Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titling an Abandoned Vehicle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 3spd

3spd

I am interested in purchasing a vehicle that has a abandon vehicle affidavit signed by the sheriff. The vehicle is in Washington and I live in Oregon. The Oregon DMV says I have to get it titled in Washington before transferring it to an Oregon title. The car is in extremely rough shape but I'm pretty sure I can get it for a very reasonable price.

How much of a hassle would doing that be? Can I even get a Washington title as an Oregon resident? Would the fees be outrageous?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

what year car is it? sometimes you can kinda find the title, if you know what I mean, search around you might find that cars title. wink...wink....

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I would think a salvage title

4. 3spd

3spd

The car is a 1956 Buick Century wagon.

Ryland

5. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Well when i bought my 54 ford customline, its been sitting since the mid 70's in Arizona, and i lived in California.

What i did was made the trip out there and got the VIN# (you can call if theres a guy ur buyin it from)and called AAA or the DMV. Ask them to run the VIN cause your interested in buying an old car and see if it clear or has any problems. ( like if it reported stolen etc...) Or see if its in the system.

Lucky for me when they ran the VIN they couldnt find it cause it wasnt in the system at all. So i just bought it and registered it under my name and made a new pink-slip for it in California.

I would suggest you try that route.See if its even in the system, cause if it isnt i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get a new title for it in your state.
    Hope my experience/story helped

Good luck!:)

6. RichG

RichG

My bro-in-law has bought several cars in Oregon from tow yards. He gets the title transferred in Oregon to him, then brings to Washington, has it inspected, then Washington issues a title...no big deal at all.

As long as the affidavit is legit you shouldn't have any problems:D Now, go get that car!

7. 3spd

3spd

I assume the VIN would show up in both Oregon's and Washington's files, if its in there that is. Correct?

The seller says it rolls but one of the wheels popped when they moved it. How do I get this thing onto a trailer? A winch?

The floors are pretty rusty, do people sell repo floors for these? Or do I have to make my own?

Thanks,
    Ryland

8. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

You can try both dmv's. I just called the dmv in california where i live cause thats where i would be registering it. So just call the dmv in your state.

If the car is stuburn to get on the trailer i would just use a winch and drag in ontop of the trailer, then strap it down secure.

I would assume they would make some repro parts but not much.You'd have to look that up im not 2 familiar with make and model. Although im sure other models that are similar in year would share alot of parts.

9. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Someone Abandoned a '56 Buick wagon??? Their loss, your gain.

10. the dmv doesn't care if you live on the moon as long as you have id and a mailing address to send the new title to your fine. wa.,ore,cal. only recognize titles because the notary who signed the paperwork in this case a AVR is only licenced in said state. no if ands or buts! bought a jeep on ebay from cal. with tow auction paperwork and had to do paperwork when i was in cal. the next time if i wanted wa. paperwork.

11. RichG

RichG

Us poor folk have been using come-a-longs for decades:D It takes a little longer but the investment is far, far cheaper...

12. 3spd

3spd

Thank you all for your replies.

I didn't even thing about a come along... thank you!

Since I don't own a car trailer where is the best place to rent one, uhaul?

Thanks,
    Ryland

13. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I was lookin at that car! Should have scooped it up before you!!
    It is pretty rough!

14. 3spd

3spd

If you want it you should take it. I'm 17 with no car experience so its probably going to be way over my head. But I thought I would give it a go...

Ryland

15. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I picked up my '37 Dodge using a Uhaul trailer and a come-along, it had been sitting for about 50 years. The larger "car transporter" that Uhaul rents should work pretty well for you. They're heavy trailers, but on the up side there's lots of places to hook a come-along to. Bring some blocks of wood or wheel chocks if you go the come-along route, you'll probably have to reposition the come-along a couple times and you'll need the car to be chocked to stay where it is while you re-adjust.

Now go get it!

16. 73RR

73RR

U-Haul will ask alot of silly questions, like, what kind of car are you transporting? A 56 Buick will likely not be on the 'approved' list, so tell them it is a 84 Mustang or something fairly small...:D

I sure hope that you have someone offering a 'guiding' hand. I personally grew up without one and the learning curve was a vertical line.

Best of luck.

17. 21tat

21tat

Good luck with that.

18. turney33

turney33
    from pasco,wa

in the woods,wallula junction?

19. 3spd

3spd

There aren't very many hot rodders in my town but I know some people that have done restorations and the like so I'm not completely alone. Plus I have the HAMB

Thanks,
    Ryland

20. RichG

RichG

Take someone with you to load the car that has some experience doing so. I know it sounds kinda condescending, but you can get yourself hurt pdq if you've never done it before:).

Take some chains too, make sure they have hooks at both ends, good sized chain, not the flimsy cheap kind, also stay away from rope when loading a car, just not a good idea in general.

Now go get that car already! :D

21. 3spd

3spd

I would but I don't have a truck to haul it with so I'm waiting for one of my friends to come available. Unless you know someone in the Portland are that would like to let me borrow theirs, and a car trailer would be nice too. Looks like ill have to wait.

Ryland

22. good for you and great luck

23. RichG

RichG

I'm just razzin' ya, as you get older you find out that patience is one of those things that you don't learn, you earn. It doesn't matter how fast YOU want something to go, it's gonna happen at its own pace. The secret to low blood pressure is learning to accept this.

Be sure to post some pics when you get your ride, and good luck to ya :D

24. NORSON

NORSON

I bought an abandoned car at a washington auction and titled it in oregon. No problems that I recall. It will need to be inspected by the Oregon DMV so I'd do it while it's still on the trailer. Later it becomes a problem

25. Thats a good one...
    It should be the same as what I recently did. Bought a 66 fairlane wagon from a guy in Bothell with no title.

Wait, don't get yer panties in a bunch just yet guys.

The original owner had passed away and his son sold it to this guy with the promise if they found the title the would send it to him. It didn't happen so a year later he decided to sell it. Many buyers showed up, but as soon as he said "no title" they would walk away... Lucky for me the price kept going down. I had my Brother go inspect it before I would tell the seller it was sold. I questioned the seller about the original owner and who I needed to contact. He gave me the names so I checked it out with the DMV and everything was correct.
    Now, this is what I had to do...
    Send a letter to the last registered owner requesting they fill out and sign a "lost title" affidavit and release it to me. Mail it "certified" return recipt requested. If the letter comes back, which it did, I applied for a temporary registration, good for three years and at the end of the three years I can apply for the title.
    As long as you're going to keep it, this works.

You should check with the Oregon DMV on how you would proceed to get it licensed before the three years expired.

I can send you a copy of the letter I sent if you would like.

Scott

26. silversink

silversink

Where in stumptown are you, maybe I could help if you need it soon as I have an opperation for next wed. I live in Tigard.

27. 3spd

3spd

What do they look for on the inspection? Is it just like a VIN check or something?

Silversink:

I live In Lake Oswego.

Thanks,
    Ryland

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Electrodude, 73RR & SilverSink: YOU guys are shining examples of why the HAMB is great and what rods/customs as a hobby CAN be when at its very best!

You've given a young guy starting out solid info on how-tos and safety, even offering to lend a hand. You're a credit to the HAMB and your habby/sport). I wish there had been a HAMB back when I was 17.

29. 3spd

3spd

Yes, thank you guys very much. Just to let you know I have purchased the car and am now just trying to get a picture of what a deep hole I really just jumped into. I'll will post more on that later.

Thanks,
    Ryland

30. Gas Giant

Gas Giant