Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIRES, white wall tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Dec 7, 2003.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Mercman, be carefull when you go down with the finer grits, the white underneath the black is very very thin and can be burned thru very easy. You may see some scrathes up close too but i think its good for a driver and its better than paying a crap load for cokers ans tuff. Tell us how it comes out when you go with the finer grits? Poncho, post some pics of your rides with the new whites!! Nate

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Unbelievable....butt way Cool.

3. damn cool post! gotta grab a few junk tires tomorrow and practice, since i'm so cheap and the car has new narrow whites, couldn't justify buying new tires, but wanted ww's. Nate you kick ass, thanks for the post

4. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool. Thanks Nate

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nate thanks for this post and the work you put into it. It's totally cool! Talk about a money saver for us poor guys.Now we need to come up a machine or some kind of template device that will grind these with repetitive control and follow a fine edge with a smooth finish. I am going to try this too.

6. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

DUDE, you RULE. My dad has a variable speed buffer that im gonna try this with

KUSTOMIZER for PRES!!!!!!

7. Jim At KOA

Jim At KOA

Whitewallsplus.com sells a wide white that the same thing was done on. Except after they grind down to the white they apply an additional whitewall overlay. I have seen them that were over 3 years old and driven a lot and they are still pure white. I also have them on my radical '49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan.

8. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

A year or so this same topic came up. Someone look in their older issues of CK Deluxe. They had an article about the cutting technique Hatch was talking about ....

Have fun........WWW's Rule

9. I'm an old guy (well not that old) and I can deffanatly afford to buy new ww, but this post is great.

10. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

ya I remember that article in CkDeluxe, it just showed him doing it, never what the machine looked like. I wish someone had some pics of the machine so we could make our own. I still want to put double pinstripe white walls on something I own one day.
    -Jesse

11. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool, glad ypu guys enjoy it!!! Nate

12. MBL

MBL

I am so gonna do this when I get the tranny squared away in the Packard....now could you use a finer grit and get a smoother appearence...which would take longer to do? Just a thought.
    Tim
    MBL

13. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

you can definately move down to a finer grit,like you said it will just take longer to cut thru the rubber!! Nate

14. Josh

Josh
    from So. IL

Nate. Youre th MAN! You just saved me $600.00. I'm happy.

15. MBL

MBL

Now just for curiosity sake....will this also be the case on bias ply tyres? Or only radials?
    Tim
    MBL

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

Here's an old pic of me "on site" cutting whites. The rear is done and I'm starting on the front....The machine sat under the wheel and rotated it slowly while a small motorized cutting head did the cutting. The head was movable and you could change the cutting wheels to different size cuts.

Attached Files:

17. Kustm52

Kustm52

Well, thought I would throw my $.02 in here....I had a set cut here locally in B'ham. There's a guy with a used tire store, (in the part of town you don't get out of your vehicle without a gun on you!) that makes a good living doing this. He has an old stationary machine that inflates the tire on a drum, then slowly rotates it as the cutting head does the work. He then applies some tiype of liquid rubber to the cut area....but it cracks an looks like crap two week later. His machine will only cut up to 1.5" whitwalls, and starts about 3/4" from the rim. I tried doing a set manually, and the problem I had was the outer edge of the white was not even. It's also VERY easy to dig into the tire while you are cutting...I was using a air powered buffer (similiar to a die grinder) with a wheeel on it that looks like a scotchbrite pad. This was given to me by a guy who works at a BF Goodrich plant here, that is what they use to clean up the sidewalls after the tires come out of the mold. Maybe I just need to get some used tires and practice...with the locuk I've had with Coker and Diamondback maybe this is the way to go...

Brian

18. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Ive never done this on bias plys but i wouldnt see why it wouldnt work! The main thing is to practice on crappy tires and you will get better at it. My first few tires sucked!! Now they look pretty good i think. Glad i could help!! Nate

19. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Anybody have any pics of the cutting heads there talking about to see? Nate

20. Will I tried it , and it worked, cool: . I smell like burnt rubber now but it was worth it.I am going to try and post a pic with this of a before and after, here goes.

Attached Files:

21. It's not purfect , but for my first try I thought it was pretty good.I need to try it a few more times before I do my new ones. I used a 4"grinder with an 80 grit sandpaper disc.

22. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool, just keep on practicing!! Nate

23. Elrusto

Elrusto

I tried it! All I can say is I need alot more practice. Mine were far from pretty. [​IMG]

24. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

what grit did you use elrust? I'm thinking about givin it a shot, and want to see how other people are doing it and what they're using.

25. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Kustomizer- You ROCK holmes!..Great post! I was just asking about this...Dirty

26. Elrusto

Elrusto

I used 80 grit. It was smooth but my un-steady hand and lack of technique left some gouges in it.

27. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember seeing a show some time ago that I believe stated all tires are white to begin with, then coated in black to keep em from lookin cruddy from dirt and road junk...ever seen all white tires?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have'nt read the whole post yet so forgive me if this has been answered allready. the rubber the tires are made from is naturaly white, they add carbon to it to make it black (at least originaly thats how they did it). i have seen all white tires on some of the earliest automobiles.

28. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Im not sure about that one, but im sure it was done. I dont think they do it any more though!! Nate

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

dunno about car tires but i know they have all white motorcycle tires

tim

30. Only for really old cars...

[​IMG]