Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tool Quirks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodiewagon46, Aug 9, 2018.

1. I have a severe problem with loaning tools. At work, my standard answer is: why should I feed your family. There are three tool men that stop here once a week.
    IF I loan a tool at work, it costs the borrower a soda to use and they only get to borrow it once. As the lead Technician here, I have the biggest and fullest box. I realize this sounds harsh, but the kids will borrow and never buy and that ain’t right

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. XXL__

XXL__

How would it be any different if the scale was incremented with 0.2mm ticks? You're incorrectly attributing your familiarity with inch increments with being better. They're just different.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Metric system is very easy as everything , measurement, weight, distance etc is all divisible by 10
    Don’t even get me started on ferenhight?! To Celsius!! Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100 easy!!!

Had a European immigrant as an apprentice years back, asked him to get me a 3/8ths bolt
    No clue and when I showed it to him he shouted “ 3/8ths of fucking what ?!?! The presidents dick!!!”

Imperial system is not very efficient , reason why only 3 countries left using it

Wentworth is plain retarted !

j-jock, 34 GAZ, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  4. Right. They use something really bizarre called Withworth (BS) , which means British Standard but to me is bullshit.

My feelings exactly, I won't lend out tools period.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  5. 62rebel

62rebel

Yeaaaahhhh, but only ONE of those three made it to the moon using it.

papadaddio, TagMan and Turnipseed like this.
  6. mach
    Even if you do have a scale with 0.2mm graduations... 1/128" is still a smaller measurement in metric than 0.2mm 1/128" = 0.198mm... 0.198 is a smaller number than 0.2mm. This is important when measuring stuff don't you think?
    Same with 0.5mm... 1/64" is 0.396mm 0.396mm is smaller than 0.5mm
    As we continue down the scale you will find that the Inch equivalent in MM is a smaller (more precise) number.
    It's math, not my familiarity with either system.
    Chappy

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like our old system, as that’s what I’m familiar with. One or the other! The problem is that now we have both! That’s a pain. I was still wrenching when the metrics started showing up on cars and equipment, that was a real pia. Kinda have gotten used to it now, but early on it caused me some scrapped knuckles. I know the metric system has been here forever to some degree, most folks just never saw it. Ie sparkplugs, medicine, chemicals and others. It ain’t going away so might as well get used to it.

Bones

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's two kinds of countries. Those who use the metric system, and those who've walked on the Moon. ;)

The nice thing about Standards, is there are so many to choose from. Actually the US switched to the metric system long ago, in anything that matters, in science and industry and research etc. Mostly the bitching seems to come from the virtue signaling wanker class who are simply now just shooting the stragglers, they insist we convert everything that is now simply a matter of convention - a "pint of beer" in a British pub, is Not Allowed under EU rules, that kind of thing. Who cares?

Our football fields have the 50 yard line. Of what possible benefit would it be to change the nomenclature? We still "hang up" the phone, though phones haven't had hooks in 100 years. One would think people could find something to worry about that actually mattered. One would be wrong.

A cup, a quart, a gallon, a yard, a foot, these are all fine with me and it makes no sense really to upend everything just to satisfy the perpetually outraged. I get about 8000 furlongs to the hogshead in my jalopy, and that's the way I like it!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

It`s what you use in a screwdriver.....Unless you want a phillips screwdriver...Then you use Milk Of Magnesia………………..:)

pat59 and Deuces like this.
  10. The cordless phone I used up until about 10 years ago had a charging station that was wall mounted so I still hung it up. ;)

62rebel likes this.
  11. 62rebel

62rebel

"Roll up your window"..... meaningless for about a decade, now? Anything still sold new with manual windows? Folks are spoiled, I tell ya; spoiled rotten.

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Metrics... Pfffttt!!

