Register now to get rid of these ads!

To the guys running a Caravan or MPV seat...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Hey gang, I tried doing multiple searches and found out a lot of info but not exactly what I am looking for. To the guys running a Caravan or MPV seat in the Model A coupe, Did anyone retain the package tray or get rid of it? Storage room is at a premium in the coupe and I really like the use of the package tray and I don't need the extra leg room by removing it. How did the height of the minivan seat back compare to the height of the package tray? If you have pics of your seat with the tray that would be great as well. Thanks

2. My pal used the caravan seat, he took out the package tray. His Coupe was a 30-31

3. I have a caravan seat. I don't currently have my package tray installed. But it looks like it will fit. I'm pretty short so I don't need the leg room either. The top of the seat looks like it will sit at the level of the tray.

4. Sorry, but isn't the package tray under the front most seats? I thought most were using the middle or 3rd seats out of the minivans .... I have a 3rd seat out of a Dodge Caravn in my avatar with 2 1/2" cut out of it and then slightly narrowed in the front. For my 40 Ford p-ups I've used the 3rd seat out of a Chevy Suburban and a 96 Mazda MPV 3rd seat. I will cut down a Suburban seat for my new 32 5-win project, again narrowing it up front to fit the body better ...

Just a couple thoughts here ....

You could put/upholster in a side to side sleeve or pocket to hold documents and such on the back side of a 92-97 Suburban/96 Mazda MPV 3rd seat to get the same amount of storage and that seat folds forward ... Now you have room to house your battery, tools, and perhaps electricals under the seat.

Oops - Hitchhiker answered my question before I could post regarding the package trays ...

5. I was referring to the stock Model A package tray in the coupe. It's a nice spot to store some things on a long trip like the wifes purse. lol :D

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used the center non-folding seat but hinged it so that it tips forward for plenty of storage underneath (for a 32 PU) and access to the battery. No package tray. About the same space as an A coupe.

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I did not use one, but I guess you could. The MPV seat I have Reclines nice so I wouldn't want it. As for underneath, it's all stock & great for storage, I even used existing holes on top of the seat riser to mount, no drilling just tabs welded to the seat struccture

Attached Files:

• seet.jpg
      seet.jpg
      File size:
      370.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I started mocking up mine (Caravan 2nd seat) to fab seat brackets. I'm 6'2" and I need the seat back about another inch which means the package tray has to go. With it removed, there's more than enough room. I'm contemplating a way to narrow the tray 1" to keep it.

Attached Files:

9. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

I've thought about this recently as I've been looking at the components in the 28/29 coupe wood kit which includes the wood piece for the package tray. I have my seat pushed all the way back in the cabin and an extended column drop bringing the steering wheel down closer to my lap. I realistically couldn't scoot my seat forward without modifying the length of my column drop. If you're steering column is still utilizing the stock drop I'm betting you have room to run the caravan seat and retain the package tray because the seat dimensions are not that much different after you remove the caravan seat bracketry from the bottom. I chopped up and modified the caravan seat running gear for fixed legs, but am re-thinking that decision and may get a seat slider mechanism. Also, I made this mistake, you need the middle seat from the van. The rear seat upholstery is usually nicer because kids have not ground food debri into it. However, you'll probably have it re-uhpolstered at some point anyway.

10. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

I didn't mention, but you need the middle caravan seat because the rear caravan seat was too wide.

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

The MPV still slides forward & back, tilts forward & back, & has a passenger seatbelt which works out prefect for my 3 & 8 y.o.

12. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

My car is channeled 4 inches, so the tray had to go. But I did put sliders under the seat for adjustment. Im 5' 10, so I have plenty of room. BTW, the seat is from a Caravan center seat. I like it

13. You guys have been a big help, thanks

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I used a Dodge Caravan seat with the fold down feature so I could better make use of the space behind the seat. I kept my package tray, and fabricated a glove box for small items like registration and a few tools, etc.

I used the Caravan seat mounts...just cut 'em down a bit to get the height and angle I wanted, and welded mounting feet to them. There's even a pull-out cup holder under the seat that was stock, and I kept that feature, too. I got a deal on some military aircraft upholstery material, so I had the seat re-upholstered with that.

Attached Files:

100% Matt likes this.
  15. Canuck

Canuck

Mazda MPV seat on sliders from a late 70s Ford to give a finer adjustment and mount the seat lower to the floor.

Had to retain about 1/2 of the package tray so the bulkhead installed behind the seat would clear the gas tank in the trunk.

Wish I could have eliminated it totally as leg room is in short supply with the reversed and recessed firewall.

Canuck

Attached Files:

16. This is great! I love this idea. I think i'm going to steal it.:D That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks