Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest To Patch or not to Patch. How do some of you lead or guide your clubs as president

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 31, 2018.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was a member of a long standing club , politics (club) got in the way of the fun of the hobby . I was president for a few years , free dues for the year was all I can say was good about being president . You will be amazed at how many grown adult men resort back to childhood lifestyles , when they get there shirts in a knot . The club patch is a good thing , just remember this is not a turf patch as I have seen in many biker club color days . This is a fun hobby don’t sweat the small stuff , we all need to be adults and play adult games , be responsible for your and your club actions . If a member can not act this way , pretty simple they are no longer a member . A list of bylaws is a must and as stated written by an attorney so as if something does happen no one can attack your personal property as repayment for damages . Now here is the big question for your club patches , does the club own the patches or the member . If a member gets ejected does he get to keep the patch or return it to the club ? This can be a real problem that needs some determination as to ownership and responsibility .

LilBlue82 likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The prospects have to wire brush the underside of patchholder's cars & carry a flat black bomb can at all times ...

lothiandon1940 and Chili Phil like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My car club has only two members, and neither of us is president, or treasurer.

scotty t and papadaddio like this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface

I have never been a true member of a small local car club even though I have been asked, attended and participated in a few of their car shows and gatherings. Never been to any of their private club meetings though.

They gave me the impression that they wanted to take over my private shop, borrow tools, fix their vehicles, drink beer and talk crap every week, etc and I like being the lone wolf that does his own thing when I want to and help who I want to. I have enough projects in my shop of my own and was out of room anyways. Having an extra hand at times would be nice but not at the consequences that being a club member would have cost me.

Many years ago I was selling a hood ornament of a jester thumbing his nose on ebay and I ended up selling 25-30 of them to a guy in Ca in one year. He brought a bigger lot originally then he brought 2 or 3 every month. Found out he was trying to start a car club and each member received this hood ornament when they joined.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

That's a rule for what my Italian friends call "our thing"
    If you have to remind your friends about that stuff you definitely need more rules

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I can't take the hobby this seriously.

7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I`d never join a club that would have me for a member..............

8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

If you have rules, you need ways to enforce them. That just doesn't sound like much fun to me.

My group is small, only 5 of us. We have jackets but are very informal and get along great. We don't want to ruin that, so we have no intention of adding "members".

9. papadaddio

papadaddio
    from Minnesota

Best advice ever...

lothiandon1940 and robracer1 like this.
  10. This whole thing seems very silly, especially for a bunch of grown men. Do you have to kill someone to get in?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I figure there is more than enough rules and regulations from the government in the rest of my life I don't need em in my hobby! So no car club for me, although, I am not against group social activities, or cruises, or garage nights, or anything like that. Just don't need anybody's approval or disapproval to do it.

Hombre, Partsguy57, Stllrng. and 2 others like this.
  12. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Do new members need to be voted on? Does vote need to be unanimous? Does vote need to be at a scheduled meeting? Can those not attending a meeting( sick, work,etc.) send their vote in or will a vote be by a quorum? How many for a quorum? What percentage of the quorum is necessary? Can a quorum change dues? Rent a building? Is meeting attendance mandatory? Even for guys on rotating work shifts? What do you do about frequent unexcused absences?
    When our club started to get too big we decided that rather than close membership we would make new rules. An applicant for membership needs to be sponsored by an existing member. Before there can be a vote the applicant must obtain endorsements from four existing members. Before a vote the sponsor and endorsers must explain to the membership why the applicant would make a good member. We even limited how many endorsements a member could make in a years. All of your rules need to be embodied in bylaws and a rule is needed describing how bylaws can be changed.
    I could go on and on.
    Our club is starting our 50th year so we must be doing something right..

bonneville bones and LilBlue82 like this.
  13. If you like drama, then start a club.
    But if you like the kind of drama with the same potential heartaches as a marriage with chump change bank accounts, a trailer full of "jointly owned" second rate equipment, registered trademarks, plus lawyers and judges, then start a BBQ cookoff team....... or maybe a car club.

Don't be afraid to start a car club. But also don't be afraid to let it die a merciful death if it grows unviable.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  14. mountainman2

mountainman2

I joined the Navy in 1967. That cured any desire to "join" organizations for the next 50 years. :)

15. Only clubs I am acquainted with that make a big deal about patches are motorcycle clubs. "The Code" is a new millennium deal, before it was just a way of life. Internal problems are usually dealt with by the chapter Sgt at Arms, unless its something really bad then most clubs have some guys that deal with those. One club that I know of calls those men The Filthy Few. Probably wouldn't go into details on the internet and especially the HAMB (respect for the boss) but suffice to say you either really want to see those guys or you really don't.

