Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tired of leaking header gaskets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, May 22, 2006.

1. I have done it too many times allready, and I have only had the V8 a year and a half or so. Those damn gaskets seem to blow out every now and angain.(Right Smitty)
    Well my good friend Magnus (New to the H.A.M.B.) came up with an idea, that I thought I would share.
    Use a donut type metal gasket! In my case from a Volvo, but I'm sure it will work with one from any car that uses them.
    You grind away the sharp edge on the inside of both the header and the exhaust and Ta-Da you have a gasket that won't blow! I have now been driving with a car that was extremly noisy for about a year, so it was such a treat to be able to drive the car witout the iritating roar from the leaking headers. And no it's not the same as driving with just the headers!

While we were under the hood Magnus tought us, Cindy an I how to change the valve seals!
    He made a tool from a bit of stap-metal and an old socket. Very easy took about 15 min. So now I dont have to think about burnt oil making the sparkplugs useles in about 1,500. miles, not to mention using 1 qt of oil every 3-400 miles.
    Thanks Magnus, it's so nice to be back in Sweden, and Lady Luck loves it too.

Klaus

Attached Files:

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Good call Klaus. Leaking exhaust sucks. I always blow out the gasket where the manifold bolts to the head. Instead of buying the cheap $10 gaskets, I decided to splurge and drop the extra bread on the solid copper gaskets. Seals up real tight and well worth the extra money