Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Top dressing for pre-1935 cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Dec 21, 2015.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The black material on my roof is starting to fade in my 1936 Chrysler.
    I know they had many top dressing products in the 1920's to paint the tops.
    My top is in good shape but needs to be more black and less gray.
    What is best to use? Is there something like shoe polish rather than paint?

2. Did you ask over on Fordbarn earlyV8 folks?

3. I use a milky white silicon based product that dries clear and adds life to the dry tops,I also use it on the old rubber running boards.

Can't think of the name of the product but I bought it at a NSRA show. HRP

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Years ago I bought a VW beetle with black upholstery. When I lifted the back seat to service the battery I found the seat was red but had been painted black. I asked the previous owner about it. He told me the seat got damaged but he found a good one in a junk yard, only it was red. So he painted it with black Tremclad rust paint.

I had the car for years and the paint never cracked, peeled or wore through. I would seriously consider painting the top with black Tremclad or Rustoleum, both are flexible rubbery enamel paint.

If you want to go deluxe you can buy special additives to use auto paint on flexible rubber bumpers, should do the same thing.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I really miss Tire Black. That is what I would have used.

6. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

1. what hapened to Tire Black ? was looking for some last year and nobody knew what I was talking about (even some older guys that had been around)

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've painted my running board covers with the Krylon fusion paint. Made specifically for plastic/rubber. Four years now and still looks good.

8. oldolds

oldolds

Short answer. Environmental Protection Agency. Too many voc.

9. indyjps

indyjps

How about Murphys oil soap, I use it on my fabric truck bed cover and leather couch, it's a mild cleaner and the oils in it renew the material. Part of the discoloration is UV damage, part is dirt grime stuck on the top. Use a soft bristle brush to clean it and rub it in.
    Saddle soap could also be used to clean it. Both of these are traditional and very mild cleaners.

Turtle Wax ICE, is another suggestion, I thought it was BS when it came out, it's a wax that stays clear, doesn't whiten. It will provide UV protection. I use it on all my daily drivers on the black plastic trim and mirrors, brings them back to life with a soft sheen. I apply liberally to the black plastic, then use regular wax on the paint. If I hit the trim with the regular wax it doesn't whiten it, because the trim is sealed up with ICE. I used this product on boat seats and it brought back the color well.

Let us know what you use, and what type of material it is. Is the top original, or been replaced with a a modern fabric like 1970's vinyl tops?

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The "vinyl" is in great shape. Nice and soft. I need it darker not moisturized.

11. Years ago- 25+ I got some vinal top coating from the paint store....applied with a foam brush,and if it didn't look like it came from the factory as in brand spanking new, and not fake, You'de think I had the top re-covered. Worth a shot. The product for that purpose is out there and readily available. AND- it was a dye.....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find some of this stuff, it is a great protectant and has a nice sheen witho9ut looking plasticky. I use it on black vinyl tops and it makes them look good for months at a time. upload_2015-12-22_13-58-2.png

13. You can still get tire black its made by weasleys same company that makes bleach white. Probably can get it on line if you look a little bit or if not JC Whittney will have it.

As for top dressing, again JC Whittney or try eastwoods.

14. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Best thing to use is a vinyl elastomeric coating. Anything else you use is just a temporary patch.
    We make a vinyl elastomeric coating, but it is a dye/paint. We have one that accepts a activator which is real popular in the marine industry and since its a exterior piece, I would do a 2k version.
    I know you don't want to paint but this will save you time in the long run. Sem also makes one and it is easy to find at local paint/part stores.