Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too long of spark plug wires cause loss of power?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Dec 30, 2008.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Very stupid and almost common sense question but is that right? Too long of wires cause you to lose power?

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Would depend more on the quality of the wires, routing, and how potent the system is as far as stock to high performance. But you would think it's similar to mounting a truck in the read Hope you find the answer. I'll be watching too.........................

3. If they're too long and not tied down properly so they touch the manifolds, they can get holes burned in them and cause misfires - don't ask me how I know this - but I kind of think that any power loss over the lengthwire would be minimal, otherwise there would be a large difference in the resistance if you measure from one terminal to the other with a meter from a short wire to a long one.

4. 1959cac

1959cac

Length..No. Cross talk , if they're not seperated..YES. <p> OHM them too.

5. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I once had a problem because the coil wire was too long. Moved the coil closer to the dizzy and the problem went away.

6. Technically with the quality of plug wires today - NO on a basic street type setup. The resistance of a longer wire isn't really an issue. Unless you were mounting the coil at the other end of the vehicle. Ideally you want to keep them as short as possible. Cross fire isn't the issue now that it once was. Now if you have old crappy wire, that's another story.

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I had a debate with a customer on this topic yesterday.

In theory the shorter wires would be the better performing wires. But the difference would be too minor to make it matter either way