Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tires (and/or wheels) for cheap 48 Chevy Dually

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FFFFrank, Aug 15, 2012.

1. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Picked up this ebay special for $1200 and am trying to get it road worthy. It's a 48 Chevy 1-ton. Purrs like a kitten. Looks halfway rad. Doesn't stop (yet.) Has complete rubbish on all 6 corners.

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a way to either find cheap bias ply tires to replace the ones on there or upgrade (somehow) to a more modern radial setup. The problem is the dually rear end -- I don't think any modern 8-bolt setups are going to work since the radial tires/wheels are so much wider.

I could swap out the rear axle but that sounds like a pretty big headache and I've already put some decent money into the rear brakes. Thoughts? Ideas? Scoldings on how it's my 1st post and I've (probably) violated numerous H.A.M.B. "rules?" I'm all ears.

2. shadams

shadams

That thing is sweet....sorry, thats all i got....

3. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Thanks. Looked a lot better before it had its hand in my wallet and it's oil all over my driveway... but.... It's def. solid for being from the midwest. Was an old guys daily driver until 4 years ago.

4. Well lets see its an old farm truck, pretty rad I suppose if you are a Amish and are used to horse and buggy. :rolleyes:

Google farm coop or farm store and you will come up with a ton of coops and or farm stores perhaps there is one near you. I get the bias plys for my parts hauler from lincoln nebraska 6 ply mud and snow 100 a tire to my door.

Now if you want to know what rules you broke try going here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

I am willing to bet you already have and you are just a prick but in case you haven't and honestly don't know this is where to look for rules.

You haven't broken too many.

Enjoy your old truck.

5. shadams

shadams

haaaa^^^I was thinking the same thing. Odd how he knew that there were rules he might be breaking...

Anyway, if that is the case, you'll fit right in. Lots of pricks around here!

6. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

I knew enough to know that the HAMB is intimidating with all its postwhores, know-it-alls, grumps, old-timers and keyboard jockeys that I wanted to at least pretend that I was aware that their were rules. I assumed most of them were unwritten. I suspect I'm still right.

And I'm not amish but my "horse and buggy" (AKA... boat hauler) is currently a 1993 F250 with about as much style as my hanes undershirt. This may replace it for its 1.5 mile (roundtrip), 20mph duties.

7. At least you didn't use the "R" word...

8. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

At least my first post wasn't about "preserving the rust."

9. deto

deto

You're already a step ahead

10. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

I've got agricultural suppliers, implement suppliers, and "fleet and farm" suppliers. Which one is the type of place that has cheap bias ply tires? Not many of these places have any sort of online presence.....

11. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Anyone think these wheels might work? I'm sure the hole pattern is the same but I'd wonder about clearing the brakes and/or being too wide?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ptd/3207147931.html

Then again.... Could it be too wide? Not like it's going to stick out past the flatbed.

12. I would suggest then that you pick up the phone. Before the internet that was what I had to do. And what you want are inexpensive tires and not cheap tires unless you want to spend more time looking than driving.

Here is the deal and from what I can gather a realitively little known fact, farmers still run bias ply tires and those of them that I know actually prefer them. Most farmers with the exception of marijuana farmers and large corporate farmers live on a very tight budget and need to get every last bit of value out of every last cent that they have to invest. If yo u go to where they are shopping you will no doubt get the best value for your dollar that you are going to come across.

13. you should be able to run a 7:00 7:50x16" bias on those wheels, they aren'tthose darn 16.5 or 17 or 17.5 devils are they?
    had good dealin with these guys-even got select used tires....=try
    http://yournexttire.com
    they are in Nebraska/next day service to you there....

14. Do the truck tire shops still re-tread them? Might be an option.

15. OHHHHHH.....20" shoot....
    not sure the 16s will clear your drums or if offset is workable?

16. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Actually, currently they are 700-18s. Not sure how I missed saying that before....

17. I would just replace the tires with same size but... If you are gonna be at the boat ramp then make sure that you have a good parking brake and I would turn the rear end into a locker of some kind.
    If traction becomes an issue then you can always go with wider tires and use spacers between the rear wheels. That's what my "off-road" dually friends do.

18. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Good advice on the locker. I sunk my one-wheel-wonder last year at a sandy boat launch. Without a trailer attached! Now I just stick to the concrete ramps because it's too big of a PITA without 4wd.

I'd love to replace the tires with some the same size, but haven't found anything used and doubling my investment in the truck with new Cokers seems bonkers.

19. I would borrow or somehow get ahold of just one 16" dually wheel and test fit it on your truck first. If it works then you're in business.

20. One of the main reason those big trucks got parked: rearends went out and it costs a small fortune to buy tires for them. most of the time they sit and rot.

21. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Measured. Doesn't clear the bake drums. I think 17" duals would but where the eff am I going to find those. 19.5" semi steelies sound like a more likely find.

22. I got 18s on my '62 those tires are easy to find. What is wrong with the wheels that are on it anyway?

23. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

Nothing wrong with the wheels except that I can't find any tires (for under $200/each.) Called 3 local farm supply stores yesterday and the only thing they have in 700-18s are AG tires.

24. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Maybe swap in a new rear axle... tons of newer 1 ton dual axles out there... might make putting a locker in a bit easier, would allow you to run 16" tires ( 16" 1 ton tires are still not cheap ) but an all season radial would pretty much get lost under that big ol thing, & give you much better ramp traction ...

BTW... I put Alcola's on my O.T. 1 ton, & have a set of 16" steel wheels floating around here someplace...