Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tokyo Rose Tribute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikeszcz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool car looked good going down the track on the live feed.
    CONGRATS

loudbang likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Really enjoyed seeing it in person. went back and checked it out 3 different times . Just kept taking in more and more details! That car more so than any other there best reminded me of the cars in the late sixties as a 14 year old kid drooling over every car that looked like it was going a hundred standing still and set me on this life long addiction of building custom, high performance automobiles. Very ,very nice ! Larry

Baron, loudbang and KickinAsphalt like this.
  3. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thanks for the nice comments Larry. We still have a lot to do to finish the car. We were in hurry-up mode to get it to the Meltdown. Hopefully we can finish up the interior this winter and get the WCFB's on it. The Q-jet just doesn't look right on her!

loudbang and KickinAsphalt like this.
  4. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Beautiful car! I was checking it out Friday and Saturday at the Meltdown. I saw you working on the engine in the pits. A valve cover was off. This is the first time I've seen the build thread. You've done a great reproduction of a cool old stocker.

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mike you did a real superb job on building the car. It was great seeing an “old junior stocker” in the staging lanes and on the track. When I was sitting there I looked over and saw your car pull up in the lanes and went over and talked to you for a few minutes. The look of your car surely brought back great memories. I realize it is set up to run in other events and bracket race it so it is not a 265 but it is cool nevertheless. Runs good too. Back in the 60s my favorite classes were gas and stock. There were so many great stockers that were all lettered up and looked the part and ran really strong, such as Tokyo Rose. I realize there is the York get together but wish we could see a few more junior stockers type cars at the Meltdown. They were cars that we could associate with moreso than gassers since they were closer to what many of us drove on the street (and hoping our cars could run anywhere close to the numbers of the big guys).

Hope to see your car at future events-you really nailed it.

Baron, loudbang and KickinAsphalt like this.
  6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Model A John.......I guess you need more than one breather on a smallblock turning 7200. We had to pull the covers and find something in the swap area....thanks Fred Engelhart for donating a pair to the cause! I'm also glad we had an excuse to work on the car. I know my friend Jerry would have had me working on the car no matter what! And....I enjoyed watching your car run. That thing leaves and sets down like it's riding on a cloud.
    I'll admit, a 265 and a hydro would add to the cool factor, but it's just impractical for all we want to do with the car. Heck I'll tell everyone it's a stocker 265 bored and stroked 1/4".......and tell them they can measure it if they doubt me.

7. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Saw the "Rose" run @ the Meltdown Drags. Really is a beautiful car. Thanks for building this cool era correct piece of machinery.

8. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Speaking of running at the Meltdown! Sorry it's late. Awesome car. Very well done.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I was hoping someone caught that.......I had the best view in the house of Marks wagon!

Baron and loudbang like this.
  10. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

I couldn't get my phone out fast enough!

11. Hi Mike! I saw your car at the HAMB Drags... I've told my buddies "It's my favorite car!"
    Such a nice build. My only regret is not spending more time checking it out.
    Anywho... great job!
    IMG_1539.JPG

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful car, or should I say, work of art. That's really what "us guys" in this hobby/world think anyways. I can NEVER see enough Sedan Deliveries! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Couldn't agree more!

'56 150 likes this.
  14. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Lots to do on the car yet but it's more fun running it down the track than working on it. Looking forward to the 50th. anniversary celebration for George Cureton and Ed Miller next July in York. I would love to put George behind the wheel.

Kevs56, KickinAsphalt and loudbang like this.
  15. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Are you going to The Fallout Drags the Meltdown Boys are throwin' at Rock Falls?

16. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

We'll be there Saturday and plan on throwing a turbo 350 in for the day to see if we can pick up the 60 fts.

loudbang likes this.
  17. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Most excellent! I have been wanting to see your car...especially on the strip!

18. Hope to see you there Mike.This race is on a Fun day / High School and club race weekend.Not real sure on track prep.This will be my first outing for the year and would love to have a run with ya and photo.

19. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I was pleasantly surprised to see your car at the Hamb Drags a few weeks ago. Long tow from The Land of 10,000 Lakes, isn't it! You and I made a quarter mile pass together around 4:00 that afternoon. I kept meaning to get over to your pit space to visit, but you know how that goes. We hit the road for home an hour later. Hope to see you next year at the Meltdown or the Hamb!

loudbang likes this.
  20. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I'll be looking for you.

21. Photo from the Fall Out Folk!

Attached Files:

22. loudbang

loudbang

That is one good looking 57 and of course the tokyo too. :rolleyes:

57 300 likes this.
  23. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

The big Ford motor must have got me a little nervous...pushed the shifter from second directly into neutral. Looks like the Turbo 350 is only .05 better than the Powerglide. Hard to tell without back to back testing, but it definitely picked up the 60 ft's so I think we'll stick with it. Best to date, 60 ft.-1.657, ET-12.424, MPH-105.99

UNSHINED 2, 57 300 and loudbang like this.
  24. 1965L79SS

1965L79SS

Another shot of it from Fall Out.
    2016-10-01 025 (800x532) (2).jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

Found an interesting fact on the original driver he was one of the youngest champions in NHRA history. And still holds the record LOL.

In a category that has had several champions in their early 20s, George Cureton is still going strong atop the list. He was 21 years, 1 month old when he captured the Stock eliminator title in 1967 with his Jenkins-powered Tokyo Rose GH/SA '56 Sedan Delivery. He edges four-time NHRA champion Jeff Taylor, who won his first Stock title in 1981, by two months. Other young Stock champions are Brad Burton (22 years, 7 months in 2010), Jason Line (24 years, 3 months in 1993), and Harvey Emmons III (26 years, 10 months in 1994).

TOYKO ROSE email.JPG

26. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

We'll be traveling to York to participate in the 50 year celebration of George's accomplishment.
    York.jpg

27. You just made my day!!! The York U.S. 30 Heritage Days event is a tremendous event and you've just made it all that much more tremendous by bringing your car. I can't wait!!

loudbang likes this.
  28. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I see the guy who "runs the show" still hasn't gotten the hint!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I sure wish Scotty would drag the "original" out to this event. This is once in a lifetime deal for George. It would be a hit regardless of it's condition and I'm sure George and many others would love to see it........I know I would!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  30. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Anyone know the name of the person/persons running the York Nostalgia page on Facebook?