Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today I start building my AD.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmlc216x, Oct 24, 2010.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car

have it sodablasted...but I like the patina it has.

2. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I don't think soda would handle the layers and layers of paint on this thing... And I know it can't handle the rusty spots! Probably would have to be something a little more stout than baking soda :D

3. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Got started yesterday doing all the prep work so Stinson and I can chop it today as soon as he gets here. Started by taking all the trim and windows out of the door.
    [​IMG]
    Then I stripped some paint and rust on the inner roof skin so I could see where to drill out all the spot welds.
    [​IMG]
    43789 holes later I was able to pull the entire skin out pretty cleanly.
    [​IMG]
    So that left just the roof and inner supports. This will make it easier to cut the top off and also use a hammer and dolly when tacking it back together.
    [​IMG]
    Conduit because we can do it! Braced the cab to keep the flexing at a minimum.
    [​IMG]
    Something else I've been meaning to do was make some type of offroad ready welding cart. I couldn't see spending $100 or more on a big wheeled cart so I picked up this dolly and made it work haha
    [​IMG]
    Also been scoping this truck out locally
    [​IMG]
    I think it's a '58?

Well on to chopping, more updates tonight!

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

So where are the updates? Roof back on yet?

5. How'd the chop go? Pics?

6. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Still working I'll post pics in an hour or so

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the idea of cutting out the inner liner for the roof to do the chop. Lots of work but it will sure make things go a lot nicer.

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

These guys know whats going on! Chop looks great and hope everything lined up for you as well.

9. Old Heap

Old Heap

Love your truck!

I'm working on a '50 AD myself, keeping the OG frame but adding an S-10 front clip.

Good Luck! I'm 100% convinced you'll reach your goal of driving that beast to Texas!

10. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Ok wow. Awesome day. Couldn't have asked for it to go any better and definitely couldn't have asked for better help. Thanks a ton mr Stinson for coming out today and throwing down some serious work. Thanks Patrick for stopping by and lending a hand... It was cool to meet someone new from the HAMB too. And now to the updates...

11. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Let's see how quick and simple I can make this with as many pictures as possible...
    [​IMG]
    Marked it with some striping tape and sprayed some paint over it.

[​IMG]
    Mr Stinson was on cutting duty. This guy is the best I've ever seen with a 4.5

[​IMG]
    Cut cut cut!

[​IMG]
    And dropped down for mockup. Loving the full-size dropped backed window.

[​IMG]
    More mock up

12. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

[​IMG]
    Convertible? What?!

[​IMG]
    And split it

[​IMG]
    a couple relief cuts

[​IMG]
    Like what I'm seeing

[​IMG]
    Using some angle iron to help line things

[​IMG]
    Later on that evening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm happy. Took 3 out in the back and about 3.5 up front. Didn't lean the posts back or in any. Relief cuts in the back and split the front half in two pieces to keep the posts stock.

13. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

It made cutting and working the roof so much easier!

Aww man don't lie we were just cutting some stuff up haha

14. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Naw, it looks bitchin'. Glad I was able to come out meet ya'll (I am from MS), and hand stuff to you. Oh yeah, and eat your pizza. I feel the need to chop something now. Well, my feet made the pictures. Sweet!

15. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks, good luck with your truck man and I sure hope its ready to drive!

16. Eric N

Eric N

I love that you kept the back window full sized. I always thought it looked goofy when guys chopped the rear windows into non-existence.

17. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Me too!

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

18. vintage_car

vintage_car

Love the CHOP!!! Good pics through the process too. As for the soda...it will take it to bare metal. I have taken some parts to my local soda blaster that were just as layered and had just as many years on it and they came back like new. He even took undercoating off inner fenders of a buddys impala that had been there for 30+ years. That stuff was just a goopy mess when we tried removing it at the house. As for rust, it won't clean it...it will cut it a little, but that is a limitation of the soda. It will cut off that paint though.

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

20. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Well I'm hoping I can buy a nice big compressor/tank when I get a tax return. Then I can blast it and paint it myself...

21. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

Semi accidental wedge chop for the win! haha Good luck on the door tops. Thanks for the help low-n-slo54!

22. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Haha I think it looks good with a little more out of the front and untouched pillars. Doors shouldn't be too hard... I hope

And again thanks for all the help, and I'm glad were able to pick up a key element to your roadster project.

23. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

It's hard to believe that I only have 86 more days until I leave for the Round up in this truck. I think I'm going to have to make it run pretty soon here... I guess I'll spend the rest of this week working on finishing up the chop and then after that I'll be super-focused on getting it running and then driving.

Hopefully I'll have it out on the road by late february at the latest so I can put a few miles on it and focus on a few more KUSTOM touches I have planned...

24. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

The chop looks good. I like how you left the rear window. I hate seeing AD trucks with the tiny ass mailslot window, it makes em look goofy. Looks like you're on your way to having a killer truck.

25. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks man

Now that I've got the proportions of the roof how I want it I can't stop thinking about grill, headlight, and taillight treatments that will truly set this truck apart from the other AD's that have been built.

26. steve53

steve53

nice job on the chop man! i have a 250 out of a 66 chev in my 53 daily driver and am lovin it. still got the stock 3 speed and 4.11 rear but i dont need to go on the interstate anyhow and only live 15 min from work.

27. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Thanks!

I haven't cracked open the rear end yet, but I fear that it will too high for comfortable highway speeds. Gonna have to do something about that with a 12 hour trip coming up...

28. cassml1

cassml1
    from MS

Chop came out nice.

29. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Wish you could've been there to help!

30. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

Great looking progress, love the top, good job!