Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Today's "Where does this belong" Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fan Attic, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Happy New Year everyone. I'd like some help finding the right home for a seat frame I acquired this weekend and know the HAMB can tell me what it came from. It was among some "junk" I got included with an old truck I hauled home New Year's Day. The mount rail bolt centers are 45" wide and 15" front to back. The seat bottom springs are 51" wide and the seat backs are 26" tall from the center of the outside hinge pin to the top of the frame. It is obviously a split back bench, probably from a 40's or 50's two door. I found remnants of the turquoise upholstery from inside the hinge arms with a manufacturer and model number still visible. The upholstery is by "GUIDE RELYON" and the left seat back is part #LH 4842135, the right seat was missing the last two digits but it is a #RH 49421XX. There is a back seat spring in the pile too. If you can figure out where it came from and can use it I would donate it to a good cause as it didn't cost me much, just $150 worth of rain gutter. Here are some pics. Note the size and shape of the seat rail release knob. The chrome is still good. Seat knob.jpg Seat Bottom.jpg Seat Back.jpg

2. desotot

desotot

early 60s gm, sorry but I can't pinpoint it closer.

3. Thanks. I wasn't sure if Guide did upholstery for more than GM, and I can't find any reference to GUIDE RELYON. Being just over 4' wide makes me think it's maybe earlier than 60's, or from a Chevy II/Corvair derivative.

4. I went out today and checked a few of my other projects in waiting and this seat is too narrow for a tri-five Chevy and has the wrong look for a small 60's Chevrolet. I don't have any non-Chevy stuff old enough to be a reference. It seems to be post war for sure, but other wise I'm at a loss. Anyone remember when GUIDE RELYON supplied original upholstery? I really want to give this a home before it turns into a KIA.

5. Voiced4you

Voiced4you

Well… I know I’m a little late to the game but I happen to see your question and… The answer is… A protective/decorative piece that covers the connection between the seat-base and the seat-back on a two door coupe or convertible. Here is one from my 1963 Corvair Monza Convertible; The seats are out of the car with the upholsterer at this time but I retain these two pieces in an effort to try to procure new replacements. Your serial number that you quoted was incorrect the last three digits are I35... not 135. These pieces are made of vinyl and have a leather like effect on one side to blend with the vinyl upholstery finish. My left hand piece is in remarkably good condition, whereas the right hand piece has not fared as well through the years. The material is notorious for becoming stiff and cracking through time. 0328EAEB-8AEA-4F64-86CB-78818382B4D6.jpeg E6293C9E-5D93-4228-AA6E-F5F2DF8A4B0B.jpeg