Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tires for 18x3 Radir wheels on altered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mrhp, Dec 4, 2016.

1. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Looks like most guys use a motorcycle tire for a front tire on their altered. I am looking at a 3.50x18 and wonder what has been used with success. Would like a period looking tire that will be up to the task, and pass tech at the track. No street use at all. What are your recommendations?

2. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Mickey Thompson Motorcycle Front Drag Tire # 3210, 2.50/2.75-18 for 3" wide wheels.

upload_2016-12-4_20-43-50.png

3. Not certain about tech but looks right to me.
    Metzler 4.00-18 M/C 64P block K

It's a side car tire. Front and rear motor cycle tires are constructed differently for motorcycle type loads and round contact patch. Sidecar tires are constructed to see side loads and a more flat contact patch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have a set of 4.75-500x18 Excelcior , brand new.
    I'd let go cheap, they have the Look - flat contact patch, square shoulders, pie crust edge but are taller @28-1/2 "

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mrhp likes this.
  4. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

That is the tire I would run^^^^^
    Or I would lightly grove the Micky

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    mrhp likes this.

5. There's 3 tires, which one do you like?

mrhp likes this.
  6. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I like the Metzler, but will it pass tech? The excelcior is also good looking, but too tall. I just want a safe tire that the tech guys wont jump me over.

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

Metzeler rated to 93 MPH, Excelsior to 130

mrhp likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

NHRA says automotive type represented by manufacture for competition eliminator.
    What ever that means.

mrhp likes this.
  9. rooman

rooman

^^^^ That is if you run Comp elim at NHRA points races etc. No mention of any specifics in Super Pro/ Pro etc.

Why groove it?--he is not going to race in the rain and there is probably not enough rubber to do that safely anyway.

mrhp, just call Jon at Hayden Wheels --- 805 444 4489-- he specializes in this sort of thing.
    http://www.haydenent.com/

Roo

mrhp and Hnstray like this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like the looks of the Metzler best, but that is beside the point. Beyond any speed rating, I think the load rating is equally, if not more, important to consider. Do motorcycle tires have load rating data printed on the sidewalks like automotive tires.

Ray

mrhp likes this.
  11. Phil1934

Phil1934

Metzeler is rated 617 lbs

mrhp likes this.
  12. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I am looking at running 10.0, no certification or license. Just running for fun. I would like to see what is run on other altereds. Who has the best luck with what tire. I would think I have more weight on the front tires than a dragster.

13. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Rooman, I talked to Jon, and he was pretty sure on dragsters and such, but not so sure on an altered.

14. Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    mrhp likes this.
  15. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Thanks 31, I sent him a message!

16. You bet!
    That's definetly a MC tire,

mrhp likes this.
  17. They do have the load rating on the tire, as well as the speed rating. Typical ratings will be around 500 lbs for a front tire, 700 lbs for a rear, depending on size. One thing you do need to pay attention to is 'direction'; modern motorcycle tires are directional. If you run a rear tire in a front application, run it 'backwards' for better braking response.

mrhp likes this.
  18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

All 3 ,
    I do not know about the Pie crust in Race , what Are the spec information ?
    There are ways to put Light grooves in tire,
    I miss read I did not realize that he was going to Race /make passes, ""thought show !!!
    Modern Motorcycle tire should have no problems, the Altered should be less then 1,800 pds total & 140 or less , you still want a tire that handles, In a Altered you still drive it ,
    (steer input )
    I run Good Years on my Blown Altered , but I am over 200mph.
    He can buff off the name of the tire

mrhp likes this.
  19. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Hog Mtn Dave, you around?

20. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

They're Cheng Shin motorcycle tires. Radir used to sell them. They had 2 sizes. I bought the smaller of the 2. I'll have to look at them to confirm the size. Hope that helps.

21. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Thanks Dave! Any help is sure appreciated. Brian.

22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I looked the tires. Here's what's on them ; Chen Shin 3.50 x 18 nylon 2 plies Tube type. 4 ply rating. Load range B. DOT approved. Max load 495 lbs @ 36 psi cold.
    I've been running them for 10 years. My car w driver is about 2000 lbs. Never scaled it but most of the weight is on the back tires for sure. I used to have Goodyear front runners and was a little concerned about wheelies but I've done plenty with the Cheng Shins w no issues.

mad mikey likes this.
  23. Chen Shin is out of the motorcycle tire business (and has been for 7-8 years). And that sizing is mostly obsolete too. A current equivalent would be a 120/90-18 which is designed for a 2.75" rim width (although a 1/2" either way won't matter) and carries a load rating of about 640 lbs. You can get them in either tube or tubeless depending on the manufacturer/model line. You'll also find a 130/70-18, but it's pretty low profile and has a lower load rating at 600 lbs (as well as needing a wider rim) but will give a slightly larger contact patch. Pretty much all of the major bike tire manufacturers sell these sizes in one line or another, but look to Shinko, Duro, and Kenda for the 'budget' offerings (which was the market Chen Shin was in). Do check load ratings, as these can vary considerably between manufacturers, and the metric sizes will almost always be higher. Most will have a 'H' speed rating (130 mph). I've personally had the best luck with Shinko and Duro tires on my bikes. For what you're doing, I'd look at a 'touring' type tire.

There used to be a larger 130/90-18 available (equivalent to a 4.00-18) but it's gone obsolete and is only available from 'specialty' makers ($$$). But even the 120/90-18 isn't all that 'common' these days, so expect to special order these if you try a motorcycle dealer. Rocky Mountain and Dennis Kirk are both great mail order houses for tires.

Keep in mind that price has little bearing on value or quality. Chen Shin was a popular tire because they lasted about 60-70% as long as the 'better' tires but cost less than 1/2 as much. That's still pretty much true, with the 'budget' tires offering a lower 'price-per-mile' as long as you don't mind changing tires.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    mrhp likes this.
  24. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Tires, wheels and tubes ordered. Should be here next Friday!! I went with a 400-18 tire, 130 speed rating, and 600 pound load. Will get some pictures up when they are on the car. Thanks everyone for your input. Brian.

25. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Where did you end up getting the tires? Does Radir sell them or offer advice on sources?

26. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I ordered wheels from Speedway. Radir said they had none at this time. Did not ask Radir about tires. I found the tires online after lots of digging. It is an IRC brand, item number 302404 and the size is 4.00-18. Hope this helps. Brian

27. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Wheels and tires mounted! Thanks everybody. I love the look.

Attached Files:

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speed rating is for "sustained speed". There Is testing and I believe every tire MUST not show any sign of a problem at 2 times the speed rating. Tom Burkand has proven this to be true. Load may be more important, if you can calculate the loading as you come off the gas and the parachute comes out. Tread is the enemy at sustained high speed and even the 5 mile acceleration and 3-4 mile deceleration at Bonneville, the tires have minimum tread. What you are doing and what you have look good to me but I am not a tire engineer.

loudbang likes this.
  29. image.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  30. pnevells

pnevells

We run the motorcycle tires that Radir sells, it is the bigger of the two he sells, we have over 75 runs in 135 mph range with no issues at all, our car is 1800 lbs

warmup.JPG