Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toploader in a Y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftiescat, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Has anyone else found a way to use a Ford 4-speed toploader in a Y-block WITHOUT spending $700 bucks on the QuickTime bellhousing? Thanks!
    -'54 Monterey Coupe build

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes. Get a factory y-block manual trans bell housing. Machine the OD of the toploader throwout bearing flange to the size of the y-block hole. Drill two mounting holes of the toploader to match the y-block bell, and you're set. I think I used the larger 302 type disk & pressure plate (10.5" ?), but I bet a factory y-block (10" ?) would still be fine.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. yes as corn fed stated . it's a pretty easy swap

4. Lancer

Lancer

We will be doing this with our 56 Gasser project as well.

5. mechanic58

mechanic58

Sounds like fun - I wish I had one laying around I could put behind my Y-block.

6. As has already been stated,I did this probably 55 years ago and the memory is some what cloudy but I don't remember having to relieve the bell housing but I may have done some type of grinding the bellhousing,I do remember drilling two new holes. HRP

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Here's a pic of the back side of a Y-block bellhousing - just took this today infact. This is the business end of the 292 in my '62 F100. It has a 3-speed that goes in that hole.

Edit: I guess they made a couple different style bellhousings for the y-block - this one is for the truck 3-speed, the big heavy 3-speed.

[​IMG]

Here's a different one that was also in a truck, but with a truck 4-speed:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. nice, wish I had a Y-block to put in front of my toploader.

9. mechanic58

mechanic58

lol...man, I gotta sweet running 292. I don't think I'm going to part with it yet though.

10. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I put a Toploader behind my 312 back in the late 60's ( when I was still in HS.) using factory bell. I did not do any machining ,

11. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Took one out of a 406 Ford and bolted it to 312 in a '57 w/o mods in 1963.

12. This is what to do for the '65-up versions; if you can find a first-year '64 model, it will bolt up. There is one thing to check with both types; the small-block input shafts have a bit longer pilot bearing shaft on the input, this may need shortening by about 1/4" to avoid bottoming out in the crank. Note that this works with any car bellhousing and truck bells that used car-type trannys (standard 3 speed or OD). The truck-only bell/tranny combos will take more work.

13. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Scored a Y-Block manual bellhousing off eBay. Even has the fork and boot , just under $75. Keep ya posted.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

There are some early Toploaders with the early/both bolt patterns...

15. Lancer

Lancer

Just found me a top loader this week. Super stoked and I had a buddy toss in a truck bell housing for our Y-Block Canned Monster motor. May have to take a little off the input shaft, don't want it pushing on the crank but other than that its a bolt in deal. I just need to clean it up and paint it. It came with an old competition plus shifter and linkage that need soaking and oiling but I'm hopeful it will work well. Gears inside look very nice, not chips breaks or major wear at all.

16. Truck bellhousings are often the way to go. We used to dig through them at the 'yard until we found one that mated up to everything. Anything 1955 and up is worth a look.

Bob

17. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

FYI for anyone not who may not be particularly knowledgeable looking to buy a used manual transmission.
    The main gear teeth in a synchronized transmission rarely have issues. What you need to look at are the dog teeth that engage the shift collar. They get worn down over time, especially by speed shifting with worn synchros. Rounded off dog teeth will give troublesome shifting, and let it pop out of gear. The gears and shift collars will then need replacement.

New gears.

Attached Files:

18. Lancer

Lancer

Ahh, thanks for the additional info Relic Stew. I didn't know that but I will check it out closer now on mine.

19. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

20. Heo2

Heo2

I used a 56 car bellhousing a 68 sb toploader a truck flywheel
    with the truck 11" Long pressure plate. And a 11"clutchdisc that fit the
    toploader. only machining was to cut 1/4 inch of the input shaft
    Late toploaders have both the early and late bolt patern

21. Johnsfiftysix

Johnsfiftysix

I have a 3 speed Saginaw from a '67 C10, with the R10 overdrive. I would like to put it behind the 272 in my '56 F100. I know Quicktime has a bell with the Chevy/Muncie style bolt pattern, but my bell has the ears on it. Does anyone know if the HD trans bell, the lower one pictured above, can be modified to accept this trans?