In your case I guess I would have to say your club, deal with it your own way.

LOL Chain Drag 'em.

Not always pleasant but I do have a funny story about that. :D Probably not HAMB appropriate but its still funny.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The biggest problem with "Car Clubs" is as soon as you have one meeting, just one, you got politics.

17. Here's the deal a club, car club, MC, bridge club etc are just a bunch of people that like to do something together. Rules in the best of them are just understood. Normally they are just what any decent man would do.

Once you start naming officers and doing the rest of the foofaraw you are asking for trouble. KISS, make it fun and live free.

Hombre, triman62 and Special Ed like this.
  18. I belong to a small local group. No rules, not looking to increase membership, no dues. We all get along quite well. We cruise together and have an informal get together once a week for BS and a couple of cold ones. No pressure.

Some of the other clubs in the area have been troubled with politics, rules, attitudes and egos. I don't envy any of them for that. I left a larger group many years ago for some of those reasons and I don't miss it at all.

nochop and HemiDeuce like this.
  19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

don't know about patches and rules...but I found you a good theme song

20. Congratulations on your clubs 50th anniversary.

Our club,Tri- City Rod & Custom is on it's 46th year.

First and foremost treat each other with respect,listen to what they have to say.

Prospective members in our club need to attend 3 meetings before being voted on for membership,it's mostly a formality because I never remember anyone being rejected.

The dues are minimal & any member over 70 has free membership,we are a old club with old members and one original charter member still living and active.

We are guided by a simple set of Roberts rules,subject to change when needed,there is no minimum meetings to attend.

We are friends first,club members second and as much as we love our wives they never attend meetings.

We learned a long time ago with another local club that when wives are involved and tempers flare they tend to hold a grudge,guys can say kiss my arse and still be friends.

I hope some of this dribble helps.

BTW,I am the President & Head Bubba in charge of TCR&C. HRP

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    jakespeed63, triman62 and LilBlue82 like this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'm over the club thing.
    Had a guy ask me to join his club over the internet, we had never met. Nah.
    Had a "friend" want to start up a club. Told me all about how the club would help members build cars, body work days, engine swap days, etc. Sounded real good while I was doing bodywork on his car while he smoked cigarettes and drank my beer. When I needed engine work help his car overheated and he couldn't come help (was 50 degrees out)
    Needless to say... sour taste in my mouth
    Have a bunch of friends I hang with, we do car things. Its pretty great. we call each other and make plans to hang out, work on cars, just have dinner and BS. So much easier

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Clubs and patches are for the immature criminals in the outlaw motorcycle gangs, and should be left there.

23. You already belong to a club. LOL

In a large club you usually only have a few members that you hang with, that is just the nature of the beast. Where a large club becomes handy is with functions, maybe car shows or club runs ( trips?). Maybe the HAMB is a club, we like each other's company, we share information and we get together when we can.

24. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

This is the perfect set up.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I started one several years ago.
    It got over run by people and car that didn't fit the club.
    I did the art work for the logo and was the first member.
    Now I am my own club and happy with that.

Donuts & Peelouts and triman62 like this.
  26. silent rick

silent rick

i think i'd be more concerned about the invaders mc finding out you copied their rocker. they might not like the idea of you using their property without permission.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I went to a party where a club was initiating a new guy, they had him wear lipstick and all sorts of stupid shit. I'd have just told them fuck you, keep your fucking club. I am my own club, we have lots of fun.

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Even if I did join a club, I wouldn't join one with prospects and I wouldn't allow anyone to call me a prospect. If all are not equal, the club is not worth joining.

Rule #1; A club can have a President and a board. But no prospects.
    Rule #2; No one has to prove them selves to anyone.

I think the best non club environment is when people get together to bullshit about their rods and have fun doing it with no strings attached.

As 49ratfink said "I am my own club, we have lots of fun".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  29. A car club with prospects is a kind of a joke. Most people don't understand the whole prospect concept anyway. Something that people who have spent too much time watching TV never understand is that the car culture and the bike culture is separated by a very large abyss. There is nothing really wrong with either, they are just different.