I work in construction engineering. Even my dreams have fractions.:D

I do have a nice selection of metric tools, as my kids drive newfangled cars. They have their own toolbox. No crossbreeding allowed!

papadaddio likes this.
  13. williebill

williebill

99% 0f what I have at home is in inches. Maybe I have a couple of metric allen wrenches in a bicycle bag, but the garage don't speak metric.
    At my bike shop, 99% is metric. I have ONE use for a 9/16 wrench, and a car rack I sell uses 5/32 and 7/32 bolts. That's it. Period.
    Yet, after 42 years on the job, I still can't tell you metric sizes by looking.
    But I can tell you a 7/16 from across the street, at night, during a snowstorm.
    I got no idea why, but that's the way it is.
    EDIT... oh yeah, bicycles use 3/16, 1/4, sometimes 5/32 ball bearings. I don't care if your bike came from Italy, Germany, anywhere in Asia, or the dark side of the moon.
    Is that cause we saved their ass, and they needed our bearings ? Hmmmm.

papadaddio and 62rebel like this.
  14. When I was a kid I put a vise grip in my dad's tool box and closed the drawer. He said to always snap vise grips shut before you put them away, so I did. Then I asked why, and his response was "Because I said So!" Sheesh. He later sort of apologized and explained that they tend to snag the drawer when you try to open it. To this day I remember that every time I put away the vise grips. CLOSED vise grips.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. [QUOTE
    Yet, after 42 years on the job, I still can't tell you metric sizes by looking.
    But I can tell you a 7/16 from across the street, at night, during a snowstorm.
    I got no idea why, but that's the way it is.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a problem looking at a metric fastener and knowing what size it is. Because of this (or maybe advancing age and weakening eyesight) I sometimes have trouble telling the difference between 7/16 and 1/2 inch now. :confused:

16. XXL__

XXL__

First, you said "estimating." I'm pretty confident any estimate you can make with your eyes won't know the difference between 0.198 and 0.20. Second, your claim that "it's math" means quite literally nothing in the context of measurements. 1' is 1'. 30.48cm is 30.48cm... and we are talking about the exact same part being measured. There is absolutely NO math involved in determining the length of a part being measured. None. I could measure the item using Smoots (Google it) if I wanted. It would not be any longer or shorter than when I measured it using inch or cm... only the number would be different.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Boilmaker Dave,

We need more people like your dad....and my dad. Heard that several times in my life. Never question him! But,he would take time to explain any and everything in his own time. Miss him now, he sure taught me a lot.... made a good living on what he taught me, didn’t use my degree much, that took five long years to get. Funny how the world works out.

Bones

wackdaddy and BoilermakerDave like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

I'm guilty of that also.... :(:oops:
    Maybe us old farts should quit sitting around and get our asses in gear and get some shit done...;)

Boneyard51 and 34 GAZ like this.
  19. I tried and tried to find a car with roll up windows when I was looking for a new car because I hate electric windows. You have to go get the key and put it in the ignition just to roll up the windows when it starts to rain..aggregating.
    I did find an F150 with roll up windows, its the stripped down version that they sell in lots to governments and contractors, so I bought it...:)

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

BSW
    British Standard Whitworth

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

What year F-150?????

22. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Nothing silly or anal about any of the things mentioned. In the aircraft industry you learn quickly to put everything away in the same condition and in the same spot every time. That way you can quickly determine if something is missing, possibly left in the aircraft. People have been killed because a tool was left in an aircraft or car for that matter. If the owner gets killed in an aircraft you worked on they will use that as a lame excuse for not paying the bill.

23. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is a 2007 with roll up windows (and 5 speed manual trans.) The oldest Granddaughter asked "Whats that for" pointing to the window crank...

Truck64 likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Tell me how!!

Bones

26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Man, I hate when that happens........

Bones

27. Convert 1/128ths to decimal mm without using math....its math to compare inch and Metric scale to scale which Is what a ruler is. And line for line inch scale is marginally more precise than metric scale

28. Its a 2011 F150 bought it a couple of years ago.

Deuces likes this.
  29. XXL__

XXL__

You're the only one converting. If I measure something, and it's 40.000cm long... it's 40.000cm long. The fact that you want to see that in inches... well... 15.748 (or 15-187/250) is on you. If you just stuck to the metric scale... 40.000.

The two numbers have the EXACT same precision. The only difference is the unit of measurement.

62rebel likes this.