Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. verde742

verde742

its an AUSTIN 7

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Suthunman

Suthunman

I showed up here a few months ago, not knowing the difference in a hot rod and a street rod.
    I'm still not sure what's in the box and what isn't. My first thoughts were what difference dos it make and why get huffy about it, it's just car guys doing something they love.

I now understand the guys that run the show around here have the right to do as they please. They want a traditional hot rod site, have every right to do it their way and I respect that. It's a great place and many talented people here!

I don't know where my car falls on the homogenized scale and don't really care. I'm enjoying working on it and driving it. image.jpeg

3. This car has been a custom (kustom?) since new.

Bought new by Frank Balzano and mildly customized by John Balzano off the show room floor.

Built as a full custom in 1959.

The car was in the Capital Area of N.Y. in the late 90's early 2000's

These photo's were taken at a small cruise in at the other end of town.

IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0029.JPG

Information on this car from the book-

East VS. West ShowDown Rods, Customs and Rails

DualQuad55 and dana barlow like this.
  4. Ryan was good enough to open this thread again.

Everyone, please don't make him regret doing that.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  5. verde742

verde742

I recently got rid of all my "little books", (back to 1951) but before I did : there was a young man who build a little rod from Salt Lake City , Utah. it was white with red scallops. had a flat head, really low, ugly grille, had Chrysler Imperial Tailites, bolted just behind the interior. The body was totally designed and built by the young man. In the magazine it showed a side view with two young men sitting in it.. I always like the side view.
    So on a spur of the moment I looked up the man's name and called his listed number, we talked about his Rod, and I told him how much I like it 50 yrs ago. He said "Are you local? "
    I said No, I am in Arizona, He said well its here, and I am looking at. I could not believe what he was saying.. Anyway, anybody else remember that little rod from Utah?

6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Don't get sore. You asked for an honest opinion and got it.

Stogy likes this.
  7. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

X2

8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

9. You built up a good story, but you forgot to post some photos! You have me wondering what it looks like. Sounds cool though.

I guess the whole non- homogenized (am I saying this right) thing is what is getting me into the hobby. As I see it, the muscle cars built today are either restored, or pro street-ed. Meanwhile, traditional hot rods are cars built to the hilt and to the best of the ability of the owner, using period correct parts.

In my opinion, new parts still count if they are "in the spirit". I think this thread is trying to see how you can push the engineering of a trad hot rod so that it behaves like a newer street rod. That means parts of the era, used in unusual and ingenious ways.

Off hand, who thinks a front wheel drive 34 ford sounds traditional?

Look at the so cal 34 coupe and that is at least what I am thinking of. Rear facing engine and trans resulting in crazy front end geometry. It is not a "homogenous" make up at all, but it sure is traditional.

That is what gets me going, and that is why I am into the hobby. Can't wait to see more of what others come up with, and share some crazy ideas of my own.

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  10. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

11. verde742

verde742

I am truly sorry, like I stated, I got rid of my little books, Can't copy what I don't have.
    this whole subject reminded me of how much I loved the little roadster built out of a guy's imagination, I know it didn't have one metal body panel. Hope someone like Chip will read this and post the article from mid-50's. Most people liked it, till they read article.
    AND THE GUY THAT BUILT IT , STILL OWNS IT..

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  12. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Great thread! Here are a couple that came to mind. bubbletop1a.jpg ford-model-t-hot-rod-01.jpg

don colaps, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one is an Oregon car, a real one from the 50's, and they do drive it in the rain ! P1010033.JPG

14. verde742

verde742

but only in the rain if they want to drive it very often :rolleyes:

15. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What about Plowboy, he used to build some very classy one off hot rods.
    Lunar Lander
    Atomic Punk

Stogy and whtbaron like this.
  16. I heart this thread!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Lol

Stogy likes this.
  18. I never get Tired of homogenized hotrods . HRP

19. concreteman

concreteman

20. Pete

Pete

Ray can correct me if I'm wrong...which I am 90% of the time.

First off, thanks re instating this thread... Its a legit subject and question.

l don't think the subject is about "pushing" the envelope but more about not using so much "off the shelf" parts. Looking at the little books you saw lots of articles on making your own grill, one in particular was made with 2 headlights on each side of a '40 ford hood.... Others were similar but different.

There's so many cool things that can be done OR haven't been done in ages.......

Stogy, don colaps, Hackerbilt and 4 others like this.
  21. Pete

Pete

Thats nice.

Why post on a thread with absolutely nothing to contribute.

Stogy, toreadorxlt and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your ride could have been built 50 years ago or last month. Looks really cool. I remember passing up '33-'34 coupes back in the mid '70's because of the salt-flat type chop. Could kick myself in the ass today,l but it is just too late. There are not a million ways to build a somewhat traditional rod, so do what you want and tell any who disagree with you to show you their's or shut up.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally love Ford bodies(Chevy-powered, of course), but those '33-'35 standard Chevy coupes and sedans are as cool as Fords. I just wish owners would have stored them inside when they were put away. The heavy support-wood has so often spelled the death-knell for them.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. verde742

verde742

I have to agree, in our parts, for the 50 years I lived in SW Wash. State, often times we thought we found an old metal sign: Nope,

Just a pre-1937 Chevy, the wood had rotted out of, and the metal went flat.:rolleyes::p

BenLeBlanc and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Love that '55 Vicky.. 151229MJohn\'s\'27.jpg

Check this out. Michelle scrounged parts and built this low-buck. I can't keep up with where bits came from. The body has Stude, Dodge, Ford & maybe more. V8 is a cheap Holden. Check the bugs in the grille- had she completed a 600+ mile round trip the day before in 100+ heat? Totally legal in tough to rego SA- a go- anywhere car.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  26. DGee

DGee

Great thread and some cool cars. I really like the channeled cars but I'm a little taller.

BTW, I have most every HotRod mag ever printed up until the '90s or so. They were my Dad's and I have to do some serious inventory.

Before I comment more,

I better read the rules.

I wasn't aware there were rules when it came to Hot Rods but reading this thread tells me a lot.

I think I found the right place.

Atwater Mike, volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  27. Tony

Tony

Robert, thanks for spelling my name right! Thats a rarity even when its right in front of people! Hahaha
    And thanks for posting my old truck.
    It was definately a bit different then many truck, and it was a hotrod since the early 60's.
    There are a lot of cool rides posted.
    I always find myself more on the boring "been done a million times" side of my builds, but always enjoy seeing a quality, different style build.

Tony

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

29. How about freedom of speech?

Personally I like your car and many posted here but cars with tractor grills just don't do anything for me. HRP

Squablow, volvobrynk and ROADSTER1927 like this.
  30. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451358598.662495.jpg note the chrome grill shell