Register now to get rid of these ads!

"To Flathead, Or Not To Flathead"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wanzer74, Sep 2, 2009.

1. wanzer74

wanzer74
    from fl.

So that is the question, I have a 42 Ford Pickup and it came with a descent flathead! Tonight I started a chop on it and am planning the path this project should go, Should I, A. Rock the flathead and deal with the crap that comes with it! or B. Start the build around a 350 and not B cursing myself later! Maybe this has been asked before, but some bud's R telling me to scrap the ford and start looking 4 a chevy! Where R the guys driving the flatheads and not haveing problems. I dig the flathead and like idea of keeping it with the car but 4 example, going the Atlanta this weekend from Florida and would like to jump in the truck turn the key and not think about anything but getting there! Help me out???
    [​IMG]

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You just answered your own question!

3. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If all your friends are telling you to go with the Chevy, GET NEW FRIENDS.

4. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i have a flathead in my 49 . it runs alittle warm but that can be fixed with the high flow waterpumps. other then that she smokes some . i'll drive it anywhere

5. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

ditto

6. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

you do realize that people drove cars long distances,even across country before the small block came along.I drive a flathead all day long for years,the only problem i have ever had is people wanting to look under the hood to admire the flathead.I dont really know what problems you are alluding to but the flathead owners on the HAMB will beg to differ.Flathead all the way,ford in a ford.

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

My Flathead never gets above 180 (high flow water pumps) and I,ve yet to have a problem. As long as Im not in a hurry, I get there just fine- plus anyone can rock a Chevy 350.

8. wanzer74

wanzer74
    from fl.

I like that!!!

9. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run what you are comfortable with. I was thinking about a sbc in my project but then i stombled onto a 331 Hemi what to do :rolleyes:

10. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

If your a wrench and like the idea of working on the Flattie once in a while, then keep the Flattie. If you think you need for to have more of a reliable engine then put a SMALL BLOCK FORD IN YOUR FORD.

11. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Flathead. How many of these trucks do you see with smallblock chevys. People used to take trips with flatheads all the time back in the 30's and 40's even later than that. Just pack spare parts that might be scarce on the road like water pump, gaskets, etc.

12. wanzer74

wanzer74
    from fl.

[​IMG]
    Needs some luv, early heads on late block, carbs rebuilt, new head gaskets, 12 volt con., alt, and thats just to see if she's worth it! Have no idea what kindna shape it's in.

13. havi

havi

your friends are right, put a chevy in it, and ship that flathead to me, apparently it's deadweight. Actually with the aftermarket parts already put on, I'd say your almost there.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Lighten up a quarter of a turn, young man. The going, the journey, should be the objective of a trip in a Hotrod, the destination always secondary. If the destination is the most important, take the next flight out. :D

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

That flathead looks like a fine place to start to soup up the original hot rod engine...keep it .join the club.

16. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

If you want to scare the daylights out of you wife, kids, or girl friends and impress the local dudes with how long you can light the tires up. Change It. But if you want a good fun truck thats dependable and gets relatively good gas milage a mild flattie will do the trick. Some modern day updates and modern oils will make it a sweetie.

17. Periah Bon3s

Periah Bon3s

a man after my own heart.

18. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

You should never have to ask. Always choose the Flathead. Daily drove mine since March and it runs like a champ. Evey time I tell people what I have in the truck they say but how do you do that its to old. I always use what about in 1953 when my truck was new? Worked for 56 years why not let her keep purring.

19. You will like the Chev, but you will get really tierd of defending your sexual preference all the time :)

Wine cooler anyone!!!!!!!!!

20. mtflat

mtflat

A clean 8BA block with a clean radiator won't overheat. I've run my 48 pu as a daily driver for the past 9 years. I get in, turn the key and go - never think it won't get me there. Keep a screwdriver and pair of pliers in your kit and enjoy the flathead. You'll be glad you did.

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a bone stock '51 club coupe with the original flathead that I've had for 25 years. When I first got it, I had a little overheating and had the radiator recored, which completely solved the problem. I've done one major tuneup and rebuilt the carb, and it runs perfect. A few years ago, I drove it from Minneapolis to Chicago for a car show and it didn't miss a beat.:) This is a non-overdrive car with a 3.55 gear and we took the freeways down, because I had to work Friday and we wanted to get there on time. I ran 60-65 on the interstate with no problem. When we arrived in Chicago, it was almost 100 degrees outside, and we got stuck in traffic. The temp gauge never went over half way, and modern cars were pulling out of the traffic lane overheating. After a couple of days there, we came back on the back roads and it was more pleasant, especially the scenery along the river. I've got a box I keep in the trunk with extra parts (points, plugs, starter, generator, regulator, a spare carb, etc.), but I've never had to use any of them.

These were regular cars back in the day, and if well maintained, can still be. If I had someplace I wanted to go again, I wouldn't hesitate to throw my traveling tool box in the trunk and take off. (There are two reasons for the spare parts and tools; the first is called "ODIE's law" : "If you plan for something it won't happen; if you don't, well.......":rolleyes: The second is that my girlfriend would freak out if I didn't take all that stuff along in "that old car".)

So if your main concern is reliability, it really boils down to the job you do, not what you do it on.

22. The flathead will work just fine even if you are in a hurry.They have plenty of bottom end torque to move that truck. Just make sure the radiator is cleaned, run the right timing and use a shroud. My blown flattie has 20,000 miles on it and has been virtually trouble free.Put 4000 miles on it last year on one trip out west.The motor is actually less complicated to work on than the chevy. Just take a few spare parts with you and have fun.Nothing would sound better than a flattie in your ride.

23. I love small-block chevies, when i used to race, or when I build a GM car. Nothing gets more bang for the buck than a mouse motor. Having said that, you have a decent flattie already? Damn son, have you never heard one breath through some smithies, accelerating or decelerating, nothing sounds better (in your ear Ferrari). So unless you are severely strapped for cash or have no friends who know abut flatties, keep the motor in it. Have flatties in both my 50 Ford business coupe and my 52 Ford sedan delivery. Never get hot, just built them right. Only thing I would suggest is spend your money putting in a 200r overdrive or better yet, a 5-speed and go with a 4:10 rear-end gear. Keeps the motor in song and gets as good gas mileage as a small block.

24. picasso

picasso

Are they your only two options?

25. landau460

landau460

If you look at trends at the moment old is in chevys out and bankrupt:D
    stick with the flat motor. Or alternate, what is wrong with a smallblock ford ?
    I still dont understand all these people throwing sbc motors in fords didnt chev make a car that would take those engines?

26. HD74

HD74

The sound the feel the look, are you kidding??? Flatheads Forever.[​IMG]

27. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you lived closer, I'd trade you a Chevy motor and help you put it in.

Keep the flathead.

28. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Same here. Two years ago coming out of the Pumpkin Run near Cincinnati the cars were backed up and I sat running for a 1/2 hour waiting to get out of the gate. When I got out of the gate there were 3 Chevy powered street rods along the side of the road belching steam. That was the year I missed the $13,000.00 split the pot by 3 numbers:(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  29. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

yea

30. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

A sbc with points and carb, need as much attention as a flathead with points and carbs.

The only drawback the flattie have is that it dont have any oilfilter, so you have to change oil more often.

Computer managed engines wins all the time over the old stuff, regarding realibility.