. I was 12 years old when I got my first set and my Dad gave me two more sets in the next two years. Still got 'em after playing the hell out of them. Still got all of the track, too! I staged a wreck with a couple of them as you can see by the burn marks and melted fenders. Not one of my better ideas.

Attached Files: